• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forming marshmallows: silicone pans or cornstarch

JeanneCake

I've been making marshmallows for a few years with the recipe Nightscotsman posted long ago; it's easy, reliable and we usually always make it in slabs to cut.   pull the mixture off the heat at 234 and cut back a little on the gelatin; I mix for 6 minutes in the 20 qt hobart and the mix is much easier to spread and get flat. 

I saw a website advertising marshmallows that looks like they form theirs in mini-muffin silicone pans.  I can't imagine piping this though; it seems as if it would set up by the time I got halfway through one flexipan.

So with our accounts already asking for holiday menus, I'm thinking I'd like to do the same - formed marshmallows that I can stuff maybe; or put on a stick and dip..... I have five of the flexipan mini cylinder molds so I wanted to get some feedback about whether it's the recipe that makes it easier to pipe or if there's another technique I can use to fill several sheets before the marshmallow sets up too much to pipe.

TIA!

We learned from Jean Marie Auboine, that you can gently reheat marshmallow in the piping bag in the micro and keep on pippin'.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thank you both; carltonb - did you brush/spray the flexipan or did you use a regular mini cupcake pan (because I have enough pans to make about a thousand mini cupcakes and *that* would be a huge help in production!)