• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2015

RobertM

It's time to start planning the next Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop. 

The 2015 Workshop is planned (again) for the Northern Virginia (Washington DC suburb) area.  I'm working with a friend to help me out this year.  We are working on obtaining the Stratford Culinary School again for the conference and hope to have the location approved and locked down in the near future.

I have a guest instructor lined up that everyone will truly enjoy, but until we have contracts in place, I'm not letting that cat out of the bag. 

We also have tentatively lined up a Sugar demo for Sunday morning for those that would be interested in that aspect.

This is just to announce that there will be a 2015 conference, so please start letting me know if you plan on coming (and/or are interested in joining us).  Further details and information (costs/dates/etc) will be announced as we finalize them.  When you indicate your interest would you also please let us know if you would be interested in a "Masters" class, similar to what was arranged for the 2014 Conference?  If we obtain enough interest in such a class we need to assure we can get the kitchen space for an additional day - please don't forget that would also incur an extra added expense for those attending the Masters Class.

Watch this space for exciting breaking news as it develops

• Like 1

Bob! On the ball early!  Well I will tentatively (and this is tenuous) hope to join next year.  I did just buy a plane ticket to Thailand for the whole month of January, so that might eat up my entire travel budget...but let's just say I definitely want to attend, will try and pull my pennies together to make that happen :)  And I would also be interested in the Master's class, if I can afford it...

Ok! This should be good timing for me.  The last couple of years school and another conference got in the way so I had to watch the threads of chocolate workshop updates with envy.

I would like to put my name in, and yes I would love to attend the Master Class if there is one.  I took a course on Sugar Works quite a few years ago so I would love to renew those skills.

Looking forward to next year!

I'm interested!  I haven't been to a conference before because I've been stuck working full time.  Now that I'm self-employed, hopefully by next spring business will be good enough that I can afford to go, but not so good that I can't get a weekend off :)  Sugar work is not a huge interest of mine, but I would still go to a demo or class.  Definitely interested in a master class, and especially using any enrobing or panning equipment that might be available.

Of course I'm interested in both the workshop and the master class!  Let me know what I can do to help. 

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Conference

YetiChocolates
GWBYLS
Kerry Beal
Curls
Chocolot
Beth Wilson
Pastry Girl
Mette
Lebowits

Master Class

YetiChocolates
Kerry Beal
Curls
Chocolot
Beth Wilson
Pastry Girl
Mette
Lebowits

I definitely have an interest in attending both, depending on price, location, and personal equipment requirements. This will be my first egullet-associated activity beyond lurking the forums for years! Forgive me for how creepy this might sound- it would be a such a pleasure to learn from folks whose work I've watched evolve and refine through the lens of this board, and who I've learned from in secret.

Gwendolyn:  We would love to have you join us, no need to be a lurker with us!  The location is going to be outside of Washington DC (approx 25 miles south).   Stratford is a culinary school so there would be little need for you to bring "personal" equipment unless you wanted to.  Several people bring their own tools (dipping forks, molds, etc) but that is up to you.

This past conference we had a Mold sale/exchange/swap and if there is enough interest in doing so again, then for sure we can arrange that. 

Cost is going to depend on several factors and as soon as we can nail down everything then I will be posting that information as well.

Conference

YetiChocolates

GWBYLS

Kerry Beal

Curls

Chocolot

Beth Wilson

Pastry Girl

Mette

Lebowits

Matthew Kirshner

Gwendolyn

Gfron1 (if life allows)

Master Class

YetiChocolates

Kerry Beal

Curls

Chocolot

Beth Wilson

Pastry Girl

Mette

Lebowits

Matthew Kirshner

Gfron1 (if life allows)

Close to home again, so I'm in.  I have a friend from work who is an enthusiastic baker of sweet stuff, who wants to learn about chocolate, who will probably come with me.  So count me for a definite one, tentative two.

While I would love to participate, I suspect the timing next year won't work for me: I'll be spending a few months of my husband's sabbatical leave in Belgium next spring, doing my own chocolate research. So I'll have to wait for 2016, I think.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Ashley is helping me put this together and has some wonderful ideas!  She has contacted a lovely little restaurant in Occoquan about hosting us for dinner on Friday night and they would be thrilled to have us all for a meal. 

Conference

YetiChocolates

GWBYLS

Kerry Beal

Curls

Chocolot

Beth Wilson

Pastry Girl

Mette

Lebowits

Matthew Kirshner

Gwendolyn