• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

is this only in Canada ?

Id consider paying 'market price' for a taste of these two :

""""   – Montreal Smoked Meat by Zdravko Gunjevic of Waterloo, Ontario, inspired by Quebec and named for that city’s deli favourite.

– Prince Edward Island Scalloped Potatoes by Jordan Cairns of Burlington, Ontario, inspired by his favourite side dish at family dinners and the spuds’ cultivation in Atlantic Canada. ""

small bag please !

that's saying something right there !

I honestly don't understand these bizarre flavored potato chips.  I'm a Lays Classic (serves 3 (but only if the other 2 people bring their own chips because I won't share mine)) diehard, but am occasionaly tempted to buy a bag of Lays Salt and Vinegar Chips, but at the same time I'd have to buy a bag of regular Lays Classic Chips in case I didn't like the salt and vinegar ones, although I'd probably eat them all anyway.  I can understand the need for Lays to make the BBQ flavored chips, but Reuben flavored chips?  Is Lay's just trying to see how many unlikely artifically produced flavors their lab can come up with, and infuse into a potato chip?  Does the Lima Bean industry continually come up with differently flavored limas to get people like me who hate the nasty little green things to eat them? Does the Brussel Sprout industry start pushing chocolate eclair flavored brussel sprouts to ensnare those people who for some reason don't like them.  So why in sam hill does Lays insist on doing weird things to potatoe chips.  What's next Lays?  A frito flavored potato chip?
end of editorial.

• Like 4

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

The Prince Edward Island Scalloped Potatoes flavor certainly sounds very good! I wouldn't mind trying them myself. Certainly sounds better than any of the flavors that they are trying out here in the states.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The very worst thing about these flavored potato chips is that even though I know I don't like them I still manage to finish the bag!

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hit the grocery store early this am before work - happened to notice these on sale so picked them up for the gang at work to try.

IMG_1104.jpg

So the Cowboy BBQ Beans were like a really nice BBQ chip with a hint of bean flavour in there. The smoked meat had a pastrami like flavour on first bite - faded in subsequent bites.  

• Like 2

I tried a gyro and can not get the nightmare out of my mouth ..i think it is bitter horrible and why i thought it would be good is beyond me

No way no how even the idea is horrible. My husband ate the bag and said they are " fine"

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tried these. Meh. After the first chip one could believe one detected something close to butter chicken but the impression quickly dissipates along with the flavour.

We have tried all 4, none were worth trying again.  The Butter Chicken flavour could have been much better if they left out the Asafoetida/ Hing .  There was only a hint of it  but it builds as you eat.  Not really necessary  to a  Butter Chicken flavour imo. .  

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I've no idea which of these are new here in China.  Some are obviously internationally available; others perhaps not. And then there is the mystery flavour.

(I had to buy some snacks for a social event, so I bought one of each bag they had in the local emporium - there may be more - then photographed them. These are just what they had in bags. I noticed a couple of other flavours in the cardboard tubes - stacks - will investigate further.)

lays1.jpg

Cumin Lamb is very much a local flavour coming from the far west of China, esp in Xinjiang among the Chinese Muslim population.

lays2.jpg

Numb and Spicy Hotpot is a Sichuan classic flavour. 

lays3.jpg

Seaweed snacks are very popular in China, as is squid.

As you will see, all Lay's chips/crisps sold in China are identified bilingually - except one.

Cowboy.jpg

野蛮牛仔骨味 translates as "uncivilised* cowboy rib flavour." I am hoping they are flavoured with the taste of those ribs cowboys favour rather than the cowboys' ribs. Going by the ingredients list they seem to be attempting to replicate beef ribs.

Presumably they are left untranslated to avoid offending any passing uncivilised cowboys.

*野蛮 can also be translated as savage, barbarous, cruel, or brutal. Take your pick.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I made a curiously interesting discovery this morning. It seems the bagged chips sometimes have slightly different flavour names from those in the tubes ("Stax").

For example, the bagged "Cucumber Flavor"  become "Green Cucumber Flavor" in the tubes. Is there another color of cucumber?

Anyway, here are three tube varieties which I haven't seen in bags. I am sure there are more. I haven't checked the bigger supermarket yet.

tubes1.jpg

Incidentally, the characters 无限 above the flavor names means "infinite". A blatant lie. They aren't infinite. I finished the green tea ones!

• Like 7

I'm intrigued by the green tea flavour!  How does it taste?

Green tea is a not uncommon flavoring in China. It features in cookies and in stir fries. One of my favorites is Shrimp with Green Tea as served in my local Hunan restaurant.

It generally tastes fresh and herbal. Grassy. New mown lawns. 

The chips tasted slightly musty and MSG-ish. As usual.

I am no fan of Lay's in particular and 'flavored' chips on general. I seriously doubt few people could identify the intended flavors in a truly blind tasting.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

And some more:

tubes2.jpg

For the sake of clarity - L to R

blackpepper.jpg

Most Chinese caterers are under the impression that the only way people in the west eat beef/steaks is smothered in black pepper sauce.

sizzled.jpg

garden.jpg

They also have a variety simply called "Tomato Flavor", presumably not from a garden. 

seasaltchoc.jpg

• Like 1

With impeccable timing, we have today's visit with Calvin and Hobbes.

"Frankly, my life was plenty complicated before the potato chips."

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I was gifted 4 flavo(u)rs of Lay's Canada  'Crisps'  aka chips S. of the Boarder.

what a treat !   everything tastes better in French.  even French Canadiene.

I immediately ripped into the

Viande fumée de Montréal

Im a very big fan of M.Smoked meat.  at the Old Schwart's  .  Medium for me.  you can drool here :

http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

and no its not pastrami.

the crsips tasted a little bit like corned beef.  no smoke that I could detect nor that 'special' HSMeat flavor.

still   ...  different in a new direction.   I of course polished off the whole bag.  just to be sure.

a bit later, after some massive hydration, I could not resist the 

Poulet au beurre

that to me means Butter Chicken, a la Indiene.   no butter, nor chicken flavors.  a light BBQ flavor that's it.

i stopped for the day but today is a New Day !

Fèves au lard BBQ style cowboy

these were ridged. and had that Olde Time USA  BBQ chip flavour.  the kind of flavor BBQ chips had when they were first 'invented'

they were nice in that way.   No Feves nor Lard.  can't say was Cowboy flavour is, but i doubt there's any here.

anyway   great fun.

im saving the

Gratin dauphinois de l’Î.-P.-É.

for later.  Its my impression that   

l’Î.-P.-É  potatoes aren't what they used to be ......
  • Like 2

I found the PEI scalloped potatoes bland as all get out unfortunately - no distinctive taste at all in my opinion. Surprisingly, I thought the Montreal Smoked Meat one was probably the best of the bunch - although no, there was no smokiness there. The Butter Chicken was somewhat ok as well but didn't whip me away to India and fill me with the kind of satisfaction I get from the real stuff. Couldn't stomach the idea of bbq so those stayed on the shelf.

I am not a chip fan in any way, shape or form (haven't bought any in many years till now) and these flavoured ones kind of scare me with what they must have in them to create those tastes so I won't be eating any more but I did take one for the gipper (and my waistline - which didn't need increasing).