• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help, baking with a messy food processor

Mottmott

I often use my processorto make bread, pasta, etc. About 5 years ago I replaced my 60"s Cuisinart with a new one because the old one "puffed" flour all over the counter. The new one: a Cuisinart  Power Prep Plus with a dedicated bread button, which lead me to believe it was designed with bread/pasta making in mind.

To my GREAT annoyance, the new one is at least as bad, maytbe worse, than the old one in flouring my counter. I've taken to stuffing the cavities in that funel that sits on top with cloths to minimize the mess.

So dedicated bakers, is there a processor out there that will not puff out flour when used for baking? Yes, I know I could knead these things by hand. But my aching back, shoulders, hands... has led to shortcuts in baking rather than no baking at all.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I use a mixer, you can get one with a lot more capacity than any food processor. (I make a big batch of dough and use it for several days.) With a mixer, you can control the speed and start slowly so as to not get flour making a cloud like that. Also, some mixer manufacturers make a plastic guard that really works for keeping the cloud inside.

Also have never had this problem.  Let's eliminate another issue.  You're using the dough "blade," right, not the knife blade?  I ask, in part, because I don't know whether the original Cuisinart even had that tool (got my first in the mid-80s).

Why not just accept the fact that baking, making doughs, etc. is a little messy.  As is most cooking.

Take a look at a professional bakery or in a pizzeria - there's flour everywhere.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?