• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacks for little kids

Jaymes

So now I'm on grandma babysitting duty.  I take care of my daughter's four kids every afternoon while she finishes up work.  The oldest is in kindergarten; the other three in preschool.  They're hungry when they walk in the door around 3pm and dinner is still many hours away.

My "mommy with preschoolers" years are decades behind me and I can't seem to recall any fun and interesting and easy to prepare snacks to have ready for them when they walk in the door. 

I might as well just admit that, although, sure, it's nice for their food to be "healthy," my guilty truth is that that's pretty far down on my list of priorities.  I want something that these old arthritic hands can whip up quickly, that will be tasty enough that the kiddos will want to eat them quickly, and will eat them quickly, and will enjoy, and will continue to reinforce my position as "the fun grandma" (my "grandma name" is Hootie, so that's a lot to live up to).

I know that there's lots and lots of imagination here on eGullet, so I'm hoping some of y'all can help an old lady out.

Sincerely,

Grandma Hootie

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A few  immediately spring to mind: 

Cookies: Keep logs of different doughs in freezer. Remove, slice, bake, fill house with wonderful smell, savor anticipation, enjoy. Hey even refrigerator case Pillsbury tastes pretty good when baked at home.

Fruit: Introduce them (outside) to the pleasures of cherry pit and watermelon including seed spitting.  

As a bonus show them the magical carrot top growing trick (after they have eaten the carrot sticks dipped in creamy dip of choice.http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/children/grow-carrot-tops.htm

Chicken nuggets with dip are also universally enjoyed. Chicken breast cubed, seasoned, breaded and baked. Dip again if they like it. 

The dips can be their creations with sour cream or yogurt and they an shake in the spicings and stir them up.

Pear bunny salad is a must do at least once. https://www.google.com/search?q=pear+bunny+salad&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MsTbU52oJYGKyATP0ILQAw&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=565

• Like 1

can you get those 'baby' carrots that are not really baby, but dont need cutting ?

they will go over like a Lead Balloon but

uf they have something to like to dip them in ......

like a peanut butter // jelly 'mix' that's a bit streaky ?

dont by those 'Snack Things'

when in doubt go back to what Raised American Children for years:

peanut butter and jelly.  cut in interesting shapes w Ice Cold Milk.

get jelly thats 'all fruit'  understanding that grape juice is what you are buying

get some bread that really whole grain and has a bit of texture.

or whats on sale ...   based on your means.

is there a Trader Joe's near you ?

there jams and jellies are excellent

and they have chips that might be good for you ....

pls let us know how you do 

cheers

My GrandMa made me campbells chicken noodle soup.

they might have it w less sodium

I remember it vividly

then we discussed whether or not I needed a nap.

I thought naught.

then well asleep !

good news:

your GC's will remember this for the rest of their lives.

thats  good.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

A bit of a P.S. :

as long as you dont get them something from McDonald's  etc

the point is :  something easy for you  :

Campbells  here is your friend

weather will decide.   Hot you say ?  cold Campbell's w toasted bread croutons ?

what you are really doing is giving them something they will always remember :

Their Granny !

just make it a bit of fun

not too much now

just a bit.

Edited by rotuts (log)

can you get those 'baby' carrots that are not really baby, but dont need cutting ?

they will go over like a Lead Balloon but

uf they have something to like to dip them in ......

Yep, they love those "baby carrots."  They dip them in what they call "white sauce."  Because "white sauce" sounds ever so much classier than "Ranch Dressing." 

The Chicken Noodle Soup is a great idea for fall/winter.  Too blessed hot in Houston now.  But I definitely think I'll lay in a supply of "cup o soup" for the coming school year.  And, I do love soups, and that's something I still enjoy making.  So maybe I'll make up a batch of something and freeze it in smaller portions to heat up quickly.

We really do eat pretty healthfully.  When I was a kid, lo so many years ago, things like sodas and Wonder Bread weren't allowed in our house, and I followed that dictum.  We do buy wonderful whole grain breads (right now, that's "Health Nut" by Oroweat - love that stuff), and smear some low-sugar preserves, and natural peanut butter on it, but that's what they often have for lunch, so not sure that would be particularly appealing for after-school snacks. 

And I'm going to be on the lookout for healthier chips.  Great idea.  They already eat a lot of fruit, and I mean a lot, but the chips will go well with their fruit plates.

Man, definitely going to come up with some cookie dough to keep in the fridge/freezer ("Who's yo' grandma now?")!

And a "good grandma" would make her own Chicken Nuggets.  I'm not that good.  I've seen them for sale frozen but never thought to try them.  Heheheh.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My parents used to make open-faced cheese sandwiches toasted under the broiler: bread with a little mustard, a slice of tomato, topped with swiss cheese. We had garden fresh tomatoes as far back as I can recall, so, BLTs were always featured this time of year.

Cucumber sticks are an easy side dish or snack, with out without a dip. (In my day we ate carrot sticks straight up, no dip needed!) Cherry tomatoes are fun, too. We'd also get bell pepper strips.

Assorted fruits to eat out of hand are good choices, look for cheaper, smaller sized apples, pears, peaches, etc.

When the weather turns colder, maybe make baked ziti or macaroni and cheese.

Actually, they are old enough to begin learning to cook for themselves. I'd get them a cookbook, 0764526340/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0764526340&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20">like this classic from my childhood, and have them start making their own food from it. This will ease up the strain on your hands, and teach them to love cooking.

Edited (at member's request) to add:  Upon closer reading of the description, the facsimile version linked above has been edited and some buyers say the binding is flimsy and falls apart. You can still buy a used copy of the 1965 edition, which is almost the original, through Amazon, here: http://www.amazon.co...ty crocker boys

Edited by Smithy
Member request / correct link (log)
  • Like 1

classic "ants on a log"...peanut butter (or if peanut allergic, sunbutter or creamcheese) smeared into celery sticks with raisins stuck in!

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

classic "ants on a log"...peanut butter (or if peanut allergic, sunbutter or creamcheese) smeared into celery sticks with raisins stuck in!

I'm gonna do this. Good idea.  Had forgotten about it.  And, since we're Southerners, we've got to do this with pimento cheese of course. 

It's our heritage.

Y'all.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3

I never liked a lot of sweet stuff when I got home from school.  I mostly wanted savory.....

A few ideas:

Pigs in a blanket (hotdogs wrapped in canned crescent roll dough is a nice shortcut)

Leftover pizza cut into strips

English muffin "pizzas"

Trail mix/chex mix

My parents used to make open-faced cheese sandwiches toasted under the broiler: bread with a little mustard, a slice of tomato, topped with swiss cheese. We had garden fresh tomatoes as far back as I can recall, so, BLTs were always featured this time of year.

Cucumber sticks are an easy side dish or snack, with out without a dip. (In my day we ate carrot sticks straight up, no dip needed!) Cherry tomatoes are fun, too. We'd also get bell pepper strips.

Assorted fruits to eat out of hand are good choices, look for cheaper, smaller sized apples, pears, peaches, etc.

When the weather turns colder, maybe make baked ziti or macaroni and cheese.

Actually, they are old enough to begin learning to cook for themselves. I'd get them a cookbook, like this classic from my childhood, and have them start making their own food from it. This will ease up the strain on your hands, and teach them to love cooking.

Well, the oldest just turned 6 a week ago.  She's going into kindergarten.  Then they're 4 1/2; 3; 1 1/2.  Pretty little.  They do help with things like stirring, but mainly they fight over the spoon, and then the winner manages to flick the dough all over the kitchen.  When my kids were little, they did start learning to cook things in the microwave.  Haven't paid much attention to the "microwave thread" but that's sure one thing I used it for - teaching youngsters how to cook without worrying about an open flame.  Think I'll go ahead and invest in that book now, though.  Looks like a great idea.

Love cheese toast.  Don't know why I hadn't thought of that.  Seems kinda obvious now, doesn't it?  But that's why I've come here for help.  Things I would have thought of in a flash years ago don't come so readily to mind anymore.

I never liked a lot of sweet stuff when I got home from school.  I mostly wanted savory.....

A few ideas:

Pigs in a blanket (hotdogs wrapped in canned crescent roll dough is a nice shortcut)

Leftover pizza cut into strips

English muffin "pizzas"

Trail mix/chex mix

Can I possibly explain to all of you how grateful I am?  And how glad I am that I decided to ask for help?

• Like 2

First thing to come to my mind was Rice Crispie Squares.

Then reading about the cheese sandwiches reminded me of my own children's favorite, cooked only when Grandmom came and she brought the stuff.  Soft stuffy egg buns with American cheese slices.  You simply lay the cheese slice on top of the bread and then under the broiler and the cheese puffs way...way...up and the kids loved that with a passion.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thought of some more:

Tuna salad and saltines--spread the salad on the crackers

Ramen noodles (I know, but still like them to this day :) )

Tortilla roll-ups (soften cream cheese, spread on tortillas with many a choice of inside stuff.....green onions, diced red peppers, black olives or slices of turkey or ham.....dipped in salsa etc.)

First thing to come to my mind was Rice Crispie Squares.

Then reading about the cheese sandwiches reminded me of my own children's favorite, cooked only when Grandmom came and she brought the stuff.  Soft stuffy egg buns with American cheese slices.  You simply lay the cheese slice on top of the bread and then under the broiler and the cheese puffs way...way...up and the kids loved that with a passion.

Well, like the kids say, OMG.  I think I love that, too!

But what are "soft stuffy egg buns"?  That doesn't sound familiar.  I don't think I know what that is.

Do I?

Thought of some more:

Tuna salad and saltines--spread the salad on the crackers

Ramen noodles (I know, but still like them to this day :) )

Tortilla roll-ups (soften cream cheese, spread on tortillas with many a choice of inside stuff.....green onions, diced red peppers, black olives or slices of turkey or ham.....dipped in salsa etc.)

Ramen noodles?  Like just a pack of dry noodles?  Or are you heating it to make soup?

Ramen noodles?  Like just a pack of dry noodles?  Or are you heating it to make soup?

Yeah make the soup.  I liked it with just a bit of broth, not a lot. With four kids you could throw two packages in a pot and have plenty for them.

We bought them decades ago in Ottawa, ON.  They looked like hamburger buns more or less, but were egg bread so they were tasty on their own.  Honestly, it was a V-E-R-Y long time ago...the baby is now 49.  They were squishy ...if you squished them.  You could use any bread stuff at all.  It was the magic of the cheese puffing way, way up that did it. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'll tell y'all one thing.  I'm going to print this thread and carry a hardcopy of it in my purse for when I go shopping. 

• Like 1

Overlooked this the first time around.  But I just clicked on the link and laughed out loud.

We're for sure doing that, and sooner rather than later.

Hilarious.

Thanks!

When I was a little girl (long, long ago), my favorite Grandma treat was her homemade bread, smeared with butter and sprinkled with sugar (white or brown), with a mug of hot tea or a cup of milk.

• Like 1

When I was a little girl (long, long ago), my favorite Grandma treat was her homemade bread, smeared with butter and sprinkled with sugar (white or brown), with a mug of hot tea or a cup of milk.

Who wouldn't like that?  I'm probably not going to be doing any bread baking, but I can buy pretty decent loaves of bread at a local bakery.  Maybe even challah?

I have a couple of recipes for little kids to make Tootsie Rolls without any cooking...as I recall.  I could look them up.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have a couple of recipes for little kids to make Tootsie Rolls without any cooking...as I recall.  I could look them up.

If you don't mind doing it, I'd love it!

Only a very few of us can appreciate the charm and luxury of sugar on buttered, freshly baked bread. We are the lucky ones.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mom used to put a slice of ham or salami, a bit of cheese on a Ritz cracker and bake them.  Those were my favourites.

Mini pizzas on little pita or bagels

Tuna salad dip

Salsa + cheese on top, nuke it till the cheese melts for a dip. If you've got leftover chili, even better!

Microwave nachos

Grilled cheese sandwich or quesadillas

Mini quiches (make ahead & freeze)

Puff pastry spirals

Fruit & yogurt smoothies (mom called them milkshakes)

You can probably tell I didn't (and still don't) care for sweets as snacks!