• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PureFizz vs SodaStream: your take?

rotuts

Im finally thinking of getting a home 'soda' or seltzer maker

I found this review:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-soda-maker/

they like the PureFizz better than the SodaStream

Im  only interested in fizzy water, not flavor packets etc

I used to have a siphon years ago, aluminum shell, CO2 cartridges etc

If you have a soday stream, would you get one again ?

many thanks

I don't know how we lived without our Soda Stream. I think we've had ours for at least three years???  Yes.  I would definitely get one again.  We use it every day.  No flavored water here, either.  Just fizzy water with ice and a lime.  Delicious and refreshing.

Edited to add, there is a thread regarding the SS here.  You might have already perused it.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/135986-sodastream-–-at-home-soda-maker/page-2?hl=%2Bsoda+%2Bstream#entry1897909

Edited by Shelby (log)

I have one and never use it and I'd not have wasted the time and money if I knew then what I know now.

Didn't like the flavors of the syrups; they all tasted 'off' to me.  I wanted to like their tonic water (one of the main reasons I bought the SS) but neither the regular nor the diet tonics tasted right.

So now I just buy my soda in cans from the grocery store (Safeway has its own brand and it's very good) and I like them much better!

And, by the way, the canisters and the bottles are a giant pain-in-the ass.

Edited by lindag (log)

I'd get one if we had room. Forget the flavor packets. It would be all about the Big Questions, like, "what can I carbonate that I'm not supposed to?"

Top of the list: French chardonnay. Dave Arnold and Nils Noren reported making some shockingly good, shockingly cheap fake champagne.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

I'd get one if we had room. Forget the flavor packets. It would be all about the Big Questions, like, "what can I carbonate that I'm not supposed to?"

We used a co-workers SS to carbonate bourbon.

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I got a Primo really cheap last year at Lowe's because they were discontinued. Aside from the really cheap price for the unit and accessories (I got two extra bottles and an extra cartridge) the main reason for getting it was the fact that it uses the same cartridges as paintball guns and they can be refilled at the sports store really cheaply. I like it, I make all sorts of drinks, but mostly Italian sodas with Torani or Monin syrup (Homes Goods & TJ Maxx usually have a few flavors at a discounted price) and my homemade tonic water. I've been meaning to get some soda fountain ingredients to make phosphates and such, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I've been considering one of these also. Just noticed that Amazon has a mail-in rebate offer of $20 back if you buy a SodaStream for $65 or more. Scroll down for the rebate details. I think it's good on any of the SodaStream appliances if purchased by August 31st. 

SodaStream

• Like 1

We have soda stream and use it daily.  No flavors.  It tastes fine (H20 plus CO2) and it matters a lot to me that we do not throw away (ok, recycling) bottles or cans.  Plastic bottles that come with soda stream last several years.  The cheapest place to get CO2 canisters is Bed Bath and Beyond if you use your coupons.  5 dollars off 15 dollars purchase gives you better value than 20% off one item.

• Like 2

Got a Soda Stream four years ago as a gift and it's been great. I agree with others that the flavored syrups are generally not so great, but they're nice to keep on hand just in case. But if all you're looking for is soda water, it does the job quickly and easily. We most commonly use it to stretch a splash of fruit juice into a full-on drink - a nice alternative to sodas. Great for cocktails too. Premium tonic syrups are also a good companion; Tomr's Tonic is my favorite.

• Like 1

If you have a soday stream, would you get one again ?

many thanks

I have a Penguin Soda Stream. It is at least 5 years old. If it broke I would replace it immediately. I would, however, compare newer products as so many more are available now.  

Top of the list: French chardonnay. Dave Arnold and Nils Noren reported making some shockingly good, shockingly cheap fake champagne.

I once tried carbonating red wine. The result was a mini explosion that resulted in a sticky red spray coating many surfaces on my bar and clogging the soda stream. It took me quite a while to get all the nooks and crannies of the soda stream cleaned out so that it would work again. 

Link?  I can't find it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I just carbonated some cheap rum. I gave it four shots of carbonation, which is a lot for a Primo. It came out with a few very tiny bubbles. The first taste was good, it seemed to have added a sharp edge to the flavor. A few minutes later, and the carbonation was gone. I am guessing that the rum didn't have much to nucleate on in it. Tomorrow I'll try something with sugar content, like Sailor Jerry's or maybe some Amaretto di Sarono.

LS :  is this the 'primo' you are talking about :

http://www.amazon.com/Primo-flavorstation-Beverage-Maker-Model/dp/B006CXP2AM

thanks

Yes, that's it. Works great for me. IIRC I paid a little less, but, would still buy it again. Actually, a quick look at eBay shows several sellers with units well below that price.

If anyone is interested, get some of the extra bottles while you can, the bottles from the other soda machines will NOT fit this machine. BTW, the bottles are 500ml or 1l. I use the 500ml which is perfect for one or two people and fits nicely in the fridge.

The cartridges for it are called 'Sparklers' and are refillable at sporting goods stores like Dicks for about $3. Amazon no longer sells them, but eBay has a few. I got one in addition to the one that comes with the unit, just in case.

The cartridges for it are called 'Sparklers' and are refillable at sporting goods stores like Dicks for about $3. Amazon no longer sells them, but eBay has a few. I got one in addition to the one that comes with the unit, just in case.

How many bottles of water can you carbonate with one cartridge? And how would this thing work for non-standard bottles (we used a regular wine bottle to make fake champagne in the soda stream)?

Notes from the underbelly

How many bottles of water can you carbonate with one cartridge? And how would this thing work for non-standard bottles (we used a regular wine bottle to make fake champagne in the soda stream)?

I'm still on my first cartridge, so, I don't know. It's big, though. It takes up most of the back post of the machine.

The machine requires that you screw a bottle onto the underside of the top to work. The proprietary bottles have a rather wide mouth, I have not seen anything similar. Generally, I just pour everything into the manufacturer's bottles and go from there.

I'm happy with my SodaStream which I use just for plain seltzer, which tastes fine to me.  I decant the soda into turquoise Italian (Bormioli Rocca) 1 liter glass bottles with stoppers. They're available at Amazon.com but are cheaper at The Container store.  Perhaps it's just my intimagination, but the tastes better from glass. I drink vast quantities of it in the summer.

I ended up w the PrueFizz :

PFizz.jpg

the reviews are correct :  it makes very very fizzy water.

it is not a siphon.  it has two tops, that twist on to create the sealed container.

the pic above is the top that takes the charger, which you can take off.

after your first drink, you sub in the top that's just plain.

note in the pic there is a small piston that's slightly elevated.

after you gently mix the 'cold personal beverage'  you put it back in the refrig to equilabrate.

before you open it for that first sip, you push the plunger down to release pressure before you

open it.  note the white funnel.  this fits snuggly in the metal container and you use it to 

1 ) make not as bad a mess when you fill it

2 ) it indicates how full you should fill : at the bottom of the white part.

this leave space above the liquid for the compressed gas.

etc.

it is a very odd size  :  0.75 liters.  very odd  :huh:

but wait !  thats the size of one bottle of wine !    :laugh:

they say to get the wine very cold, then leave it in the frig for further time to get really small bubbles.

Im currently out of my House White :blink:  ( TJ's chardonnay from Chile  ....  its inexpensive

but did have a large price increase  :   3.99 in TaxAChussettes, up to 4.49  its dry and has no oak.

good enough for me )

I usually have several cases  'with in reach'

so next time I re-supply  Ill give that a 'taste' with fizz

might even find some blackberry syrup for a 'Kir'

0.75 is just about right for an individual serving

:laugh:

the recapped 'beverage'  stayed fizzy, better I think than plastic bottles.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I got the PF based on the review I initially ref'd, at the top.

its not a syphon, there is no lever to 'squirt' out the fizzy water.  you pour it.

take a look at the review.    this manufacturer 'encourages' you to make 'flavored' waters

Ill report on the wine soon as I get another bottle(s)