• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shaking with water ice is not the best way to make cocktails at home

Shalmanese

Strawberry Margarita

cocktail3.jpg

Ingredients

1.5oz Herradura Silver Tequila at room temperature

2oz Clarified Strawberry Lime juice at fridge temperature

0.5oz Cointreau at room temperature

For the juice:

Puree half a pound of strawberries with 2 limes.

Add half a pack of gelatin to a few tsp of water (I would do a quarter pack next time), let sit for 5 minutes.

Heat gelatin mix in the microwave until completely clear (30s), add to puree.

Put in fridge for 2 hours, then in the freezer for 4 hours.

Take the frozen puree and put over a cheesecloth lined strainer in the fridge overnight.

To prepare:

Mix the tequila, juice & cointreau in a container, stash in freezer for 2 hours

Brush the outside of a glass with saturated salt solution, roll in sugar, stash in freezer

Take both out, pour mixture into glass, drink.

I didn't have any Pectinex or a centrifuge so I decided to use gelatine freeze-thaw to clarify the juice. I put a little bit too much in which means my yield was only 2 oz of clarified juice. After taking the photo, I measured the drink to be at -5.5C. The strawberry flavor was present but relatively muted at that temperature. After letting it warm to -2C, the strawberry flavor was much more pronounced.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

• 3 weeks later...

The importance of water is not to be understated.

You couldn't just substitute pineapple juice for water and get a better drink. You need the water to reduce the intensity of ingredients that (simple syrup, lemon juice, certain spirits to certain people) just don't taste that great on their own. I know you're aware of this already, but it's worth observing.

And, speaking as a bartender who uses more distilled water behind the bar than any other product, for some reason adding water to mimic shaken-ice dilution just doesn't quite achieve the same result. I'm not sure why this is. Even a martini that just rests on ice without stirring doesn't taste the same to me as one that is stirred to the same level of dilution. I can't really explain this but it seems to be the case.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

• 2 weeks later...

Once when I had a bottle of gin in the freezer, I took it out to make a Martini, and I suddenly thought, "Hey, the gin is cold, the vermouth is cold.  No need to stir with ice--all I have to do is measure them out and pour them right into the glass, right?"  WRONG.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Once when I had a bottle of gin in the freezer, I took it out to make a Martini, and I suddenly thought, "Hey, the gin is cold, the vermouth is cold.  No need to stir with ice--all I have to do is measure them out and pour them right into the glass, right?"  WRONG.

Well, yes, you need to add additional water to replace the ice melt.

PS: I am a guy.