• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'ambroisie chocolate tart

Ly Qw

Has anyone successfully made this at home before? The recipe from their cookbook isn't descriptive enough and I've had moderate success with it but the sabayon texture just looks much more aerated in the ambroisie version

Probably it's just a matter of the kind of chocolate. I suppose you are using a chocolate with more cocoa mass and less cocoa butter than the one used in the original. Is it written what kind of chocolate they are using, besides the %? Cluizel?

Teo

Teo

• 2 years later...

This is Continued from a previous post, thought id start fresh.     Has anyone successfully replicated this ?  I have been doing so much research about this and cant seem to find any concrete trials of success.   I know there was a chef in Kuala Lumpur who did it w an isi but cant find an exact method.   Can anyone help with this ?

• 8 months later...
32 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Here you go. Lucky you - it’s been published in the French Elle.

http://m.elle.fr/Noel/Cuisine/Recettes-de-Noel/Tarte-fine-sablee-au-chocolat-de-Mathieu-Pacaud-2872112

That's the same recipe that I played with above. Although I see in my notes that @adey73 provided some input and mentions a 2012 version that has -

100 grams 70% chocolate
4 yolks
2 whole eggs
60 grams sugar

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We have tried following the original recipe from Pacaud. Beating the eggs for 30min is clearly wrong, about 4 to 5min gives good results (or until the eggs quadruple in volume).

The temperature of the chocolate sabayon is crucial for it to set at the correct consistency, closer to 70C it will resemble a crème anglaise, 75C a soft flan. 

After a couple of iterations we got very good results:

DSC_0693.thumb.jpeg.af68ea88bd7d589ab7658521187c73d2.jpeg

We really couldn't find any decently written recipes, so we added ours to our blog.

Edited by Objective Foodie (log)
  • Like 1