• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glassa Gastronomica

liuzhou

A local store has started stocking this. I doubt there are more than two people in the whole city who know what it is. I had a vague idea but had to check.

I've never used the stuff. Should I pick up a bottle? And what should I do with the contents?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I'd never heard of it until now. Google results come up with a Ponti Glassa Gastronomica and goes on to say that it's a balsamic glaze, i.e. a heavily-reduced balsamic vinegar. Is Ponti the brand you found, and does balsamic glaze sound right? If so, I'd try it, and start with the assumption that it's similar to a particularly thick balsamic vinegar. I'd start with drizzling it over good fresh stone fruit, glazing it on chicken (maybe pork or lamb also) prior to cooking - or maybe after, or maybe both, and brushing peaches or other stone fruit with it prior to grilling them. It might be good on grilled eggplant. It might go nicely into a stir fry sauce, too; I'm thinking of the glazes involved in dishes like Favorite Concubine's Chicken.

If you buy it, please let us know what it's like.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yes, it is presented as balsamic vinegar reduced to a glazing consistency. It's this brand which seems to be the only brand. Perhaps their invention. Their website claims it has "High quality ingredients“ but seems reluctant to say what they are.

I might pick some up tomorrow. It's a bit on the expensive side, but not bank-breaking. I'll certainly be checking out the ingredient list.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

That looks like a plastic bottle, which I consider a red flag, since any decent balsamic vinegar product is bottled in glass; the producers are fussy about that.

From this site, http://www.ciao.it/Ponti_Glassa_Gastronomica__Opinione_795624, the ingredient list:

'Ingredienti: mosto d'uva concentrato cotto, aceto balsamico di Modena 49% (aceto di vino, mosto d'uva concentrato e cotto, colorante: caramello E150d; antiossidante: anidride solforosa), amido modificato di mais, addensante: gomma di xantano.'

[ingredients: concentrated grape must, balsamic vinegar of Modena 49% (wine vinegar, concentrated and cooked grape must, caramel colour, sulfur trioxide as an antioxidant), modified maize starch, xanthan gum as a thickener].

It's thicker than balsamic vinegar because it has starch and gum added, not because it is concentrated.

Save your money, get a decent but not atrociously priced bottle of commercial balsamic vinegar, and reduce it; heat won't hurt it, although cold can really muck up the consistency irretrevably.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That looks like a plastic bottle, which I consider a red flag, since any decent balsamic vinegar product is bottled in glass; the producers are fussy about that.

The one in my local store is in glass.

Save your money, get a decent but not atrociously priced bottle of commercial balsamic vinegar

I would if I could. I've never seen it here.

Leave it where it is, as everything made by Ponti. They are one of the cheap companies here in Italy, their products are among the worst you can find in our supermarkets. Plus I would bet that their exported stuff is of lower quality than what they sell here.

Teo

Teo