• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grill Pan for Electric Range

Shel_B

The only pro I can see with the one that is shallower is that it is probably easier to get a spatula in there.

Otherwise, they pretty much are all the same and do the same thing.  And at the prices you're looking at, not worth doing 3 weeks worth of analysis on, in my opinion.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have the Lodge L8SGP3, used it once and set it aside. I found it a pain to clean. At this point it is rather rusted up and would take some effort to clean up and re-season.

The Lodge Pro-Logic P12SGR3 , based upon the lack of high sides, looks like it would be easier to clean.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Is that very important to have grill marks for you? If not any skillet will be fine to "grill" meat.

Otherwise, this is a consideration. use both sides, takes no room to store.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Single-Burner-Reversible-Griddle-10-5-inch/dp/B000E1WA7Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406744162&sr=8-3&keywords=reversible+grill+pan

An 8" heating element on your stove basically limits the size of a pan you can use.

dcarch

I've used the P12SGR3 on our glass top electric stove for years with no particular issues. Like all cast iron they can be a little brittle - I dropped mine once and the handle snapped off :wub: . Still works perfectly though. I like the looks of that LSRG3.

I have the Lodge L8SGP3, used it once and set it aside. I found it a pain to clean. At this point it is rather rusted up and would take some effort to clean up and re-season.

The Lodge Pro-Logic P12SGR3 , based upon the lack of high sides, looks like it would be easier to clean.

I thought about the cleaning aspect, and noticed this little gizmo on the Amazon page that had the grill pan:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Manufacturing-SCRAPERGPK-Scraper-2-Pack/dp/B0073E3Q7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406748770&sr=8-2&keywords=lodge+grill+pan

... Shel

Is that very important to have grill marks for you? If not any skillet will be fine to "grill" meat.

Otherwise, this is a consideration. use both sides, takes no room to store.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Single-Burner-Reversible-Griddle-10-5-inch/dp/B000E1WA7Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406744162&sr=8-3&keywords=reversible+grill+pan

An 8" heating element on your stove basically limits the size of a pan you can use.

dcarch

I don't need a large pan or griddle ... mostly just for me and sometimes Toots.

I didn't see the single burner reversible grille.  It may even be a better choice for my situation than the grill pan.  Certainly easier to store, although that's not a big deal.

The grill pan/reversible griddle allow the fat to drain away from the meat, which is a factor I'm considering, and the grill marks would be a nice addition as well

... Shel

I thought about the cleaning aspect, and noticed this little gizmo on the Amazon page that had the grill pan:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Manufacturing-SCRAPERGPK-Scraper-2-Pack/dp/B0073E3Q7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406748770&sr=8-2&keywords=lodge+grill+pan

I had something similar to this that I used to clean my George Forman grill. They work well.

I have a cast iron grill pan and I've used it couple times (on gas) then basically gave up. It just doesn't do anything that impressive for meat, IMO. Most recently I just used it for "grilling" hamburger buns and also sometimes I'll throw vegetables on it. (It is nice in that way for reheating some types of vegetables, as the grilled bits give some more interest to the leftovers.) But for meats I just use a cast iron skillet. Grill pan doesn't get enough heat to the meat itself in the right way or something.