• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chilies with orange on fish

nyfirepatrolchef

Im in experiment mode.

I crave the concept of an OJ reduction...maybe a bit of honey to take the acidic edge off..but I want a LIIIIIIIIIITTLE bit of a bite to the sauce...on say tuna or tilapia thats pecan crusted.

Ive never TOUCHED a chile before...no clue where to start. I know theres more kinds than I can shake a six foot hook at....so how would you good people suggest incorporating it into a sauce?

What kind would you suggest and in what form?

juice oranges

reduce to a syrup

whisk in olive oil and emulsify

add a drop of vinegar

pinch of dried chili flakes

don't get picky with ingredients your first time.

over time try different chilis and vinegars. just wing it and have some fun.

i'm not sure what you plan on doing with the fish, but employing the ole tin foil technique might give good results. all ingredients in the tin foil, seal, through in the oven for 10 or 15. the sauce will make itself. you can always touch it up a bit in a pan if necessary.

Ive never TOUCHED a chile before...no clue where to start.

If that's literal, start here. Wear thin plastic gloves if you can - surgical - slice lengthwise, destem and carefully remove the vein - where the heat lies - and seeds - mistakenly believed to be the heat source. You'll have the flavour of the chili and still some of the heat. If you can't wear gloves just take care to wash your hands well after handling but still don't touch your eyes, mucous membranes/what have you, etc.

Try the flavour first to see if you even want to add it to your sauce. Blanche a bit and refresh, taste. If you like it, do the rest and set it aside.

Try treating it as you would a zest garnish in an orange sauce. Take your blanched/refreshed chili, add some Grand Marnier or Cointreau to just cover, finish your sauce, drain the chilis and add it to your sauce a few minutes before serving.

Or try sizzling the fresh chilis in a bit of butter and then finish your sauce with all including the butter.

As far as what kind try the mildest one available in your market - they vary so much seasonally so ask.

Here is a thought, though I haven't try it myself....

Heat up some chopped garlic, orange zest and dried red peper flakes in a bit of olive oil.

Add a pinch of cumin

Add orange juice with a bit of sugar and cook it down.

Lightly pat the fish with some flour, salt and pepper and pan sear it.

Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with some cilantro.

I debated over adding some minced ginger to this, but decided against it.

Edited by Bond Girl (log)

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I don't have specific recipe for the sauce you're looking for, but I think I would use your favorite hot sauce instead of fresh chiles. Its easier to controll and there are many fruit based sauces that have sweetness already in them.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.