• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trifle report

cyalexa

It took most of a day to make and generated a lot of dirty pans and bowls but was very good and impressed my guests. I would make it again, assuming berries in season and adequate time. My bowl was a little smaller than called for in the recipe so I only used 1 lb strawberries and had a little pastry cream and cake left over.

trifle.jpg

the recipe is at

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7412-summer-berry-trifle

• Like 9

I saw this show, and the result certainly looked good.

how was the chiffon cake in the trifle ?

if would be a lot of fun if there were a thread on

'your take, on what you made, from a PBS cooking show'

• Like 1

I have long wanted to make a trifle and even have a trifle-suitable bowl although it has no pedestal and is...(ooops)...plastic.  Yours is gorgeous and I just might go for it for the upcoming Dog Weekend.  How to win friends and influence people.  I guess.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I saw this show, and the result certainly looked good.

how was the chiffon cake in the trifle ?

if would be a lot of fun if there were a thread on

'your take, on what you made, from a PBS cooking show'

The trimmings of the chiffon cake just tasted sweet. Once incorporated into the trifle I appreciated its texture and of course, it tasted of berries and cream sherry, ie. good!

I make a fair number of things from ATK. Typically, I am pleased with the results. 

I have long wanted to make a trifle and even have a trifle-suitable bowl although it has no pedestal and is...(ooops)...plastic.  Yours is gorgeous and I just might go for it for the upcoming Dog Weekend.  How to win friends and influence people.  I guess.

I think it was well worth the effort. Can you keep a big bowl cold at your "Dog Weekend"? If I was making this for an event I would consider making individual servings in clear plastic cups. My husband used to have show dogs. Now we just have 3 misfits: one born deaf and dumped here; one with hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder, found injured in the road near my house; one hugely paranoid female "retired" from a breeding colony, probably culled for producing crazy puppies.    

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention, I bought the trifle bowl at WalMart (do you have those?) for about $7. It was about a pint smalerl than the volume produced by the recipe but I knew that in advance and adjusted. 

I bought my trifle bowl at IKEA...  yeah I was amazed they had one that was perfect.  

Anyway,  that will up on the dessert list, I havent made trifle in a while and I think we need it after seeing this  gorgeous  trifle. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

you can see it made here:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/videos/2701-summer-berry-trifle

for free.  but you got to pay'em for the list of ingredients

The recipe is here, in exchange for your email address (fair trade in my opinion!):

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7412-summer-berry-trifle

this was a message on the 'give us your email, then this seasons content will be free'

site.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7412-summer-berry-trifle

try it North of the Border.

Id use a 'junk' email address.

never know what Kimball is up to .....

Sorry the link didn't work for you. If you want the recipe send me a PM. 

Your Trifle is beautiful.   One of my favourite desserts.   I have a recipe that I have been using for over 35 years.  

Thank you. I am interested in your recipe, is it posted somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Yum! These trifles look amazing. I've never made one with as many layers as these and I'll be altering mine next time. I've attached a pic of my usual trifle. I use jam rolypoly at the bottom, I love the effect it creates against the glass :)

trifle.jpg

Edited by Sophie Cook (log)
  • Like 2

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

That does look pretty, Sophie - of course, having a bowl like that helps!

My late mother-in-law was a trifle-making champion.  Her technique was to roughly break up the sponge, then pour jelly over it before it sets.  Then a layer of custard and finally whipped cream.  Yes - no sherry or other alcohol!  Sacrilege!!  But it was really good.  If I'm nice to her, Wifey sometimes makes it too.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 8 years later...

Having some organic raspberries to use up I made a trifle.

Trifle09072022.jpg

The whipped cream on the serving portion was courtesy of nitrous oxide.  Whipped cream used to lighten the pastry cream for layering was whipped by hand by me.

I never use a recipe for trifle.  This made just enough to fill my 2 1/2 quart CorningWare soufflé dish:

1 recipe pastry cream

1 1/2 cups (more or less) heavy cream

1 package (7 oz) Whole Foods lady fingers

1/3 jar Mackays seedless blackberry preserve

1/3 bottle Pusser's Navy Rum

raspberries

Seconds are OK.  Thirds and you may not be standing.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never use a recipe for trifle. 

This says it all for me.

But rum? Shudder. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I always use creme sherry, like Harvey's Bristol.  

When thinking of trifle, I always recall hosting people from Montana.   The husband was a no-nonsense food guy.     Keep it beef and potatoes and apple pie.     But I served a sherry-tipsy trifle.     He took a bite, lit up like a Christmas tree and hooted, "What IS this?"    And had seconds.    Maybe seconds' seconds.  Maybe... There were staying here so driving wasn't an issue.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.