• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The making of my own cookbook

gfron1

Where is your dinner going to be held in Indianapolis?

Will there be any other chefs involved?

Will the dinner feature stuff foraged in-and-around Indy or stuff in "more general situations or locales"?

I pre-ordered your book through your website some time ago - is the Indy dinner inclusive of a cookbook or is it not? (I don't need a second copy of the book)

Edited by huiray (log)

On June 21, 2016 at 10:31 AM, huiray said:

Will the dinner feature stuff foraged in-and-around Indy or stuff in "more general situations or locales"?

I pre-ordered your book through your website some time ago - is the Indy dinner inclusive of a cookbook or is it not? (I don't need a second copy of the book)

Hey - I saw some purslane in a garden along side Maryland Ave by the Westin. You could forage it in advance for Rob.

On 6/21/2016 at 8:31 AM, huiray said:

Sorry for the delay. I just moved my life across country and am just tonight back online. To answer your questions - I am still looking for a site in Indy. I will work alone although I might pull in a culinary student for the assist. Time and weather will determine if I use local ingredients. I know I am going to stock up on my New Mexico acorns because they're so awesome! And for folks who pre-ordered the book I'll be adjusting the price of the dinner...not sure how but probably telling them to pay for their seat the night of instead of on the website.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hey - I saw some purslane in a garden along side Maryland Ave by the Westin. You could forage it in advance for Rob.

Heh. (Was it on public land or private?)

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

Sorry for the delay. I just moved my life across country and am just tonight back online. To answer your questions - I am still looking for a site in Indy. I will work alone although I might pull in a culinary student for the assist. Time and weather will determine if I use local ingredients. I know I am going to stock up on my New Mexico acorns because they're so awesome! And for folks who pre-ordered the book I'll be adjusting the price of the dinner...not sure how but probably telling them to pay for their seat the night of instead of on the website.

Thanks for the reply.

Hope you settle in nicely in StL.

7 hours ago, huiray said:

Not sure about that - it was a garden that looks like it was maintained (but not well considering the huge 'weed' growth).

8 hours ago, huiray said:

I'll tell you what, this question really is resonating with me right now. In the past three months I've engaged with four different professional foragers, all of whom I have serious concerns about their ethics. Names are irrelevant, but they all work for nationally known chefs. A Chicago-based forager told me that his chef said he wanted some Lillies, so he walked down the street and snipped a bunch from a local bank's flower box. That's stealing. That's polluted. You don't know if pesticides were used. My problem is with the chef who doesn't care enough to ask where/how the plant was foraged. I wonder how the customers of that restaurant would feel knowing that's where their meal came from.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, gfron1 said:

My problem is with the chef who doesn't care enough to ask where/how the plant was foraged.

Or doesn't care, period. Or perhaps the forager lied. All problems, of course.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Or doesn't care, period. Or perhaps the forager lied. All problems, of course.

Would misrepresenting the provenance be foragery?

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would misrepresenting the provenance be foragery?

:D:P

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...

At long last - an update!

I received a review on Publisher's Weekly. Quite frankly, I wasn't happy with it even though it was a favorable review. My problem was that they ignored the 80+ easy recipes and focused on the 2 hard ones. So I ignored the review because why would I want to promote that. 

Both my agent and editor were happy about the review. When I shared my concern the editor sent me this:

I agree with you, for sure, but overall it was a really positive review. PW rarely reviews cookbooks, and oftentimes their reviews are very harsh, so this is definitely in the win column. Bookstores may consider trade reviews when ordering the book for their shelves, but customers rarely do. (Very few customers know what PW, Kirkus, etc. even are.)

So, now I like this review :) even though I still won't promote it. This publishing world continues to fascinate me.

• Like 5

Today I started a Facebook page specifically for the book. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I thought it made more sense to keep likes/friends/follows focused on my existing social media, but when I tried to Promote a page from my personal page I wasn't able - you can't promote on personal pages. So I moved the post over to my old restaurant page, but that's confusing since I'm promoting with city-specific audiences and they won't know what a Curious Kumquat is. Today I went ahead and started the new page. While I may not get many Likes on it at this late date, I will be able to promote through it. 

• Like 6

Spent the morning promoting the book to anyone in New Mexico or Missouri that does holiday gift guides. Now's the time since most of them are monthly magazines. I'm also deciding which IACF category to submit the book for consideration. I'm leaning the First Timers category, but I may do Chef/Restaurant. I think I have a better chance in the First Timer category. All books are automatically entered in the design category which I think we have a strong chance at.

• Like 3

I just received a confirmation email from my local library system: "Thank you for recommending Acorns & Cattails: A Modern Foraging Cookbook of Forest, Farm & Field...I have ordered it and placed a hold for you. You will be notified when it is ready to pick up at your home library."

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I just received a confirmation email from my local library system: "Thank you for recommending Acorns & Cattails: A Modern Foraging Cookbook of Forest, Farm & Field...I have ordered it and placed a hold for you. You will be notified when it is ready to pick up at your home library."

That's super fun! I'll tell my friends in GR that they can thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Be kind to me my friends ... this is my first video. I will be releasing a series of videos in support of Acorns & Cattails being published on September 20th. These videos allowed me to get into what's important and exciting about foraging. Enjoy! HERE

• Like 6

I learned late on Friday (after my publisher's office closed in NYC) that the book will be shipping next week - 3 weeks early! I'm sure I'll hear more on Monday, but if you were waiting til the last minute to order - now is the time. And if you ordered through our website and want a custom inscription for a gift or yourself, please send that asap. Thanks again for all your support to this point, and please encourage your friends to get one as well to show your appreciation for good scratch food, foraging, beautiful photography or just me :)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Amazon says the book is now in stock.  I just placed my order.

This whole thread has been about learning, and even as we near the end it appears I'm learning about distribution. I'm interested to hear from my publisher when I will get my books for the folks who ordered through my site.

• Like 2