• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonavita Immersion Dripper

weinoo

Since I can't ever have enough different ways to brew coffee, I got me one of these...

2014_08_03_126.JPG

It combines (imo) the best attributes of French press without the muddiness that sometimes comes from same.  So far, after brewing with it twice, I am liking the hell out of it.

rotuts will be happy to know that I ordered it from BB&B, and got 20% off  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: !

Here's how I roll drip...

2014_08_03_127.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble conjoining 'immersion' and 'dripper'.  This device looks like one of the drip cones - I have several by Melitta - but this one looks like it also has a control valve at the bottom, presumably to control the drainage rate.  Is that right?  What's special about it...and how does it immerse?  :huh: It does look like the coffee in the receiving pot is beautifully filtered. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Brewing coffee via what's called the "immersion" method can take place with various tools.  French press is an immersion method of brewing coffee. Aeropress is too. Siphon also.

From coffee universe:

Full immersion brewers are called this because they feature brewing with the grounds steeping in the hot water for a longer period of time. As with the French Press, the grinds are loaded into the device, hot water is added, and after a certain time (4 minutes is the standard), a plunger with a metal filter attached is pushed down, pushing the grounds to the bottom, leaving brewed coffee on the top portion

The Bonavtia takes this a step further because it allows for full immersion brewing (by allowing the user to control the amount of time the ground coffee and water are in contact with each other) and combines it with manual pourover drip using a paper (or metal) filter. Hence, the best of both worlds -  the body of the coffee done via French Press (immersion) with the filtering of the oils and sediment of a drip...Immersion Dripper!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I think it's even cleverer.

Wait for it - because whenever I use one of those devices that releases the valve to start the flow by placing it on a cup or a carafe, I make a mess.  With this one, I make less mess.

But - it's the same principal, yes.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Hmm. "Less mess" sounds promising, but not as good as 'no mess'. I was thinking this might be a good alternative to the french press for cleaning: with a drip cone I remove the filter paper, grounds and all, and the cleanup is done except for a quick rinse maybe of the cone. Is this (or any) immersion dripper prone to tipping? Please describe the mess factor in more detail. You may save me from a quick shopping trip. ;-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Clean up is the same as with a drip cone.

But as I explain to my wife (and sometimes others), cooking, making coffee, etc. creates a mess...that's just the way it is.

Tasty Travails - My Blog