• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2015

RobertM

Is there any more info on the date? I have to start working on call schedules for spring, and I need to block the weekend of the workshop so I don't end up on call. The tentative date is still May 15-17, correct?

Edited by tikidoc (log)

Hi folks! Just heard from the school, they are going to be going through a certification and won't be able to host the conference this year.

I'm looking at other options, looking for other culinary schools, keep watching this space for additional information

Good Morning

It looks like we've found another facility in the Northern Virginia area to host the conference.  They seem very excited to have us.  I'll be able to report back more positive news shortly.  They have the weekend of May 16 & 17 open.  The new facility is in Vienna Virginia.  I'll be looking for a decent hotel nearby, but for those that know the area I'm going to try to keep you out of Tysons Corner.

• Like 3

Hopefully your new venue will be great. Would you consider streaming the master classes so that those of us without funds to cross the Atlantic can attend'? At a cost obviously. Presumably the facility will have video conference facilities so it shouldn't be too difficult or technical to organise.

I would happily pay for virtual attendance, I am a complete beginner in chocolate making but my list of things to achieve in 2015 is a presentable and delicious chocolate.

Good luck with all the planning for your new venue, I've organised large events myself in the past and can appreciate just how much goes into making the experience appear to run perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...

hey ladies and gents-

is there still room for a few midwesterners?  :0)  brad and i would love to go, and i would love the masters class if spots are open.... and bob- loving your resilience in finding a location. amazing job.  if you need help from afar, shoot me an email k?  i can call or email or stalk people very well if needed.  xooxo

Because of the efforts of Steve we have a place to hold the conference in Vienna, VA.  I'm working on getting us a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn, Tyson's Corner which is just a few miles from the school.  Of course, everyone is free to find a room/hotel on their own, there is no requirement to utilize the "host" hotel.

Because of the need to "find" a new location for the conference we are unable to use their facilities for a Friday Master Class.  I'm checking with Albert Uster to see if they would be willing to host us on Friday, similar to what they did for us on a previous DC conference.  I am also making the final arrangements on a guest instructor for Saturday - I should have final information on that soon.

The school will be cooking dinner for us on Saturday night and it sounds wonderful - so, don't make any plans to go out somewhere else, because, frankly, you'll be sorry.

The school is smaller than those we have used in the past and the number of participants will be limited to 24.  I'm sorry, but we won't be able to accomodate any  more than that number, and because of that they will be open only to the first 24 on a first come/first pay basis.

I'm setting up a Paypal account so when we "release" the final details and costs, I'm will have the participants log into the account and use a credit card to pay for the weekend.  Similar to what we all did for the 2014 class in Vegas.

I'm hoping to have the final financial details resolved in the next week so we can get this party started.

• Like 3

The contract for the school was signed this morning and a deposit has been made, so we are now locked into the Culinaria Cooking School located at 110 Pleasant Street, NW, Vienna, VA 22180 

I also contracted for the school to prepare us dinner on Sunday night - it's going to be a magnificent meal and it's a flat fee of $35.00/person.

I still have one more cost to complete and then I will be announcing the total fee for this years conference.

Thank you all for your patience

We couldn't schedule the facility for a Masters Class on Friday - sorry. 

So, we will more than likely fall back on the traditional plans of getting together to tour/see some local chocolate shops, meet at the school Saturday morning for the demo(s) and hopefully some good "kitchen" time -

Dinner will be AT the school on Saturday (Yes, I affirm it's SATURDAY) Night (yes TikiDoc, I'm O-L-D) and the price for Saturday's dinner will be included in the final cost (which will be posted soon - still a couple of things we have to determine).

• Like 1

I too have to pull my name from the hat.  Have to save my pennies for the fall when I'll hopefully be opening my chocolate cafe.  Fingers crossed!

Hate to hear you aren't coming - but very excited about your new chocolate cafe!  Will keep all appendages crossed.

• Like 2

i officially have to bow out. I've just got too many travels on my plate as it is. I'll watch from afar.

Bummer - simply Bummer.....not that you are traveling but that you won't be traveling to DC

I too have to pull my name from the hat.  Have to save my pennies for the fall when I'll hopefully be opening my chocolate cafe.  Fingers crossed!

It is not going to be the same without Yeti Chocolates - :-(

Looking forward to hearing about the chocolate cafe though....   :-)

• Like 1

chocolate cafe what?!!!! miss willow i must hear more!!!  message me!  need help? i will help you as much as i can!  will miss you though :(  same for my donut-lover rob.... will miss you tons too!

• Like 2