• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too Much Air in My Smoothies

Shel_B

I make what I call smoothies a few times a week.  The techniques is to use homemade almond milk, a ripe banana, and some fruit, such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.  No ice, but the fruit is refrigerator cold.  I whirl the mixture in the blender for a minute or so, depending on the size of the banana, and that's it.

The result is a frothy, airy drink, but I'd like to find a way to incorporate less air into it.  How might that be accomplished?

... Shel

When I do smoothies  with lactosefree milk that froth a little bit too much for my liking, I have started  making the fruit pure first with a little milk and then at the end add the milk, either just stir it in or   a very short blend..  The same should work with almond milk.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I've taken to using CatPoet's strategy and my results are much better than my previous attempts (which were more "foamies" than "smoothies"). Also, if you add anything like protein powder, do it at the end and blend in at low speed for just long enough to disperse the powder.

• Like 1

A sure way:

If you have done polyester castings; you know you have to remove as much air bubbles as you can from the high viscosity liquid mix. Put the liquid in a container and draw a vacuum, most of the air will bubble, rise to the top and burst.

If you fashion an air tight cap to the blender jar and use your Foodsaver to draw a vacuum, you will be able to end up quickly with a smoothie with no air trapped. Otherwise you may have to wait hours, or days.

dcarch

Try blending the fruit with just enough liquid to get it smooth, then add the rest of your almond milk and blend at a lower speed.  Freezing the fruit and/or a portion of the almond milk (to make almond milk ice cubes) may also help.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Do you have a food processor?  They don't whip air into things the way blenders do*.  Puree fruit in food processor then add almond milk to loosen to desired consistency.

*they also don't puree as well as blenders do, so only try the food processor if you don't mind little bits of texture.

I like this, there is a  high tec solution to the problem and a low tech one.  

Try all of them!

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.