• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapenade and my Vitamix

bonkboo

I tried to make tapenade in my vitamix this weekend to less than favorable results. The mixture continually found itself deep in the corners away from the blades. Required numerous stoppages to push the mixture down. Any thoughts? Abandon the vitamix for the food processor? Use the dry ingredient mixer?

I guess it depends on what kind of texture you're looking for from your tapenade. If you add more liquid, it'll spin more easily, but you're basically going to end up with a puree. When I make tapenade to eat at home, I prefer to chop it by hand; when I've done it at work, I use the Robot Coupe.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Made a great tapenade today in the food processor. It is fairly easy to control how coarse the end result is when you pulse it. The recipe was an adaptation of a David Tanis recipe subbing Castelvetrano olives for the black olives and adding parsley. Really good. Seems to me that the type of olive used partly determines whether or not the texture is coarse. An oil cured of softer black olive is more likely to make a pastier spread than a crisper green olive, no?