• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capicollo not drying properly

Nut chef

Hey,so I made capicollo few weeks ago,and for drying I got small Danby fridge,I placed some water with vinegar inside,turn the fridge up so in the end the temp was like 6-8 C,and humidity 90% and the thing still dry more on outside,forming dark harder layer what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Well, I never tried in a contained unit, always had a room, but I don't think your doing anything wrong! You may not be used to seeing the color change, but believe me it is drying slowly W/90% humidity. Thats how its supposed to dry,  slowly.  Its best in my opinion,  to allow the humidity to fluctuate some 60-100 but more on the high side early until the end of the second month. Three to four months curing for capicola but depending upon how big/thick will determine finish, squeeze it after two months. if you have to open it just smear lard on the open surfaces and hang it again,IMG_6145.JPGIMG_6162.jpgIMG_6303.jpgIMG_6343.jpg never plastic wrap.

On nice days you can take it out and hang it somewhere there are no black flies. The black fly is death to the proscuitto/capicola maker he will lay eggs and the meat will have maggots. Just a "TIP" 

So your temperature is fine, your humidity is fine. did you cold smoke? 

I think a little fresh air some days a small amour of indirect sun a dash of cold smoke fruit is best and some time.

Then you can slice it like this one I made and enjoy it with some bread and wine.