• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preservatives for cookies: questions

Bryanrobh

I was wondering what is the best preservative to preserve cookies without altering flavor? I want to use natural preservatives. I was looking at citric acid or folic acid but I have no idea on how much to use or which one to use. I would like opinion from people who know.

Also if I make a sauce with different items that already have preservatives in it is that sauce now preserved? Or do I need to add preservatives?

Thanks in advance

I wanted to sell them at a farmers market. I was going to use a vacuum sealer to pack them but I don't know if it is enough I go to the grocery store and look at the cookies ingredients and they have some sort of preservative in them. Even though they are packed in clam shell containers which seem like they would just dry out faster.

How far ahead are you making the cookies?  And what type of cookies are you making?    Unless you're making them far ahead, sealing them, and then storing at room temp for a long time, there would be no need to use preservatives.  

Normally, since cookies tend to be dry but fatty, the preservatives used are more along the lines of BHT/BHA to prevent rancidity. Although, good packaging may eliminate the need for a preservative.

The sauce answer is maybe, you have to run tests on the final sauce.

It would be easier and more effective to freeze them.  If you want to store them at room temperature for any length of time, you're going to have to start monkeying around with water activity and acidity regulation.

Absolutely, freeze. I actually find freezing improves the flavor of most cookies.