• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Doesn't Use a Microplane Grater?

Shel_B

thank you  

andiesenji

for the above pics.  the MP in the top pic, third from the L, hasnt been seen here for some time.  I hunted it down and will use it tonight !  it was hiding in a drawer when it was supposed to be next to its friends.

the 4th L to R  top pic has an interesting pattern on the top 1/2  you grate L to R on that or up and down ?

Ive never seen that pattern.  have to hunt one down.

That one is the Cuisipro Dual Grater

It's okay but a bit awkward to use as sometimes the plastic sleeve slips when grating something with more resistance, such as fresh coconut.

P.S.  I just remembered that I have a long tubular one somewhere around.  I did a cursory look but couldn't find it but I have so much kitchen junk that it may have been shuffled in with some other little used items.  It was a gift and frankly I never found a use for it. One would have to use a cut-proof glove if holding anything - it was listed as a spice grater but originally a round wood rasp, for which it would be appropriate.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Nice article FP, thanks

in looking over my collection, the picture above  ( post # 35 ) is not a microplane

its an Accutec ® from Cuisipro.

Technically you are 100% correct.  We just use the generic term "Microplane" to refer to all utensils that are made with the photo-etching process.

Cuisipro took the original idea and ran with it, producing a wide range of graters, slicers and with safety accessories. 

I believe the process of manufacturing is much the same:  Accutec is the patent name filed by Cuisipro and they were sued:

"In 2002, Grace Manufacturing Inc filed a lawsuit against Browne and Co. Ltd. among others, alleging that the Cuisipro "Accutec" line of etched graters infringed on Microplane patents, and that Browne and Co. practices with regard to the Acutec brand represented unfair competition. Grace further made public statements at that time, intended to create distance between their graters and the Acutec line of products, particularly from the historical context associated with Microplane (for example, stating that only Microplane products had a history in woodworking use(such as crafting skills to make historical replicas of atlatl), and that Acutec was not to be considered a next-generation design). However, after several years of litigation process, the suit ultimately led to a mutual settlement (May/June 2005 with details being filed as confidential), which allows Grace to continue with their patented process and Browne with their process (which is patent pending). Both versions are being widely distributed around the world today."

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here's a closeup scan of the Dual grater.

Scan-140720-0001.jpg

I don't use one because I neither NEED one nor WANT one.

I use a vegetable peeler whenever I need citrus zest, then I perform a chiffonade cut.

I find that microplaned zest and chiffonade zest are different. I'll do the chiffonade if I specifically want pieces that I can strain out relatively easily, but most of the time I like the small fluffy pieces I get from the microplane because they seem to do a better job of making the oils available.

Then again, I'm not in a small NYC apartment kitchen, and I'm usually pressed more for time than for space.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

IMG_1391.jpg

A few of the grater type objects we have here with us up north.  Only one microplane like (cuispro like Andie's).

Not mentioning the grater blades for the old cuisinart.

• Like 2

I find that microplaned zest and chiffonade zest are different. I'll do the chiffonade if I specifically want pieces that I can strain out relatively easily, but most of the time I like the small fluffy pieces I get from the microplane because they seem to do a better job of making the oils available.

Then again, I'm not in a small NYC apartment kitchen, and I'm usually pressed more for time than for space.

I'm not disputing that they are.

The question was asked whether one uses or doesn't use a microplane grater, and if one doesn't, why.

For my purposes, my substitution works just fine and it's not a universal.

Ha, I had three of them in the mid 60's - fine, medium and rough. Never touched any food with them as they were for shaping surfboards. And I still have no need for them as my standard box grater does just fine, than you!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Soooooooooooo ....

andiesenji

don't have this one, do Ya'

attachicon.gifpost-68597-0-09284600-1405861253.jpg

think  " fluffy "

:biggrin:

No.  Don't have that one.  I think it appeared well after I bought mine - haven't purchased a new one for at least two years, maybe longer.

I think it is the "two-way" or push-pull grater. 

I have more than three.  all gotten on sale.  they change models from time to time like cars, so the last model is on sale.

this one :

attachicon.gifMicro.jpg

makes incredibly 'fluffy' parmesan grated cheese.

I have that exact same one, as well as one larger and one smaller (all three Cuisipro). I use the smaller one most often, for zesting citrus and grating nutmeg. After using a microplane for zesting? I would never go back to anything else. Just look at that zest!

The 2 larger ones are usually used for hard cheeses (like you said, FLUFFY!). I do have a box grater that I mostly just use for grating larger quantities of softer cheeses, like cheddar and mozz. I have never, ever used the graters on my food processor. Way too much clean-up!

fluffy.jpg

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

"""   I keep my ginger in the freezer and grate it with the Microplane  """

I also do this.  you just 'plane off a bit of the end to get to the 'fresh' area

I also include the skin as the shavings are very fine,

Ive also started doing this with garlic, as otherwise a fair amount sprouts or spoils,