• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Doesn't Use a Microwave Oven?

weinoo

I use it to thaw pizza slices prior to the Breville.

To precook diced potatoes before the skillet.

Mostly for warming plates.

That's it.

Hate the space it takes up, but I do not live alone.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Okay this is my take on the microwave.  I actually got my first one back in 1975.  It was an Amana Radar Range and weighed in at 500 pounds.  At least that is what my long suffering said when he had to carry it.  It was all chrome, shiny with fancy dials.  As close to a space ship as I'll ever be.  Did I use it, you bet I did.  I found out I could ruin food at warp speed and destroy the evidence even faster..  It was to me back then just as amazing as the sous-vide stuff is today.  I still have a microwave and use it for baking potatoes, cooking bacon, and many other uses, even drying catnip for stuffing into felt mice.

On the other hand, I have never owned a stand mixer and never will.  Just a matter of priorities!  I save that counter space for the microwave :laugh:

• Like 3

I have an over-the-range microwave (which was important to me because I didn't want to give up counter space for one) but I am using it far less than I used to - mostly because of the Cuisinart Convection-Steam Oven and the induction burner I bought. The Cuisinart and the induction burner perform many of the functions I used to use the MW for, although not always as quickly. But the results are usually better. 

I'm pretty sure my household would fall over and cease to function without a microwave. As much as folks like to cook, we have a variety of health problems and a kid, so sometimes reheating something as fast as possible is the best option for a meal. (Plus the kiddo has learned to handle hot plates from the microwave safely but has not yet been approved for unsupervised use of the gas stove or oven, so it lets him do more himself and participate in preparing meals when we do cook. Usually he is put in charge of using it to steam vegetables for a side, with help if the vegetables require cutting up since we are still working on knife skills and safety.)

My housemates seem much more reliant on it than I am, though. The only "cooking" I do with it is steaming vegetables (I'll stick potatoes in to get them started before putting them in the oven for baked potatoes, too, just to shorten the cooking time) and occasionally stuff like melting butter. My housemates, on the other hand, seem to think that a microwaved egg omelette is acceptable. (No offense if you like them for some reason, but my experience has been that microwaving just makes meat and eggs go weird. Yuck.)

Oh, and when I lived in the uk I had a microwave that was especially good at defrosting meat without cooking bits of it, so I did use that feature occasionally. Our current microwave is awful at that, though, so I don't bother.

Two great uses for the microwave:

1. Old computer storage DVDs, CDs with personal and financial information, before throwing them out, just put a whole stack of them and zap for 15 seconds. Total wipe out.

2. Kitchen towels, before they get totally filthy, just a little wetting, and zap for 1 minute, they will be completely sanitized.

dcarch

Things I use the microwave for:

*Taking the chill off refrigerated cat food before giving it to the cat

*Melting butter and chocolate (separately or together)

*Reheating leftovers

*Thawing frozen vegetables

*Heating milk, either for cooking or for hot beverages

*Making roux when I'm too lazy to stand in front of the stove and stir and stir and stir and stir and stir

*Cooking an ear or two of corn

*Making a serving of oatmeal (this actually isn't me; it's when my MIL visits)

*Starting baked potatoes

For these tasks, I can't find a better tool than the microwave.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I forgot to mention that the microwave is used to dry and sanitize my dishwashing sponges.  Works great, helps keep the sponges looking like new.  A  few minutes on high and the job's done.

• Like 1

... Shel

I forgot to mention that the microwave is used to dry and sanitize my dishwashing sponges.  Works great, helps keep the sponges looking like new.  A  few minutes on high and the job's done.

Was just about to post the exact same text. 

Plus, when I am pressed for time in donating to local animal charities for their sales, I have made the lollipops using a microwave recipe.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Two great uses for the microwave:

1. Old computer storage DVDs, CDs with personal and financial information, before throwing them out, just put a whole stack of them and zap for 15 seconds. Total wipe out.

2. Kitchen towels, before they get totally filthy, just a little wetting, and zap for 1 minute, they will be completely sanitized.

dcarch

Oh yes, I do 2 with sponges also, every so often. You often get two for one value from that because the steam from the damp sponge loosens up any splatters that people neglected to clean up promptly, so you can just do a quick wipe and have a clean interior again, no scrubbing.

• Like 1

it can also dry out a wet newspaper.

be careful though   its a short time from a dry ( formerly wet ) newspaper to one on fire.

you can guess all you want on how I know this.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Ours lives on top of the refrigerator, and our ceilings are high enough that we have additional stuff on top of the microwave.  So, effectively, it is using up zero space in our kitchen.

99% of our microwave use is for reheating and defrosting.  

--

The microwave oven seems almost to be a ubiquitous item in the kitchen of every friend I know who cooks.  Everyone I know, even those who care very little for cooking, has and uses one.

I don't own one, so, my questions are, if you don't use one, why, and what do you use in its stead?

I dont have a microwave in my house.. We moved here about 6 years ago and redid our kitchen.. We just did not add a microwave into the plan.  Prior to that, I bought a microwave, some hot plates and a toaster oven when we lived without a kitchen for a year. We made tea and hot chocolate in the microwave but not much else.. 

When I was smoking cigarettes and didn't have a light in the hotel room, if you put a piece of tin foil from your pack in the microwave, put a small piece of toilet paper over that and turned on the microwave, you could light the toilet paper on fire and then light your cigarette.   That is my drunk at 3 am, need a light, pro tip.  

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

We bought a microwave 26 years ago when I had a baby so we could heat up milk or baby food if needed. We have the same microwave still, and have never used it to cook a single thing except microwave popcorn, which isn't really cooking, is it? We use it to heat up leftovers, hot drinks etc, which isn't insignificant when you consider the energy saved by not having to wash a pan to heat stuff up in. Now that I've become a devotee of stovetop popcorn I never make microwave popcorn any more. I rarely even defrost in it if I can help it--takes a long time and it's noisy. Love that 3am tip, but maybe not enough to see if it works.

My first microwave was an Amana RadarRange purchased at great expense in 1968 when they still sent a person (a nice lady) out to give you a 3-hour session on how to use it. 

I've never been without one since and that RadarRange lasted for 20 years, until one came out that was significantly larger.

When the first Sharp with the rotating tray became available I bought one the first DAY it was demonstrated in the May Company dept store in Topanga Plaza. 

I like them.

I have four at present, all Sharps.  One is a combination Convection/Microwave, another is an extra-large with the 15 inch turntable but not quite as tall inside as the combo and one is a cube-shaped "half-pint" which is here in my office handy to reheat my coffee or tea or whatever.  Another one is in my storeroom a small one that I take when I travel because the ones in motel rooms are often non-functional, cheap jobs that I don't trust are clean.

I have done a lot of experimenting with cooking, heating and melting and some things are just so much easier with the MW.

I prepare yogurt often, at least once a week - half a gallon at a time - and heating the milk in the MW is so much easier with ZERO chance of it scorching - which results in yogurt with a "vulcanized" flavor that is awful.  Some custards can be cooked in the MW but you have to experiment to know how to get the correct result. 

I cook bacon in the MW on one of the ridged "pans" specifically made for cooking meats - that way I can save the drippings.

I cook simple syrup in the MW and have developed a way of candying citrus peel. 

Fresh vegetables are wonderful cooked in the special plastic bags made for that purpose. (also works for frozen)

Fruit compotes and purees are easy in the MW and the ceramic or glass vessels are a heck of a lot easier to clean than the stove-top pans. 

If I absolutely had to get along without one I could do so but I don't want to. 

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I thaw and cook peas and brocoli in  my  microwave oven and melt butter.  We only have a microwave due to my husband,  he wasnt that happy about about my microwave free home when he moved in here  since he is  a Microwave Master chef.  Can int be thawed or cooked in the microwave, he can do it.  He can cook on the stove too but only 3 dishes .

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

When I redid the kitchen a few years ago, I decided not to include one as I rarely used it in my previous place. I don't miss it at all.

I use the one we have at work to reheat leftovers for lunch. At home I reheat stuff in the warming drawer, the oven, or on the stove.

• Like 1

We've always had a microwave and never really use them extensively until we got our most recent one.  About a year ago our built in GE convection microwave died and we ended up replacing it with a new Panasonic microwave.  The newest technology for microwaves is called Inverter technology and was pioneered by Panasonic although many others now have it.  It's big advantage is and how it is controlled.  Instead of cycling on and off like old microwaves did when set for something less than full power it actually lowers the overall power of the microwave.  We've found that it defrost and heat items much more evenly without creating hotspots or dry spots.  It's really quite a major step forward in how microwaves operate!  Obviously is still can't brown but not as much better at doing everything else.  Anybody who is considering a new microwave definitely needs to look at one with Inverter technology.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I agree, the inverter tech is a great feature.   I have a 2.2 cu ft panasonic that is on its own wall mounted shelf

I love how if you go down to 10% power you can truly use it as a keep warm option.  low power defrosting and melting things like butter is much more precise. No more blasting at full power then switching off for a time , then blasting again. 

My microwave  is big enough , I tend to use it for  unusual things.

If I want a large pot of boiling water fast, I split the amount between the stovetop pot, my electric kettle , and a large 8 cup pyrex measure in the microwave.  once all have boiled pour into the big stovetop pot.

I will  use it as a proofing box for dough, I put a  small pyrex  cup with water into it and get it hot  then place the towel covered bowl of dough in it.  it fits the measure cup and a big bowl easily. good humidity and the hot water keeps warmth even. 

It is my go to spot for resting meats. just large enough to fit  a large oval turkey platter with a 20 lb turkey on it  and keeps resting meats out of the way and temp from cooling off too quickly. 

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

LIke so many others who've already posted, I  use my microwave only for reheating beverages and leftovers; preparing frozen vegetables; making popocorn; and warming up ingredients for baking.  Since all of these things can be done without much difficulty on the stove or in the conventional oven, I could probably get along just fine without it .. and one of these days, when I'm looking around for counter space and finding none, I may decide that the time has come!