• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Doesn't Use a Microwave Oven?

weinoo

The microwave oven seems almost to be a ubiquitous item in the kitchen of every friend I know who cooks.  Everyone I know, even those who care very little for cooking, has and uses one.

I don't own one, so, my questions are, if you don't use one, why, and what do you use in its stead?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I own a microwave but outside of steaming veggies I do not actually cook with it. I reheat coffee (sorry, weinoo), defrost meat, bring casserole-style dishes back to temperature when the regular oven is already in use,etc.  I could live without one if necessary.

I specifically don't think animal proteins cook well in a microwave.

If one doesn't have microwave, is space-limited, and has no desire to own one I think that is reason enough to not have one.

Just my 8 farthings worth ...

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

First, microwave oven is not an oven.

An oven heats up food. 

A microwave oven cannot heat up the food, it generates no heat, there is no heating element, instead, the food heats itself up. The food itself is the heating element.

I don't use the microwave for cooking, just for heating or reheating.

dcarch

• Like 1

Please reconcil 

First, microwave oven is not an oven.

An oven heats up food. 

A microwave oven cannot heat up the food, it generates no heat, there is no heating element, instead, the food heats itself up. The food itself is the heating element.

I don't use the microwave for cooking, just for heating or reheating.

dcarch

Please reconcile the sentence that says a microwave can not heat up the food with the sentence that states that you use the microwave for heating and reheating.

• Like 1

I've read ad nauseam about microwave food safety and nutrition.  The consensus seems to be that they, in fact, maintain more nutrition than regular cooking because the heating up happens faster than other methods, thus keeping nutrients from cooking out.  And the whole cancer thing is similar to MSG in that one outlier suggested that it caused cancer but studies have never shown that to be true.  All of that said, I only use mine for heating liquids.  I simply don't like what it does to the texture.

• Like 1

I have never owned nor rented, nor had in my home, a microwave.  I have limited space and a microwave takes up almost as much room as a chamber vacuum sealer.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I boil water for my drip coffee, 'preheat' certain veg that either then go in the oven or on the grill, and

pre-heat my 'Tots that then go in the Breville to really really crispy much faster etc.  eat 'um sooner.

• Like 1

Please reconcil 

Please reconcile the sentence that says a microwave can not heat up the food with the sentence that states that you use the microwave for heating and reheating.

Sure.

I said, "--microwave oven is not an oven-"  then "--The food itself is the heating element.--"

So the food heats itself with microwave energy, then, I said, "--- I don't use the microwave for cooking, just for heating or reheating." 

I did not say "microwave oven", just the microwave.

Every single cooking appliance uses radiant heat (as ovens, the BGE, etc.) or conduction heat (sous vide water oven), microwave is the one appliance that is totally unique.

Actually there are two other very unique ways, not very common ways of cooking: 1. electric resistance cooking, 2. using the energy of friction. Can you guest what it is?

dcarch

Doesn’t it come down to a matter of common usage and context really? Without context one would not be able to determine the meaning of the word band.  Is it a metal band, a music band, a band of brothers or a rubber band.

Likewise the word oven out of context could refer to a chamber that dries, melts or bakes.  When one modifies the word with kitchen oven or electric or gas or wood fired, one more readily understands that it is for food preparation by radiant and/or convection but when "oven" is modified with the word microwave, one understands that food is heated in a chamber by the transfer of energy that does not turn into heat until it reaches the food. In all cases, the food is heated.

Saying just microwave without oven is a less precise a description. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

Actually there are two other very unique ways, not very common ways of cooking: 1. electric resistance cooking, 2. using the energy of friction. Can you guest what it is?

Well technically the microwave cooks by friction - the microwaves cause the molecules to vibrate and rub against each other creating friction and that turns into heat.  The only other way I can think of is the standard Vitamix/Blendtec heating soup demo.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I don't cook with it. It's wonderful when I'm baking, to quickly take the chill off milk and soften the butter a little, since I don't always plan ahead. And melting chocolate without using a double boiler. It's great for reheating and defrosting. It definitely has its uses and gives a big "assist" to baking and cooking, although I wouldn't use it directly for either.

• Like 1

My current kitchen is too small, and is about to be remodeled, so I haven't had one for a couple of years. I haven't missed having a microwave, at least not as much as I expected to.

I have a Zojirushi pot for making hot water, I am a tea drinker. I tend to use my broiler for heating or reheating a lot of items.

""  1. electric resistance cooking  """

those hot dog cookers from long ago that passsed a current through the dog

I believe that that is how panko break crumbs are made also.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Well technically the microwave cooks by friction - the microwaves cause the molecules to vibrate and rub against each other creating friction and that turns into heat.  The only other way I can think of is the standard Vitamix/Blendtec heating soup demo.

Very true. At the end of all forms of heating, they all fall into the theory of Kinetic Particle Theory,

But back to microwave oven, this form of heating limits the usefulness of microwave ovens to only heating and not browning (no caramelization, except bacon type) unless your microwave incorporates resistance heating. I used to have one, but it was much more expensive. 3 to 4 times more $ and much bigger in size. 

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I keep my microplane grater on top of mine.

Seriously, I have a crappy microwave.  I only use it to reheat leftovers and melt butter.  No real cooking is done with it.

My microwave heating device is a small, low-end model that I bought used from some guy in a parking lot.  He was asking $10.00 for it, couldn't break a twenty, and ended up giving the thing to me.

It's used for warming or heating liquids, warming leftovers, and it's a great way to quickly brown garlic and warm or melt butter.  I can't think of much more that it's used for except occasionally cooking broccoli and pre-cooking Kabocha squash, making it easier to cut through the tough rind.  Oh, yeah, I sometimes partially pre-cook potatoes that will be fried. 

It's also good for warming the Microwaveable Heating Pad that Toots has - something like this:  http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0242/5165/files/HP-Collection-Page_grande.jpg?7502 and also for her microwaveable slippers   http://www.amazon.com/Carex-Bed-Buddy-Warming-Footies/dp/B000KBLKTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405800881&sr=8-1&keywords=microwavable+foot+warmers that warm her feet in the cold weather.  Toots also makes oatmeal in her microwave heating device.

... Shel

I don't use the microwave for much - mostly defrosting - although I used to use it more than I do now. Lately I've been using the circulating water bath for defrosting meats. But my wife uses the microwave every day to defrost an english muffin. But when I rarely do chocolate work, I find the microwave and a glass bowl are great for melting the chocolate. The microwave also makes short work of making a dark roux for gumbo, although you have to be careful taking the container of hot, liquid magma in and out to stir every once in a while. It's also good for reheating rice by making an improvised steamer. Put rice on a plate, get a paper towel wet and wring out the excess moisture, then lay it over the top of the rice and microwave on full power for about a minute or so.

• Like 1

It's also good for reheating rice by making an improvised steamer. Put rice on a plate, get a paper towel wet and wring out the excess moisture, then lay it over the top of the rice and microwave on full power for about a minute or so.

Very cool!  Thanks for the tip.

... Shel