• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fondant, anyone ever make it by hand?

Edward J

Every year I get an order for 150 Napolian slices, and since it is for Swiss customers, they are very specific about how a "real" napolian slice should be.  This means among other things, it should be glazed with white fondant  and streaked with dark chocolate lines.

In previous years I could order fondant in 2 lb containers, now it is only available in 20 ltr (5 gal) buckets, waaaay too much for me to use, even in a year.

I figured what the heck, I'll make some.  Took a recipie out of P. Grewling's "Confections & Choc." and followed it all the way up to slapping it around with a spatula by hand for 20 mins on a marble slab.  Yes, I am lazy, and I was also seriously concerned about breaking the spatula, that stuff gets very stiff, even before it turns white.  I have seen commercial fondant mixers, kind of two marble wheels slapping the fondant around. I don't have one of those, but I do have....

I figured, what the heck, and scraped the whole mess into the 30 qt mixer with the paddle and let 'er rip on first speed until it stiffened up and turned white--10 mins. I put this in a bucket and let it "ripen" overnight.

Next day I heated some up with a bit of syrup, and glazed my puff sheets.  It behaved very nicely.  I put the napolian "logs" in freezer to firm up before slicing--the fondant behaved like a gentleman and did not weep or melt.  I saved some scraps and stuck them in the fridge for two days, the puff obviously sogged up and the cream filling dried a bit, but the fondant was still in great shape.

So why does Grewling insist on slapping the fondant around by hand when you can do it in a mixer?

I have a friend who was a food scientist. One day, years ago, I needed a small amount of fondant, so she emailed me a page out of her textbook. The textbook advises to agitate the syrup on a marble slab with a spatula as well - but not by slapping. Instead it recommended moving the spatula through the mass in a vibrating, jig-saw fashion, scraping the marble as you go. It said that that was how to get the smallest grain size for the smoothest texture.

I'm a big fan of Chocolot's suggestion - using fondant to make more fondant.  I cook the syrup (called a bob syrup) to 115 or 118 C depending on the use - then cool down to about 60 C before adding the old fondant to seed the bob.  

Thanks for all the replies.

I still have some fondant left over, had a peek this morning and it is still very pliable and has a smooth, almost plastic mouthfeel to it.   It's been close to a week now since I made it, and have it stuffed in a 1 ltr honey pail and tight fitting lid.  I don't have much use for fondant, but now that I have made it, I'll be doing it again--in the 30 qt.

Thanks again, I'll be checking out the chef eddy site.