• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello

Hi all

I've been lurking here for years. But I'm finally making an account.

A brief introduction: I love food and cooking. I'm something of a kitchen knife nerd. Also a food science nerd. The epic eGullet sous vide thread was a great help to me when I was learning the technique.  I'm no culinary professional, but I've run a small-time competitive cooking league, catered a couple weddings for friends, and generally gotten in over my head when the opportunity presents itself.

People who frequent both forums might recognize me from chowhound, where I've posted for years. Looking forward to participating here.

Howdy, Cowboyardee.  Are you perhaps an Italian cowboy that's fond of canned ravioli?  So much easier to pack in your saddlebags, I'll warrant.

Glad you're here! 

But wonder...in what part of our globe do you tie up your hoss?

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Welcome!  Nice to see you decided to de-lurk!

There are a lot of us here who get in over our heads on a regular basis, and we always enjoy company so we can laugh and learn.  Toward that end: what does it mean to 'run a small-time competitive cooking league'?  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Howdy, Cowboyardee.  Are you perhaps an Italian cowboy that's fond of canned ravioli?  So much easier to pack in your saddlebags, I'll warrant.

Glad you're here! 

But wonder...in what part of our globe do you tie up your hoss?

:cool:

If you think about it, any manner of cowboy is bound to love beefaroni. My hoss is currently tied up in West Virginia.

Welcome!  Nice to see you decided to de-lurk!

There are a lot of us here who get in over our heads on a regular basis, and we always enjoy company so we can laugh and learn.  Toward that end: what does it mean to 'run a small-time competitive cooking league'?  

Thanks. Essentially, a friend and I started holding cooking contests against each other and write up the results, inviting other friends to judge the results... and eventually a few other people wanted to compete, including various local line cooks settling professional grudge matches. The format was basically similar to Iron Chef, except without sous chefs. It's defunct now but you can read some of the results if you're interested ( http://wpcwl.wordpress.com/ ). Basically, all that ever made it to the website were the earlier competitions between me and my friend. There were enough others to call it a 'league,' but only in the loosest sense.