• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

28 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Beautiful job of making and dipping the marshmallows. I have had the same experience with the flavored marshmallows. The strawberry ones (nightscotsman's recipe) retained a little strawberry flavor, but only a little. Passion fruit ones (I think of passion fruit as a very assertive flavor that overpowers almost anything else) lost all taste of the fruit after a few days.

That’s really disappointing as I don’t usually gift them the day I cut them. Have you tried incorporating freeze dried fruit powder? I wonder if that would help with flavor retention. The lemon is still beautiful and tart even a week later, although I’m losing the floral quality specific to Meyer lemons. 

Edited to add: thank you so much for your kind words. Sorry—when I am in problem solving mode I sometimes forget my manners :)  

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

16 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Beautiful job of making and dipping the marshmallows. I have had the same experience with the flavored marshmallows. The strawberry ones (nightscotsman's recipe) retained a little strawberry flavor, but only a little. Passion fruit ones (I think of passion fruit as a very assertive flavor that overpowers almost anything else) lost all taste of the fruit after a few days.

That’s really disappointing as I don’t usually gift them the day I cut them. Have you tried incorporating freeze dried fruit powder? I wonder if that would help with flavor retention. The lemon is still beautiful and tart even a week later, although I’m losing the floral quality specific to Meyer lemons.