• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buckwheat vs. Buckwheat Groats vs. Kasha

weinoo

I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill buckwheat cereal to try for breakfast (it sucks)...

1095C184_OG_CreamyBuckwheat_s_450.jpg

But is it the same as buckwheat groats, or is something done to groat-a-lize them?

And kasha - what gives?

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Buckwheat groats is the whole kernel, and what you bought is also the whole kernel, but cut, very much like steel cut oats.  Kasha is the groats, but roasted, which is used often in cereals (porridge), the dish Kasha Varnishkas (mmm!) and as a filling in knishes, amongst other uses.  Brings back memories of the Knish Nosh on Queens Blvd.

... Shel

Well the question is: "Is kasha a dish or a grain or both?"   It appears to be a dish.  According to Wikipedia, kasha comes from kashi which means porridge and depending on where you are in the world it can be made form a variety of groats (aka berries).  

What you have appears to the same as what you'd get if you bought a box of kasha, so I'd go ahead and make kasha with it.

Here's my mom's kasha recipe (and I assume it was passed down through the generations):

Beat an egg and then mix it thoroughly with the kasha and let it dry (about an hour).  Meanwhile saute a diced onion and set aside.  Heat up a large pan on high heat and spread out the kasha, tossing and toasting it until you get little wisps of smoke.  Reduce the heat to simmer and pour in boiling water to just cover the kasha.  Cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed.  Stir in the onions and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Some people like to add in bowtie pasta creating Kasha Varnishkas.  I don't bother.  It is much better when served with mushroom/beef gravy!

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Well the question is: "Is kasha a dish or a grain or both?"   It appears to be a dish.  According to Wikipedia, kasha comes from kashi which means porridge and depending on where you are in the world it can be made form a variety of groats (aka berries).  

What you have appears to the same as what you'd get if you bought a box of kasha, so I'd go ahead and make kasha with it.

Here's my mom's kasha recipe (and I assume it was passed down through the generations):

Beat an egg and then mix it thoroughly with the kasha and let it dry (about an hour).  Meanwhile saute a diced onion and set aside.  Heat up a large pan on high heat and spread out the kasha, tossing and toasting it until you get little wisps of smoke.  Reduce the heat to simmer and pour in boiling water to just cover the kasha.  Cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed.  Stir in the onions and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Some people like to add in bowtie pasta creating Kasha Varnishkas.  I don't bother.  It is much better when served with mushroom/beef gravy!

Is chicken fat or schmaltz the preferred frying medium?

That's very much like my mom's recipe, but I don't recall her letting it sit for an hour--does it make a big difference?

No idea as I've always followed the recipe. I would assume it'd be harder to toast well when wet.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

But I remember kasha as being whole, and what's in the bag appears to be cut. I'm not sure how that would take to the kasha treatment, since there's so much more surface area, so many different sizes of particle, and nothing to keep the pieces separate.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2