• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

teagal

New Lays Potato Chip Flavors

103 posts in this topic

"Salt and Vinegar seasoning". If it contains more than salt and vinegar, the rest is artificially added. And yes, Maltodextrin is not found in nature as such, but has to be hydrolised from corn starch by non-enzymatic methods (because otherwise it would not be found on this label). Malic acid could be isolated from fruits, but to be used in this commodity its food-grade synthetic (and cheap). And "natural flavours" means only that they are derived from natural sources, nothing less

So - as far as I am concerned - this is the same artificially flavoured stuff as Tikka, or Numb&Spicy and Cucumber flavoured chips. And just for the record (if you have read my previous contributions to this topic): the fact that it is does not change its appeal to me ...

"There are only a couple other than original that I like..." I am not a fan of many artificial flavors. 

On 8/8/2016 at 5:32 PM, Toliver said:

My local Subway Sandwich shops are carrying four new flavors of Lays potato chips, some that have been recently mentioned in this discussion...

So I tried the other 2 flavors last week. The Greek Tzatziki Sauce flavor was nothing new. Lay's had a Greek Gyros flavor in their last "New Flavor" competition and the Greek Tzatziki Sauce seemed to taste the same. There was a creaminess to the chip (probably a cheese powder) and you could taste dill. It was a "Wavy" chip which meant the chip had ripples/ridges, which I prefer when I snack on chips. To completely usurp Gertrude Stein's famous quote, there's more "there" there with these chips. :B

The Tikka Masala chip was "Kettle cooked", which seemed to have more crunch to it than a regular potato chip, which was nice. My Indian food knowledge is lacking but I think it had all the right spices. It definitely has that "Indian" flavor.

1 person likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”