• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trifle report

cyalexa

Tonight at the back of the refrigerator, behind the butter, I found half a jar of Georgian walnut preserves.  The perfect accompaniment to any trifle.  I can as well report that with my flour based pastry cream recipe there has been no syneresis, even after several days.

I also found an open jar of Dijon mustard.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I also found an open jar of Dijon mustard.

I know there are uncounted variations of trifle but I do hope the discovery of the Dijon did not in anyway tempt you to create yet another. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I know there are uncounted variations of trifle but I do hope the discovery of the Dijon did not in anyway tempt you to create yet another. 

Wait, I’m sure we need a “Savory Trifle” topic…if we don’t already have one!  
Maybe a Pigs in Blankets Savoury Trifle for the holidays?  I think a little Dijon would be perfect in that. 

kidding, just kidding

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Am I a bad person to put ice cream on a trifle?

Not if you have no chantilly cream - hell even if you do!

• Like 1

Am I a bad person to put ice cream on a trifle?

Such an act may not be judged as morally reprehensible but might offend the sensibility of some… let’s say those with even a sliver of a gene dating back to King Arthur. In other words a Brit of any stripe. But carry on. Best not to waste that trifle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My late mother was enormously proud of her trifle, the only dish she was ever proud of. 

She only ever made it for Christmas dinner. We all ate it politely.

I guess the French don't really do trifle.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

My late mother was enormously proud of her trifle, the only dish she was ever proud of. 

She only ever made it for Christmas dinner. We all ate it politely.

I guess the French don't really do trifle.

What was your mother's trifle like?

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not if you have no chantilly cream - hell even if you do!

Both of course.  I assumed that went with out saying.  Reprise tonight.  Good I must say.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

My mother's 'recipe' for trifle was largely canned mixed fruit in syrup and powdered custard. She never made a real custard in her 92 years.

I go back to Harry Hornes or Birds every time. Just doesn’t taste like trifle with real! 

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I go back to Harry Hornes or Birds every time. Just doesn’t taste like trifle with real! 

Birds for my mother. I am sure the same tin supplied about ten years worth of Christmases. I haven't had a trifle since I left for university 51 years ago.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto