• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to find paper/carboard thingy/like an egg ring/for building a tall sandwich

jaymer

Whew, thats a long topic!

So i was watching a Triple-D episode where a restaurant owner made this tall sandwich... like a pork sandwich with cole slaw and other stuff. 

They assembled this paper-based "ring" (texture seemed like coated business card) and then put the bottom bun in it. Then proceeded to pack in the meat & toppings, then top bun.  Customer removes the ring at their table.  Keeps all the insides from falling out while building it in the kitchen.

I've spent 40 minutes on google trying to find this item, or even an image of a sandwich made this way.  

I'm hoping someone here can find out how I can order some of these.

Thx for the help

Jaymer...

PS

Obviously, I'm not talking about std. deli wrap paper.

And I'm not interested in just some wrap to enclose a sandwich before serving.

Can't use a metal ring. Its going to be disposed of.

If I want it to go around a 4-inch bun, thats pi * d for circumference, (3.14159*4), so its a cardboard piece thats probably 13-14 inches long and 2-3 inches high.  It had a notch near each end so it locked into itself.

jaymer,

I am not trying to be smart but are you looking for these in commercial quantities? If not, it doesn't seem particularly difficult to make these yourself. I seem to recall a long time ago a similar sleeve for big Macs.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I probably could make a few as a test. But I need a 70-lb stock, longer than 11 inches, coated preferable (for grease/etc). I'll check with a print shop friend and see if he has something. I was just stunned I spent so long searching and couldn't find it. Maybe that rest. made their own also. Thanks!

My local Costco uses paper rings to help their employees make the BBQ Pulled Pork sandwiches that they sell at their pizza/hot dogs stand. The customer takes the ring off when they go to eat the sandwich.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver