• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 2)

Anna N

The Manitoulin test kitchen topic has been so popular, it has reached the 20-page mark (the point beyond which the servers are begin bing less efficient at processing) in under a month! We've split this discussion; the preceding section is here: Manitoulin test kitchen (Part 1).

So there wasn't much to choose between them taste wise or texture wise.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Ruhlman wet/dry is faster and easier.

Most of the prep now done for another dinner of laarb this time using Kerry's recipe.

Might have cooked more this afternoon but had a nice nap instead after all this is supposed to be holiday too.

Edited by Mjx
Host note added (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN3110.jpg

A batch of emmalish's chocolate coconut caramels.  One day perhaps I'll read through a recipe before making it and follow the directions such as 'sprinkle half the coconut on the parchment'.  Mine have all the, rather brown, coconut on the top.  

• Like 2

Kerry, you have my sympathy. This recipe is written in a manner that drives me crazy.  The ingredients list has nothing to do with the order they will be used. I find this often on the internet and that is why I word process recipes and save them to disk.

This is the order the ingredients should be listed (I removed quantities to avoid any copyright issues):

x cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut, divided

x cup heavy cream

x teaspoon pure vanilla extract

x ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate

x cups sugar

x cup light corn syrup

x cup water

x tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces

X teaspoon salt

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I can't complain about other people's recipes when I see the way I save my own!  The instructions are just as likely to be missing entirely - cause 'hell - I've done it a hundred times before'.  Really makes it challenging when someone wants my recipe and I actually have to think about what I do.

• Like 4

Kerry suggested we take you along on our trip to the big city, the big smelly city. For those of you who do not know Espanola is a papertown and the process is extremely smelly. But first we stop at the hospital for Kerry to check on a couple of people:

image.jpg

Depending on how long it takes her we will be making a mad dash to beat the swinging bridge across to the mainland. In the summer the bridge swings every hour on the hour and traffic is blocked for 15 minutes.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So this morning we beat the swing bridge:

image.jpg

Still had to wait for a normal stop light as the bridge is only one lane:

image.jpg

It looks like night time but that is because Kerry took it through the windshield.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So to make it a little easier on us we are going to just post pictures. you can look at them, ask questions about them and we will comment on them when we get back from Espanola.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Monty Cristo.  Interesting.  Unlike most folks I have encountered, I was raised on salted French toast and that's how I eat it, when I do.  But I don't know about this fully loaded version. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

image.jpg

Late breakfast eggs home fries and sausage.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now we have blueberries!

image.jpg

Nah we didn't buy it.

image.jpg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Looked like a large stash of gummy bears until you turned it over.

image.jpg

From Giant Tiger.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Final three stops. On our way back to the Island. Bridge should be useable as this is almost on the hour and it will take us about 30 or so minutes to reach it.

image.jpg

Great wine is wasted on me! But this will work in the mussels tonight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog