• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

teagal

New Lays Potato Chip Flavors

91 posts in this topic

I tried  Bacon Mac lays chips & it was awesome. 

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.d4692e47300eaf1d295a5ddd900f4

Kerry Beal and I wondered into an East Indian grocery store couple of days ago and she spotted these.  WOW. Spicy hot.  Do not try these without a beer close by. Seem tame until you've had about six. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
5 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/23/2015 at 8:30 AM, rotuts said:

seems like in China, there's a flavor for each person.

Indeed! What is going on here? Why am I denied seaweed flavor chips here in the USA? Luckily I do get shrimp and squid chips at the local Asian market, but they are not the same as potato chips. And I keep asking the proprietor to please order the hot spicy garlic shrimp chips, and for some reason he refuses to do so. He keeps telling me that no one will buy them. I told him I would buy an entire case if he would just please order them!

IMG_0043-1.JPG

Ecuadorian Lay's Sour-Cream and Bacon.  They are epically good.  The sour-cream and chive flavour is subtle enough to not be cloying, and the smokey bacon-ness kind of builds on you until you realize you've eaten the entire bag and now require another.  I'll be very sad if they get phased out.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense Only the photo posted, not the text. Edited to insert the text. (log)
5 people like this

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 1:05 PM, liuzhou said:

I've no idea which of these are new here in China.  Some are obviously internationally available; others perhaps not. And then there is the mystery flavour.

(I had to buy some snacks for a social event, so I bought one of each bag they had in the local emporium - there may be more - then photographed them. These are just what they had in bags. I noticed a couple of other flavours in the cardboard tubes - stacks - will investigate further.)

lays1.jpg

Cumin Lamb is very much a local flavour coming from the far west of China, esp in Xinjiang among the Chinese Muslim population.

lays2.jpg

Numb and Spicy Hotpot is a Sichuan classic flavour. 

lays3.jpg

Seaweed snacks are very popular in China, as is squid.

As you will see, all Lay's chips/crisps sold in China are identified bilingually - except one.

Cowboy.jpg

野蛮牛仔骨味 translates as "uncivilised* cowboy rib flavour." I am hoping they are flavoured with the taste of those ribs cowboys favour rather than the cowboys' ribs. Going by the ingredients list they seem to be attempting to replicate beef ribs.

Presumably they are left untranslated to avoid offending any passing uncivilised cowboys.

*野蛮 can also be translated as savage, barbarous, cruel, or brutal. Take your pick.

I just returned from Nanjing tonight. My little cabin luggage was filled with most of the bags that Liuzhou found as well.

Started off with the Cumin Lamb variety. I found it actually very tasty. Cumin, chili, lamb - all there. Already regretting that I bought Cucumber and the Yoghurt one instead of more of the Cumin Lamb stuff ...

WP_20160203_20_57_45_Pro.jpg

3 people like this

After the usual CNY dumplings and an extra helping of sushi I decided to try the "finger licking braised pork" stacked Lay's. I liked it. It's sprinkled with something that tastes like spray-dried Lu Shui. There isn't much pork flavour to talk about but the Lu Shui comes through nicely ...

WP_20160208_21_45_24_Pro.jpg

2 people like this

Well, I have to admit that I regularly use my licked finger tip to get all those tiny broken pieces out of the package. So this time was no different (but elsewise I would have also followed the clear instructions on the package) ...

1 person likes this

Yes, I know - it's the "Lay's" thread. However, I found this variety of Pringles today at my local supermarket. For those of you that neither read Katakana nor can recognize the picture: it's Eggs Benedict. It's hard to describe but it somewhat tastes like powdered egg yolk with vegetable undertones. Won't buy it again and will try to get rid of the other two rolls (was a three-for-two offer, that I have never been able to refuse )...

image.jpg

2 people like this

My wife found two unknown varieties at the local supermarket. It seems they are manufactured in Taiwan

We started with the "drumstick"-flavoured one. It reminds me of the artificial chicken taste of powdered chicken broth. There is some onion/garlic aftertaste and a hint of herbs ( can't pin them down though...). Not to be bought again ...

WP_20160303_21_42_40_Rich.jpg

WP_20160303_21_42_55_Rich.jpg

2 people like this

Had the "salty roasted garlic" ones today. Definitely some mellowed garlic flavor there. Unfortunately it did not fit at all to the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc I opened tonight. Had to augment with some dried squid and sushi ... So, no: I won't have these ones either again.

1 person likes this

Wow. Something new in my local grocery store:  Ruffles (made by Frito-Lay) "All Dressed" flavor (click for an article on them).

For those unfamiliar with the flavor so adored by our neighbors to the north, it’s a little hard to describe how these taste. All we know is that they’re made with paprika and a mysterious All Dressed spice blend that hasn’t been made known to the public. Basically, these chips taste a little bit like ketchup, vinegar and BBQ mixed together.

I guess this flavor has been out for awhile but have only recently appeared on grocery shelves in my area.

I don't get the "paprika" mentioned in the article.

Upon first taste, I get the BBQ flavor (plus a little sweetness), I taste some sort of cheese flavoring, a wee bit of vinegar for a nice slight tartness and even a hint of bacon.

They should have called these "Everything But the Kitchen Sink" flavor. xD They're strangely addictive and, on the plus side, they're Ruffles...the chips have ridges so they have some body to them.

Two thumbs up!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

I've had this before in Germany. Still tastes the same in another country... too much gherkin taste!

fTGaUvT.jpg

1 person likes this