• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 2)

Anna N

there is this:

the problem w ATK and CC is that they take one idea, sometimes a good one, and then make 6 - 42 versions of it

all for a small or large fee,

they did this w the lemon stuff-a and the traditional FR herb Suff-a and put it all under the whole ck. skin including the leg.

i will take a bit to track it down, after all, on Rx there morphs into 42 books and 62 monthly publications.

more later, probably by PM

after all:   the skin is designed to protect the 'flesh' and the various 'inner' membranes  ( pleura etc ) are designed to protect the 

'fleshy' insides from well, what in the inners.

cheers

• Like 2

there is this:

the problem w ATK and CC is that they take one idea, sometimes a good one, and then make 6 - 42 versions of it

all for a small or large fee,

they did this w the lemon stuff-a and the traditional FR herb Suff-a and put it all under the whole ck. skin including the leg.

i will take a bit to track it down, after all, on Rx there morphs into 42 books and 62 monthly publications.

more later, probably by PM

after all:   the skin is designed to protect the 'flesh' and the various 'inner' membranes  ( pleura etc ) are designed to protect the 

'fleshy' insides from well, what in the inners.

cheers

This is very similar to a technique I use in a number of Indian dishes albeit with tbe skin removed.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What a score on the figs!  Sadly, I just really don't like figs.  When we moved to this place, there were several mature fig trees.  We took them out to make room for our kennel building.  Friends were horrified that we would do such a thing!

DSCN3144.jpg

Not one to muck with success - Summer Torte Blueberry edition.  This will be for the ER staff - tomorrow morning I will make some cheese biscuits to take for rounds.

• Like 6

Anna here is the recipe.

Hawaiian Banana Bread

Preheat oven to 350*

Pregrease and flour 2 9/5/3 loaf pans

3 C AP Flour

2 C sugar

1 tsp soda

1 tsp Salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 C nuts( we always used pecans but you could use walnuts)

Combine all dry ingredients set aside

3 eggs beaten

1 1/4 C vegetable oil

2 C mashed bananas

1 8oz can crushed pineapple (juice and all)

2 tsp.vanilla extract... the best you have.

combine all wet ingredients and fold into dry, until just moistened.

spread batter evenly between the 2 ready pans and bake in the preheated oven for app. 1 hour or so until done.( cake tester comes out dry.) Cool in pans about 10 minutes and then remove from pans and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!

Now I want to make that blueberry torte. I have 10# fresh ripe ones in the fridge. Maybe tomorrow!

Edited by caroled (log)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Anna here is the recipe.Hawaiian Banana BreadPreheat oven to 350*Pregrease and flour 2 9/5/3 loaf pans3 C AP Flour2 C sugar1 tsp soda1 tsp Salt1 tsp ground cinnamon1 C nuts( we always used pecans but you could use walnuts)Combine all dry ingredients set aside3 eggs beaten1 1/4 C vegetable oil2 C mashed bananas1 8oz can crushed pineapple (juice and all)2 tsp.vanilla extract... the best you have.combine all wet ingredients and fold into dry, until just moistened.spread batter evenly between the 2 ready pans and bake in the preheated oven for app. 1 hour or so until done.( cake tester comes out dry.) Cool in pans about 10 minutes and then remove from pans and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!Now I want to make that blueberry torte. I have 10# fresh ripe ones in the fridge. Maybe tomorrow!

Thank you for sharing. Will need to grab some crushed pineapple on the next grocery store run so I can try this. The torte is an amazingly adaptable vehicle for most fruit.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Breakfast is one of Kerry's cheese biscuits:

image.jpg

Later today I will be attempting to cook a pork belly in the Big Easy. First though I fancy making some pita bread. We have leftover chicken from last night and lots of salad ingredients and I think they would make a nice filling for a pita. Kerry is on call until eight tomorrow morning so I may or may not see her much of her all day. If she does have time between calls she will often whip up something in the kitchen so I try to stay out of there as much as possible but pita bread is fairly quick.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Do we have a recipe for this summer tart, which looks so delicious?  Picked up some apricots the other day and they're good but not great for eating out of hand, but I'm thinking in a tart...

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2013/07/summer-torte.html

No point in a photo of the ingredients for pita bread. Flour salt yeast water. The recipe is in the archives. It is the one by food man

image.jpg

image.jpg

And lunch:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Leftover chicken, a salad of tomato, cucumber and green onion dressed with ranch on just-out -of-the-oven pita bread. It doesn't get much better. (Store-bought ranch because it came in the cutest container. What can I say! The marketers have my number. )

Edited to change pizza to pita.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I may have to change my mind about what to do for dinner. It's cooled down enough to do pita, and I really like that recipe.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You two do the loveliest blog.  Enjoy it every time.

I made the Impossible Chocolate Pie and it was a great success with homemade Vanilla Ice Cream...but then our guest was a single gentleman and he loves anything made at home. 

Next I'm gonna make that Torte.  Haven't decided what fruit to use. 

Thanks for both of these recipes.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No point in a photo of the ingredients for pita bread. Flour salt yeast water. The recipe is in the archives. It is the one by food man

Located, copied, edited and saved. I will want to try this when the weather cools off. We like to make lamb patties and bbq them to stuff into pita bread halves. Freshly-made pita bread sounds like a nice addition.  I will most certainly have my wife make her home-made tzatziki for them.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Anna, do you make your pita in the Thermomix?

I do at home but there I have a TMX 21. It is counter intuitive I know but I think my old model kneads better than Kerry's newer model 31. This time I opted to use my Bosch compact with the dough hook. I adore that little machine!

One thing I should mention about the pita bread. When you roll it out and let it rest for 15 to 30 minutes make sure it does not fold in anyway or stick to any surface else it will not puff. Something I learned the hard way.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Located, copied, edited and saved. I will want to try this when the weather cools off. We like to make lamb patties and bbq them to stuff into pita bread halves. Freshly-made pita bread sounds like a nice addition.  I will most certainly have my wife make her home-made tzatziki for them.

Better yet make spiedies!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites