• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

On 8/8/2016 at 5:32 PM, Toliver said:

My local Subway Sandwich shops are carrying four new flavors of Lays potato chips, some that have been recently mentioned in this discussion...

So I tried the other 2 flavors last week. The Greek Tzatziki Sauce flavor was nothing new. Lay's had a Greek Gyros flavor in their last "New Flavor" competition and the Greek Tzatziki Sauce seemed to taste the same. There was a creaminess to the chip (probably a cheese powder) and you could taste dill. It was a "Wavy" chip which meant the chip had ripples/ridges, which I prefer when I snack on chips. To completely usurp Gertrude Stein's famous quote, there's more "there" there with these chips. :B

The Tikka Masala chip was "Kettle cooked", which seemed to have more crunch to it than a regular potato chip, which was nice. My Indian food knowledge is lacking but I think it had all the right spices. It definitely has that "Indian" flavor.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how 'new' these are, but I certainly haven't noticed them before. They appear to be simple potato spiced with hot chilli. I'll check out the ingredients list next time (I was in a bit of a hurry when I spotted them).

The English translation is just 'spicy', where as the Chinese description reads 'spicy hot flavor'.

spicy.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
improved translation (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 22/09/2016 at 11:07 PM, liuzhou said:

I'm not sure how 'new' these are, but I certainly haven't noticed them before. They appear to be simple potato spiced with hot chilli. I'll check out the ingredients list next time (I was in a bit of a hurry when I spotted them).

The English translation is just 'spicy', where as the Chinese description reads 'spicy hot flavor'.

Well, I picked up a bag today. Simple? Only if you find 21 ingredients simple. They include sugar, salt, MSG, and a long list of preservatives, anti-oxidants and the like. oh! And potatoes and chillies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Well, I picked up a bag today. Simple? Only if you find 21 ingredients simple. They include sugar, salt, MSG, and a long list of preservatives, anti-oxidants and the like. oh! And potatoes and chillies.

And? Have you tasted them yet?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Good lord! You don't expect to put them in my body, do you?

That depends. Are you looking for eternal life?

• Haha 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

5 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

That depends. Are you looking for eternal life?

I've always considered longevity overrated and preferred quality over quantity.

My friends here consider me suicidely reckless for eating raw oysters (how else would you eat them!) and the day I was washing regular button mushrooms in front of some friends while preparing some dish and unconsciously popped one raw fungus into my mouth is legendary. They sat around waiting for me to drop dead before sunset. The Chinese don't do raw and know for sure it will lead to instant death.

But there are places I draw the line. Often labelled "Lay's"

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Found in the Dutch store in Burlington. Nope I have no idea what they taste like. Perhaps someone familia with Dutch treats (not the sharing kind)  can give me a clue what to expect.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Joppie sauce ("Joppiesaus" in Dutch) is a popular mayonnaise-based sauce for mostly French fries, but ultimately everything else deep fried from your local Snack shop. It goes well with Frikandel and its brothers (all kind of shaped and deep fried minced meat products). In Belgium, "Joppie" was flavour of the year for Lays's once.

Its a slightly sweet mayonnaise with curry and a pinch of mustard. Some shops have sweated onions added, some just use onion and garlic powder. When I was living in Brussels in my local Friterie people were ordering Joppiesaus on their (deep-fried) hamburgers. I still prefer Bicky, though ...

• Like 2

I was going to post the pic months ago but decided to delete it from the image storage site recently. Try it if you must. I thought it tasted revolting. It contains curry powder and I do not eat that powder in anything.

The sauce is called Joppie. However, I can't decide which is more repugnant... Joppie sauce flavoured or Kapsalon flavoured crisps/anything. (I think I have posted a pic of Kapsalon crisps before)

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Joppie sauce ("Joppiesaus" in Dutch) is a popular mayonnaise-based sauce for mostly French fries, but ultimately everything else deep fried from your local Snack shop. It goes well with Frikandel and its brothers (all kind of shaped and deep fried minced meat products). In Belgium, "Joppie" was flavour of the year for Lays's once.

Its a slightly sweet mayonnaise with curry and a pinch of mustard. Some shops have sweated onions added, some just use onion and garlic powder. When I was living in Brussels in my local Friterie people were ordering Joppiesaus on their (deep-fried) hamburgers. I still prefer Bicky, though ...

Thank you.  I will certainly be trying them but I would like wait a few days so that I can share them with someone and then I will report back what I think.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Still have not tried the joppie-flavoured chips but picked up these two here in Manitoulin:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:38 PM, Anna N said:

Found in the Dutch store in Burlington. Nope I have no idea what they taste like. Perhaps someone familia with Dutch treats (not the sharing kind)  can give me a clue what to expect.

Why don't you just open the bag and taste one or two?  The you can tell us what to expect ...

... Shel

• 3 weeks later...
On October 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Anna N said:

Still have not tried the joppie-flavoured chips but picked up these two here in Manitoulin:

image.jpeg

We opened both of these up north and I forgot to post I suspect it was because of deliberatley induced amnesia.  Cheese and Onion=nasty. Poutine=really, really nasty. So nasty they both got crushed to crumbs and binned. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On September 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Anna N said:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

We were quite prepared to hate these but found them quite interesting.  They reminded us of the hot honey mustard that    McDonalds used to serve with their chicken McNuggets. (The only real reason to get the McNuggets.)

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

There are three more new flavors to vote on:

Crispy Taco, Fried Green Tomato and Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese

You can vote here (click).

I've tried all three. The only one that had a distinct flavor (IMHO) was the Crispy Taco. I didn't care for the flavor, but at least it was there. I couldn't discern much with the other two flavors. I suppose I should try them again...

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

I used to enjoy the extra thick potato chips from back in the 80s?  I don't even remember who made them but maybe it was a Ruffles brand.  Haven,t seen anything like them in years.  Now I go for the rippled BBQ chips that Go great with sandwiches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lindag said:

I used to enjoy the extra thick potato chips from back in the 80s?  I don't even remember who made them but maybe it was a Ruffles brand.  Haven,t seen anything like them in years.  Now I go for the rippled BBQ chips that Go great with sandwiches.

Lays now calls their ripple chips "Wavy". :S

I remember their old slogan "Ruffles have ridges" with the announcer using rolled "R's" in the audio.

You might also give their Kettle cooked brands a try...they're just very crispy chips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver