• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spouses Cooking Together

Porthos

I, personally, like being considered a culinary oracle in our kitchen. ;-) Seriously, it sounds like you work it out pretty well, under the circumstances, and remember the most important part: sharing your meals and your love for each other.

My darling and I have such radically different cooking styles that we generally just cook solo. He's a minimalist who hates to use more than 1 pot or skillet for a meal; I may have the entire counter covered with prepped foods and resting foods, and it can be downright dangerous to get in my way when I'm whirling through the points of the work triangle. The only downside to our disparate styles is that, while he enjoys the results of my cooking, he refuses to take part in cleaning up what he considers an excessive amount of mess, despite my cleaning as I go. Cleanup has necessarily become my quiet time alone, listening to a book. :-D

It does sound a bit glamorous, but I really can't live up to the expectations that seem to cling to being an actual culinary oracle in our kitchen :-P.

Especially on the few nights I'm completely off kitchen duty and get pulled into cooking from the couch anyway, because he simply won't read an instruction. It comes across as being a bit too convenient, as he could at least try to figure it out for himself at first imo.

From the start I've been very clear about being greatly attracted to handsome men doing dishes :wink: Made sure this was really clear and even if we'd jokingly laugh about it, he wasn't taking any risks in the beginning of our relationship :raz: Opening up about this fetish, can be really helpful!

I guess having him in the kitchen with me, opened his eyes to seeing how much labour (and love) goes into some of his (now) favourite dishes he would never cook by himself or just aren't as good as when I make them (ha!). So that gave him some understanding to why there sometimes is so much washing up to do and he does see that doing the dishes can be a lot less work than making that delicious meal. He also listens to audio books, podcasts or music while doing cleaning and we both enjoy some music during cooking. Not everything is appreciated (broad tastes in music, which luckily does have some overlap), so this might cause a slight bickering every now and then. He must really love me though as he actually seems to enjoy me singing along and off key, while he has a proper musical background. On good days, some dancing might even be included.

But yes, you're right about it working out pretty well and appreciating each other for that is very important.