• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

interesting, AnnaN.  surely the TMX does not bake the loaf ?

soo out of curiosity , what does the TMX 'add' to the loaf ?

Unfortunately, BB&B does not carry the TMX   ( 20 % off, please )

or maybe Fortunately,   :huh:

No, the TMX does not bake the bread but it does spin the dough at shearing forces! The recipe is so counter intuitive that even I, who have made it a number of times, am still astonished (enjoying a slice topped with caramelized onion cheddar as we "speak"). My TMX is the older model 21 but I don't think the 31 makes much of a difference. You won't find coupons but mine was a gift and very, very occasionally an older model will show up on eBay but usually in Europe where they are hugely popular. The Australians are also big TMX users.

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/breads-rolls-recipes/easy-ciabatta-bread/129897

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I might give this a try in the Cuisinart 11 prep +

it has an effective metal dough blade, 

odd the TMX is not sold S. of the Border.

We Like Toys Tools in the Kitchen

Try it. You can only lose a bit of flour and yeast (and perhaps a Cuisinart). The blades, speed, and container are very different. Although the TMX is not sold south of the 49th, there are ways (PM me if you are serious!).

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Simple white sandwich bread.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

There is a TM 21 for sale on Craigslist in the Washington area for $500.

Another in Omaha for $500.

A TM 31 on E-bay - $1250 buy it now or $800 starting bid.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Bad cut?

Pretty minor this time, thank you for asking.  Although I wore a latex glove over the Band-Aid next day at work.

Speaking of gloves, I have cut resistant ones, but who would think to wear a cut resistant glove for slicing bread?

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Jo,

Never found cut-resistant gloves did anything for me except give me a false sense of security and encourage me to do things I would never dream of doing with bare hands!

image.jpg

This is pane di Genzano from All You Knead is Bread. This is a lovely bread baked in a pie plate. However, a little research leads me to believe it is far from the real McCoy.

Because it is baked in the pan in which it rises, it occurs to me that it would work very well on the Big Green Egg.

But since I don't have a Big Green Egg but I do have a big stainless steel Breville, for rotuts I baked it in there. Initially I had a pizza stone in the oven. I suspect it interferes with the operation of the Breville Smart oven. After five minutes I removed the pizza stone, burning myself only one or two times. Much as I love my oven I do not think these small toaster ovens are the appropriate tool for baking bread. Like the learned Samuel Johnson said in reference to another matter, "It's not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all." Next time it will go in the big oven.

My 2004 eG Blog

I finally found a place in Victoria that carries Caputo 00 Chef's Flour.

00%20flour%20Pizza%20August%2022nd%2C%20

Made a 500g batch of pizza dough and left it in the fridge overnight.   Took it out in the morning and shaped

two balls.  Back in the fridge for the day.

00%20flour%20Pizza%20August%2022nd%2C%20

Really good crust, both in texture and taste.

• Like 6

Ann_T,

Your pizza crust looks amazing. I have some of that flour as it is fairly easy to find here. Can you share your recipe for the crust?

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna,  I made a 500g batch, with 65% hydration (325g water) 2 g yeast and 12 g salt.   Mixed up by hand, using the pinch and fold method and left it overnight in the fridge. The dough is really soft.  I might try a 62% hydration next time. And maybe see what it is like with the addition of a little olive oil.

~Ann

• Like 2

Thanks very much, Ann. Hope to get around to pizza very soon.

image.jpg

Not sure if this belongs in the bread topic or in the daily sweets topic! Anyway two loaves of raisin bread from a Nick Malgieri recipe. No cinnamon to my daughter's dismay. Did not want to make a cinnamon swirl raisin bread. This is just an old-fashioned raisin bread.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, Beautiful loaves.  My husband would love your raisin bread.  Unfortunately for him, I don't do raisins. 

August%2026th%2C%202014-L.jpg

I baked a batch of my regular baguette dough yesterday, half baguettes and half small rounds.  

Sourdough%20Rye%20August%2026th%2C%20201

And I fed my sourdough starters early in the day, and made a biga that went into a batch of sourdough rye.

• Like 7

image.jpg

A rather mishapen and scarred loaf of sour cream sandwich bread. I think I have offended the kitchen gods. Yesterday my Keurig coffee maker decided to quit but after much futzing around and a little vinegar I was able to revive it. Today I watched my elephant ear cookies sit in the oven and slowly dehydrate. I had the temperature set for 375°F. But my oven thermometer was reading 290°F. I had a loaf of bread waiting in the wings.

Out of desperation I decided to put the bread in the Breville where it immediately got its top scorched. I futzed around with the oven trying convection, broil, bake... Suddenly it came back to life. This leaves me feeling very nervous about both my oven and my coffee maker. How does one propitiate the kitchen gods?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann – I love that pizza dough.  I really think there is nothing better than good crust on a pizza.  I do believe that I could eat yours with just a little olive oil and salt.  The ultimate test, I think!

Anna – lovely raisin loaves!  They would make excellent toast, I’m sure.

I did the CI American Sandwich bread for brisket sandwiches last night.  It is so nice to have a recipe that never fails.  I don’t bake yeast breads very often and when I do it can be a bit chancy.  But never with this recipe.  It always turns out like this:

med_gallery_3331_119_3624.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_148374.jpg

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_33084.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Back to lunchboxes tomorrow for school and work in this little corner of the world. Sandwich bread seemed appropriate.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

20140902_074409_zps196250b2.jpg

Carrot loaf, this time with boiled and grated carrots. It is really lovely.

20140902_074155_zps82df0f46.jpg

The same as above but with organic sulphate free raisins.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Thursday again so white sandwich bread.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I really do need to make one of your sandwich loaves.

Today's bread.

Sourdough%20September%204th%2C%202014%20

Started yesterday. Made a Biga early morning with my rye sourdough starter. Mixed up a batch of dough last night using 1000g white, 100 g rye, 500 g biga (100% hydration), 680g water, 3g yeast, 26 g salt. . After first rise, dough was stretched and folded and put in the fridge overnight. Pulled out this morning around 5:30 AM. Four loaves out of the oven before noon.
The Rye flour used to feed sourdough starter and added to the bread was milled Saturday at Scoops Natural Foods.

• Like 3

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bit of a bread disaster today. I was anxious to try out the new 12 inch Bread pan that I was given very recently and have posted about elsewhere. I used a recipe that always seems to overfill my normal 9 x 5 bread pan. I am fairly certain it was properly proofed both for the bulk fermentation and for the final rise. I suspect the issue might be an oven that was somewhat too hot. But ugly bread like ugly chocolates still gets eaten!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

No knead bread attempt #3

SYUEF0V.jpg

endvGxW.jpg

Didn't think while handling it, so the shape didn't turn out great once again, but you can call it rustic I guess.

I tried to take the caramelisation even further this time. The crust and crumb tasted pretty much the same as last time. It's so satisfying to bite into crispy, warm crust.

• Like 1