• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Smoked Meat

From what I saw on "Into The Fire" of Carnegie making their own product, pastrami is steamed and corned beef is boiled.  Montreal smoked meat would be, as it's named, smoked.

NY pastrami is also smoked. As far as the difference between NY pastrami & Montreal smoked meat. Old fashioned Montreal smoked meat uses the brisket cut, while NY pastrami is usually the plate cut. And spices used for Montreal smoked meat vs NY pastrami are a little different.

-Steve

I phoned my soon to be "Deli" person in NYC who has worked for over 20 years at both the "Stage Deli" and "Carnegie"...

Good grief Charlie Brown! This afternoon's episode of "Into The Fire" on FoodTV Canada featured Carnegie Delicatessen and Restaurant. I have never seen sandwiches like those in my entire life. 6" to 8" high, 3 1/2 lbs of meat! Nothing short of extraordinary. :shock:

The owner's favourite saying: "I only have two rules. First, you can't leave until you finish what's on your plate. Second, if I can see an empty plate, then I know I've done something wrong."

It's the case with all the major NYC delis serving pastrami. That's their standard size. It's ridiculous!!! I don't understand why the obsession in the US at many restaurants, with serving such huge huge portions.

-Steve

What a ramble, what a thread. With ties to Quebec I could not let this thread evolve without some input from people in the know...

NY Deli Digresses to Montreal Smoked Meat

Maybe some input from our Eastern Friends can help clarify the matter. Three questions:

1) What is the difference between authentic Montreal Deli vs. a NY Deli?

2) Who is serving the best Montreal Smoked Meat, right now?

3) Who is the king of the Montreal Deli Scene?

1) Probably not much of a difference - a deli is a deli; they sell delicatessen meats either sliced or in sandwich form & probably on rye bread; also sides such as fries, slaw & pickles.

2) Schwartz's - always has been, always will be

3) see 2) above.

For photos of what Montreal deli's look like, click here & then scroll down: Smoked Meat Marathon

• 1 year later...
Whenever I'm in Montréal, a stop at Schwartz's is a must!  I've never been disappointed and only wish I could get that quality of smoked meat here in Windsor  :sad:

gourmande--

not sure if this is prohibitively expensive, but you can order online, or at the very least go look at their pics and drool...

order online from Schwartz's (sp?)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I visited Schwartz’s for the first time in May. Arrived about 4 pm. Had a smoked meat sandwich, fatty, and an order of fries. The sandwich was good, very good, but not as amazingly incredible as I had hoped. The meat was pastrami-like. The Schwartz's sandwiches are not as big as the famous New York deli sandwiches like those at Carnegie Deli or 2nd Ave Deli, and they're about as tasty--but not tastier. The fries were ok but pretty greasy, several being inedible. The place itself was kind of grungy, but had a good vibe. Besides the classic New York delis, there are places in Westchester and Connecticut that can stand up to Schwartz’s—Bloom’s Kosher Deli in Hawthorn, NY; Gold’s Deli in Westport, CT.

For those who haven’t been to Schwartz’s, or are nostalgic, here are some pix:

gallery_44755_3514_110721.jpg

gallery_44755_3514_103906.jpg

gallery_44755_3514_14528.jpg

gallery_44755_3514_147807.jpg

gallery_44755_3514_60131.jpg

Edited by Parmhero (log)

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Passed by Ben's on Maisonneuve yesterday, and they were closed because the workers decided to go en grève. Has this been going on long?  Has it gotten much publicity?

While I would hate to see the workers loose their jobs, I would not mourn the permanent closing of Ben's, a pox upon the noble reputation of smoked meat.

Passed by Ben's on Maisonneuve yesterday, and they were closed because the workers decided to go en grève. Has this been going on long?  Has it gotten much publicity?

While I would hate to see the workers loose their jobs, I would not mourn the permanent closing of Ben's, a pox upon the noble reputation of smoked meat.

Seriously. Who cares about Ben's? The place blows.

Apparently, Ben's has as many fans as detractors. Disliking the food at a place doesn't seem to go hand in hand with wanting it to close down. Don't really understand that line of thinking.

Any news about this strike? Was it sudden, or planned? Has it been going on a while?

• 11 months later...

Hello All,

I been working on a montreal smoked meat recipe for a while now in my free time. My friends and family think my recipe is delicious and is comparable to the real thing. I am thinking to open up a little business to sell montreal smoked meat. But I need help to find the right oven to cook my briskets. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some manufacturers that can help me out in Quebec?

And if anyone is interested in trying my smoked meat please let me know, because I am interested in your opinon from true montrealers who know the real thing.

Your help is much appreciated!

SmokedMeatGuy

Although I have tasted much smoked meat over the years, I have never tried to make it.  My own suspicion is that the most important consideration is not the oven, but the meat.  I do recall that a few years ago a chef out in the Pacific Northwest, (was it Washington State or Vancouver ?) tried to come up with his own version and presented the process in great detail.  If I were making it from scratch, I would start there.

To me, there is only one Schwartz's.

Bill Brownstein wrote a book and did try to explain the secret...

WHAT DISTINGUISHES SCHWARTZ'S FROM THE OTHER MONTREAL SMOKED MEAT JOINTS? First of all, says Brownstein, there's the fact that Schwartz's doesn't use artificial preservatives. Their briskets -- generally made with Alberta beef -- are prepared in the old style. They marinate in a secret mixture of herbs and spices for 10 to 14 days, then spend a working day in the original smoker that founder Reuben Schwartz installed in the restaurant in 1928.

But even with the recipe -- which may have been leaked to competing St. Laurent Boulevard deli The Main by a disgruntled employee decades ago -- it is unlikely anyone would be able to replicate Schwartz's exact taste. That's because of the Schmutz Factor, according to Brownstein. The 80-year build-up of fat and spices in the restaurant's smokehouse gives the briskets a unique flavour that can't be copied.

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/montreal/...bf883ab6&k=2257

Hey!!! Don't knock Schmutz !!!!!

Many restaurateurs have built empires on the SCHMUTZ factor...

Not that the concept of Kitchen schmutz is all that appealing, it definitely can be attributed to some unique flavors.

;~>

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

• 10 months later...

The US Customs Regulations now allowed the import of Montreal smoked meat. Goat and lamb remain forbidden, but beef and, apparently all other meats and poultry, except for chickens from Saskatchewan (!), are now acceptable. Just brought a brisket across the border yesterday. Declared it and had no problem.