• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Article: Finding The Source Of Poor Reviews

Porthos

When I read that article it rang very true for our town.  I think worse in bigger cities possibly, but I can't tell you how many times my food has been "not hot" or "not cold" after sitting at a table for 10-15 minutes untouched.

This boggles my mind.  People go to a restaurant, order hot food, receive hot food, sit there with hot food in front of them not eating it, then once the food is cold, ask for it to be reheated?  I can't imagine doing that. 

Maybe servers should swing by and offer a to go box when they see people not eating. 

• Like 1

We live very distracted lives these days.  I'm always amazed when it happens at my dinners...not to be a primadonna, but you're dining at a James Beard nominated restaurant and you're going to chat away while your food sits.  Oh well, they're paying the bill, just don't write a bad review.

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder how many eGulleteers are guilty of this based on the number of food pics taken at restaurants that show up on these pages.

... Shel

The phone / camera thing sounds completely plausible. We've all seen it in action - we've probably all been responsible to a greater or lesser degree. There's no question it has to change the dining experience for everyone involved, often for the worse.

But… what restaurant is this? As a New Yorker my over-rationalization radar immediately went up. There are precious few restaurants around in 2014 that were good in 2004 that are still as good now as they were then - sadly. That's the way this city's restaurant scene works. I'd love to know who this is.

I found this an interesting read. My question is it valid and/or typical?

http://themetapicture.com/people-kept-complaining-this-restaurant-sucked-look-what-they-found-out/

Based on what I've seen at restaurants in my area, I'd say it's not uncommon.  Toots and I go out to eat together several times a month, plus separately with other friends, and we see this sort of thing happen frequently. 

... Shel

But… what restaurant is this? As a New Yorker my over-rationalization radar immediately went up. There are precious few restaurants around in 2014 that were good in 2004 that are still as good now as they were then - sadly. That's the way this city's restaurant scene works. I'd love to know who this is.

Do you think this may be a hoax or an exaggeration? 

... Shel

Here's what I observed on one occasion I was at a certain restaurant in Frederick, MD where they serve a 21-course tasting menu...

A couple who came in and waited for the Table (I asked) spent ALL THE TIME on their smart phones.  They didn't even talk to each other.

I got seated next to the husband of the pair at the 8-seater special table for this tasting menu.  I tried to engage him in conversation.  No response, his body language told me to fuck off while he busied himself with his phone.  His wife did the same. (BTW they both barely ate anything, leaving many plates barely touched.  I got the distinct impression they were there as a mark of "having been there", not to actually enjoy any of the food.  I managed to ask the wife why she left almost all of a plate behind and she said she didn't care for the food on the plate) 

Another couple who got the seats closest to the kitchen (it may be helpful if you knew the layout of this particular table, if you know which one I mean - the wife had a HONKING big SLR camera ON A TRIPOD which she used to take photos of the dishes as they were served.

On my left were three women, the one on my immediate left did make small talk with me but she did take photos of each dish albeit fairly discreetly with a Samsung smart phone. 

At the end of the meal half of the folks at the Table had no idea what was supposed to occur - and I had to stop another pair from just walking off until I could get the staff to get the menus to the folks at the table.  (A complimentary menu of what was served that night is given to diners).  There was little sense that they had eaten a nice meal, except for the three women on my left (as mentioned above) who enjoyed the food as much as I did; the others seemed to be just "scoring another notch".

My son told me about this article a couple days ago.  The thought crossed my mind how much things had changed. As an art teacher, I had usually started my section about color by relating how Howard Johnson restaurants, back in the early 60's had increased turnover by changing the decor to brighter colors.  Quite a different kind of dilemma for restaurants today.  

The last time I asked a server to take a picture of us, was in California when I was having dinner with friends that included singer Joanie Sommers.  The occasion was about 12 years ago.

The last time I remember asking for a picture was at the Rose and Crown Pub in Epcot. They were not busy and very willing to accommodate.  Last time in a regular restaurant, just don't remember. We rarely photograph food.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Where was this, at Chuck E. Cheese's?

Sure, times have changed but the article is a work of poorly written fiction intended to trigger debate over the selfish and irresponsible use/misuse of personal devices.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Where was this, at Chuck E. Cheese's?

Sure, times have changed but the article is a work of poorly written fiction intended to trigger debate over the selfish and irresponsible use/misuse of personal devices.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Why do you think the article is fiction?

... Shel

Seems to me there are a bunch of things being lumped together here. Someone busy on their phone happens everywhere and can be annoying, but I also see people who just want to enjoy their apéritifs and starters without being rushed into ordering dinner. Is the complaint that people are taking longer to dine? Closer to 2 hours rather than 1? One hour is not a lot of time for a formal or multi-course meal. 

And I don't see the problem with taking some pics. Lots of people make restaurant reservations for a celebration of occasions - birthdays, retirements, engagements, girls' nights, promotions, showers, etc. Shel_B, do you seriously want to ban photos of these occasions? And do you think that most restaurants want to ban these celebrations? It's a big part of restaurant business, the celebration occasion.  

(I won't even mention your "Good Thing" Martha Stewart speak)

I love seeing pics of food from different restaurants - it gives me an excellent idea of what is actually served rather than just what is described. But I can't believe I even have to explain this fact on eGullet, Most of us here want to see pictures of food. Cooked at home or anywhere! At the same time, I am not obnoxious about taking pics and often have been afraid of doing so. But I think I might start taking a few more pics.

• Like 1

I seldom eat in restaurants.  I am a slow eater.  When I do eat in a restaurant I usually notify the server that I am a slow eater and that I do not mind waiting between courses.  As often as not the main course arrives while I am enjoying my salad or soup.  This bends me all out of shape,  I am normally a nice person, easy to get along with.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Why do you think the article is fiction?

It's an anonymous, unverifiable, Craiglist rant about a "a famous New York restaurant" written in the all too common inciteful style of something the author intends to go viral (which it has)...it's fiction.

• Like 8

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Yeah, the article does seem to be a bit "mysterious", but that said, it does have a lot of valid points.  When dining out, I see a lot of tables just staring at their "devices", don't know if this affects service or not.

I will agree with the observation that a lot of the server's time is spent with the (deleted) Wi-Fi code. While I don't own any "devices", my 16 yr old does.  Every time we go out, the first thing he asks is for the (deleted) wi-fi code--drinks, food, it can all wait. And then he just stares at his device and laughs occasionally. 

I haven't bothered with installing wi-fi in my place, I'm surrounded by indie cafes (and McD's AND two Stah-bucks) that offer that free, or give the code with the purchase of a beverage.  Some customers come in and the first question they ask me is if there's free wi-fi, when I tell them no, the look they give is one of me refusing medical treatment to a terminally ill patient.  Meh, whatever.....

With pictures, I find things a bit different.  One the one hand, whatever you buy is yours and you can take as many pictures as you want of it. Getting out of your seat, sticking your butt into the aisle, kneeling on the chair, or other antics to get a good shot are frowned upon, so is using a flash. Where I get really p.o'd is with customers taking pictures of other customer's food, boldly asking other customers if they mind taking  a picture, taking pictures of the staff without asking, and taking pictures of the café itself--décor, features, chocolate displays, etc. 

With all that being said, I don't find things being any different from 2004, other than this simple fact:  99.9% of people today have a device that they carry constantly, and the majority are addicted to it's features .  I'm quite  proud of the fact that I'm one of the .01% ers  

I agree with DiggingDogFarm, I call bullshit. I will give them points for detail though, july 1 2004  was on a thursday. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow