• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forming marshmallows: silicone pans or cornstarch

JeanneCake

I've been making marshmallows for a few years with the recipe Nightscotsman posted long ago; it's easy, reliable and we usually always make it in slabs to cut.   pull the mixture off the heat at 234 and cut back a little on the gelatin; I mix for 6 minutes in the 20 qt hobart and the mix is much easier to spread and get flat. 

I saw a website advertising marshmallows that looks like they form theirs in mini-muffin silicone pans.  I can't imagine piping this though; it seems as if it would set up by the time I got halfway through one flexipan.

So with our accounts already asking for holiday menus, I'm thinking I'd like to do the same - formed marshmallows that I can stuff maybe; or put on a stick and dip..... I have five of the flexipan mini cylinder molds so I wanted to get some feedback about whether it's the recipe that makes it easier to pipe or if there's another technique I can use to fill several sheets before the marshmallow sets up too much to pipe.

TIA!

Thank you both; carltonb - did you brush/spray the flexipan or did you use a regular mini cupcake pan (because I have enough pans to make about a thousand mini cupcakes and *that* would be a huge help in production!)