• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Knife

liuzhou

I'm looking to buy an oyster knife, something I've never previously possessed.

They aren't easy to come by here. The most popular on-line shopping site only stocks two.

The first is a no-name brand and costs ¥10 ($1.62 cents US / £1 UK) and the other is Victorinox at ¥41 ($6.62 US / £4 UK). Both are made here in China.

I'm half tempted to buy the cheap one just to see what it's like. Even if it breaks on the first shucking, it won't break the bank. 

But seriously, what should I be looking for in an oyster knife? 

Thks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Oyster-Knife/dp/B00004OCLC

This is similar to the one we have except ours has a guard between the handle and the blade.  I like the handle to be bigger like that--makes it easier to shuck (for me).  The blade is thick and a bit rounded.  I've had it for a lot of years and it hasn't broken yet.  Also, don't forget to get a kevlar glove or gloves to protect your hands.  Those suckers are lifesavers for me.  However, you are probably a lot better at opening oysters than I.

Also, don't forget to get a kevlar glove or gloves to protect your hands. Those suckers are lifesavers for me. However, you are probably a lot better at opening oysters than I.

I already have the gloves after a nasty incident where I zested myself on the microplane.

I've only ever shucked oysters with a Chinese cleaver before! The locals manage, but I've decided to be more stylish in my old age!

Oddly enough, the ¥10 one looks most like yours and has a guard between the handle and the blade which the more expensive one doesn't have.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

I think you will be fine with the cheap one. For a long time I used a very similar model that came for free with two dozen bretonian oysters.

The traditional style has a thick short blade, the guard Is usually there to protect you from cutting you fingers with parts of the shell as well as preventing part of the shell to splinter off and getting into the oyster by too enthusiastic shucking (like this one http://www.amazon.fr/Tefal-K0693014-Couteau-Huitre-Métal/dp/B00EHAG8WI/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0 ) Since you have already proper protection and don't work in an oysterbar with impatient customers I'd consider it optional.

There are a lot of oyster knives out there now with a long sharp blade (eg. this one http://www.amazon.fr/Birambeau-5968-Ariane-Ouvre-Huitre/dp/B000SA8766/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BR02373VAXJRQJM9QYB) and I have to admit that while it takes a slightly more delicate approach - more like "feeling you knife" in the oyster that the "stab&twist" with the classic one - I like the results: done right less danger of getting pieces of the shell in you oyster. But I had to practise ...

Edited by Duvel (log)

the red one.

Red is usually Best.

Hides the blood?

I like Shelby's (oyster knife). I have the same one, and it has served me well.  Long Island oysters are notorious for their thin shells and being a pain in the ass to shuck.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've had many oyster knives over the years. The worst ones are the ones with thin blades--they bend or get torqued out of shape really quickly. The one that I like best is the Dexter Russell with the 4 inch blade. This is the same one that is sold and used by the Hog Island Oyster Co. in Marshall, on Tomales Bay.  I bought mine there many years ago and they will sharpen it for free when I stop by. I find that the ones with hand protectors or guards are less functional, and that if you learn good technique a strong blade with a narrow point works best. Some of the stubbier knives are strong but blunt and can be harder to manipulate in the hinge. Plus with the long sharpened blade it is easier to separate the top of the oyster from the top shell without doing damage to the body. Amazon sells the Dexter with a shorter blade, but the 4-incher isn't hard to find if you go on line.

• Like 2

I've decided to do the obvious and buy both. Hang the expense! 

Will let you know how it goes.

Amazon sells the Dexter with a shorter blade, but the 4-incher isn't hard to find if you go on line.

Thanks, but Amazon China doesn't. As I've already said the only oyster knives I can find on line here are the two above.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In the US we usually shuck by prying the shell apart at the hinge.  I do this and have not found a better knife for it than the Dexter Russell.  Japanese friends shuck by cutting (?) the shells apart at the sides and favor a thinner knife.  What is you're preferred technique?

Anyone know anything about this? I just found the set is available here. Amazon reviews are very mixed.

I have no direct experience with the product and I've never shucked oysters for a living, but I have shucked many bushels of them for the consumption of myself, friends and family.

I don't think from looking at that plastic shield that it would be very effective or last long. One of the reviews said that it was just hard plastic inside, not lined with anything to grip the oyster, and smaller oysters (which can be the best of the lot) spin and slip around. It takes a lot of torque to twist the shell apart and rupture the surprisingly strong-for-its-size abductor muscle of an oyster.

I like a large guard on my oyster knife, because it allows me to use my ever lessening hand strength to best effect. The ones I have are cheap ($5.00 US 15 years ago) with thick textured ABS plastic handles and guards molded in a single piece. The guards are curved to allow me to grip the handle and jam the side of my fist down to create maximum pressure and torque. The handle is flattened rather than rounded, and this helps to get a good grip for twisting. The hardened 410 SS blade is short, not sharp, and thick and sturdy. I haven't damaged one in 15 years, and neither have the stronger men who have used them. Even more importantly, no one has been injured by them. Here is a picture from the site of the manufacturer who made my trusty knives. You might not be able to get it in China, but you might find a similar design, or someone else with access to it may benefit.

I always use an old kitchen towel to grip the oyster in my left (non-knife) hand, and I watched some videos on oyster shucking to see if I could learn anything that would be helpful next time we get some oysters. This is the most instructive one I found overall. I agree with her that it's very important to scrub the oysters clean before shucking. Also I noticed in this video that she leaves quite a bit of the abductor muscles still attached to the shells. Her knife seems to have a flat blade, while mine are convex on one side and concave on the other. You want to scrape loose the abductors with the convex side toward the shell and the concave side cupping the delicate oyster. I used have flat-bladed oyster knives with rounded wooden handles, but threw them out when I got my Carolinas because the older ones tended to slip more and were more dangerous. Another thing I do differently than the lady in the video is where she double-folds the towel over the top side of the oyster, instead, I place my holding hand on top of that first fold, and then fold the towel back over my hand just in case the knife were to slip. Of course a Kevlar or chain mail glove is better, but I don't have one.

I wouldn't waste my money on the plastic gripper gadget, especially if you already have an oyster knife that suits you.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Thanks for your long and considered reply, Thanks for the Crepes.

Here is what I can buy easily in China.

I already have this one for which I paid ¥5 (78 cents USD) and it's OK, especially at the price. I just wondered about the one with the oyster holding thingy.

I use your method with the towel too.

Your knife with the concave/convex shape seems to be echoed in the Victorinex one shown, but at almost ¥400 ($62.50), I'm not biting yet.

P.S. Like the video. Thanks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Yes liuzhou,

That price is ridicules, for the Victorinox, especially without the hand guard which adds to the utility and effectiveness of this tool. I like the description on the Chinese translated page of it: "hooked tip" which is a point in the design that I failed to mention.

If I absolutely had to choose from what is available on your page of, well, what's available to you in China, I'd probably go with this one. Although it doesn't have the built-in hand guard, it does seem to have a convex blade on the side I can see with a bit of a hooked tip. It has a flattened handle for better grip, and at least the handle has a "waist" to substitute (poorly) for the guard. I can't see where the much more expensive Victorinox improves on the design of this cheap one.

Please be careful with your current model, because it's much too sharp and pointy for a proper oyster knife, IMHO. It does have the flat handle shape and hand guard though, which are essential features. That blade, though, is an accident in progress, I think. Yikes!

> ^ . . ^ <

The LA Times included this oyster knife in their 2015 list of holiday gifts for foodies.  Reportedly, it's designed by Dutch champion oyster shucker Marcel Schouwenaar.  At $70, it's clearly in the gift/splurge category but it looks like it would be nice to hold.  Though, at that price, I wouldn't be able to afford any oysters!

This does not address liuzhou's queries but I thought I'd add it to the discussion, as I might if we were enjoying some pleasant dinner party conversation  :smile:

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Please be careful with your current model, because it's much too sharp and pointy for a proper oyster knife, IMHO. It does have the flat handle shape and hand guard though, which are essential features. That blade, though, is an accident in progress, I think. Yikes!

Thanks but worry not. I use the towel, a Kevlar glove and a chastity belt when shucking!

This does not address liuzhou's queries but I thought I'd add it to the discussion, as I might if we were enjoying some pleasant dinner party conversation  :smile:

Please continue the discussion. What I can find in China today will probably change tomorrow.

Incidentally, the local seafood market has many oyster shuckers. They use Chinese cleavers and not a glove or towel in sight.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Here's one not to buy.

This series has been very amusing on gadgets. Maybe a bit too British for some.

This reminded me of a manually operated machine I saw to help you shuck oysters, but while the one liuzhou posted seems poorly designed, the one in this video seems a lot better, but probably a lot more expensive. Again it has the what I consider perfect design on the blade part. Short, not sharp, curved longitdudinally with hooked tip curving toward the concave side, and with plenty of torque. My $5 knives work fine for me, but for commercial applications or older folks whose hand strength is gone with the wind, it might be worth seeking out.

> ^ . . ^ <