• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The making of my own cookbook

gfron1

From my publisher

For Skyhorse, the "pub date" for your book is September 20. This is the "official on-sale" date and the date that most retailers will follow when putting the books out on their shelves for general consumers. That is the day that we consider your "book birthday" on social media.

The "release date" is the date in which your books are released from the warehouse and sent to retailers who had ordered them. This includes Amazon, for example. Warehouse space is extremely valuable for retailers like Amazon, so the second they get the books, they unpack them and immediately begin to fulfill preorders, which is why anyone who preordered the book will get it before its official "pub date." They simply can't allow stock to sit and take up room, so they turn it around quickly. The release date, for us, is exactly 21 days before the pub date.

The comp. copies due to you from your contract will be shipped from our warehouse this coming week (all orders are processed the 1st and 15th of each month for comp copies), so they should arrive between 5 and 10 days after that. I don't know when you should expect your larger order, as I wasn't part of that, but you should receive it before the date you entered in the Google doc. If you want me to check on that, let me know.

• Like 3

The editor sent me the test print (a final version from the printer before they do the full run). Now that I'm touching it - so love this! The paper quality, the color choices, of course the photography. The font...it's even more than I could have asked for. Now I just hope my recipes live up to the design!

14212638_10154299697199845_4683172219762

• Like 14

According to amazon, my copy has been shipped and arrives today.  Though truth be told, I cannot imagine foraging further than my New Jersey balcony.

@heidih working in a library, we like patrons to make recommendations.  Our library system just bought Herve This Molecular Gastronomy for me.  I took it home tonight.  I thought about requesting Acorns and Cattails, but I bought the book myself because something can be said for supporting the author.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I doubt anyone will notice it so can I toot a very small horn? I wanted the 2/3 dust jacket for my book. I didn't know if it was more or less expensive than what they normally would do, but the publisher agreed. They were already set to emboss the board, and I suggested the logos of an acorn on front and cattail on back. The original draft had the logos dead center. I suggested that they bump them up to just above the DJ to add a sort of depth to the appearance of the cover. They then ran with the idea and moved my name to the top of the spine to stick out above the DJ. All in all I am very happy with this effect. 

My agent and I keep saying how unusual and impressive it is to have a publisher who let's you have so much say in the design process. SkyHorse was fantastic to work with.

Now, as many of you are getting your hands on the books (I can not thank you enough!) any favorable reviews on Amazon are appreciated to help set the tone. I've already decided I absolutely can not read the Amazon reviews. I've seen how harsh those can be, and quite frankly, unlike my restaurant where I read every review and make adjustments as necessary, I can't do anything to fix the book if there are weaknesses, so even the kindest critical review will be hard for me to read - in fact, that's why it's so hard, I would want to fix things and know that I can't (unless there's a reprint).

• Like 7

I was wondering about the 2/3 dust jacket and how that came to be.  I noticed how the acorn and cattail embossing on the covers peek up above the dust jacket and your name stands out above it on the spine.  

The dust jacket photo is beautiful but the cover is very elegant by itself and I thought perhaps the 2/3 jacket was chosen to draw attention to it.    

We should probably start another thread for discussion of the book, since this is your thread about bringing it to being but I must say that the book is a feast for the eyes, like a piece of art. It does a beautiful job of communicating your passions for foraging sustainably and cooking with great imagination and exuberance.  What a wonderful tribute to the whole community that enabled you to become the chef you are and make your restaurant the special place it was!  Congrats!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

That is exactly it. I very often take the dj off my cookbooks because I'm going to use them in the kitchen with messy hands. So I wanted the boards to stand on their own as something beautiful. Where the designer upped my idea was the gold inner paper off the board (there's a technical term for that page but I don't know what it is) that played off the gold emboss. Such a nice touch and a good example of the relationship between me and the designer on this project.

Stay tuned for possibly another topic that might do what you suggest - it's a great idea and is being discussed by the managers and hosts. I will, however, have a bit more to say on this thread about the business of making a cookbook now that I enter the sales end of things.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, gfron1 said:

@Shelby I had to laugh because I opened your post to this table setting. The only difference is I've finished more of my coffee :)

14102633_10154308382419845_1356023971352

:DTwins!

Iced coffee helps with the humidity a bit for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I just finished reading about Lexi.  Loved it.  What a good girl you have there!  

She is my baby and I will be so lost without her - she's 13 and doing well but much slower than the good ol' days of her an me on the trail.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm guessing I shouldn't talk about the book specifics in this topic?  I've already learned something I never knew I could eat is about 2 steps away from my door.

I would encourage you to wait. There's something on the horizon that will be announced Tuesday here at eG.

• Like 6