• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Ways to Cook Corn on the Cob

Shel_B

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Thanks!

Thirty minutes, 182f

Most everyone seems to prefer more well done corn than I do.  I do mine thirty minutes at 140F.  In searching back though old eGullet content I found I had equally good results steaming corn at 140F in the CSO.  A lot easier than worrying with floating sous vide bags.  I had completely forgotten about the CSO for corn.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Most everyone seems to prefer more well done corn than I do.  I do mine thirty minutes at 140F.  In searching back though old eGullet content I found I had equally good results steaming corn at 140F in the CSO.  A lot easier than worrying with floating sous vide bags.  I had completely forgotten about the CSO for corn.

Me too. Floating corn bags are a PITA

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Me too. Floating corn bags are a PITA

This is where I received the revelation of 140F:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/144300-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2011/?do=findComment&comment=1810427

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Really. Really fresh corn is fine right off the stalk. From a market maybe four minutes in boiling water.

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

I use the method posted here long ago by @shel.  Keep the corn in the husk and microwave for 3 minutes per ear.  Remove from the microwave then cut off the stem end just beyond the curve, towards the silk.  Then you squeeze the corn out of the husk from the silk end.  Holding it with a towel while squeezing helps if it’s hot. Slides right out with minimal to no silk.

If you cut too close to the stem it won’t slide out, so you’ve got to get just to the silk side of the fattest part.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The Chart by @Okanagancook says cook corn on the cob in the husk in the CSO on steam at 400 for 30 minutes.  You do yours for the same amount of time at 140, on the steam setting?

Thirty minutes at 140F* on the steam setting.  The corn has been shucked and washed.  A temperature of 400F was probably on bake steam or super steam (steam setting goes up only to 210F).  I once looked into trying corn in the husk but it didn't fit.

*I'd be inclined to try 150F.  Corn is on sale this week.

Yes, must have been super steam but that does seem like a high temperature for a long time.  I tried to find the post I used to make that entry but couldn’t.  I did find a 2016 entry from you where you thought 140 for 12 minutes on steam worked as well as sous vide.  We are  all probably thinking it depends on the corn Cobb 😬.  The 3 to 4minute microwave method is probably the easiest especially because the silk is removed easily AND the CSO would then be free for other foods.🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thirty minutes at 140F* on the steam setting.  The corn has been shucked and washed.  A temperature of 400F was probably on bake steam or super steam (steam setting goes up only to 210F).  I once looked into trying corn in the husk but it didn't fit.

*I'd be inclined to try 150F.  Corn is on sale this week.

I'll try that.  Corn is cheap around here right now too.  We love corn.

53 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Yes, must have been super steam but that does seem like a high temperature for a long time.  I tried to find the post I used to make that entry but couldn’t.  I did find a 2016 entry from you where you thought 140 for 12 minutes on steam worked as well as sous vide.  We are  all probably thinking it depends on the corn Cobb 😬.  The 3 to 4minute microwave method is probably the easiest especially because the silk is removed easily AND the CSO would then be free for other foods.🙃

Yes, but - but - but - microwave = no steam.

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Not quite true. If you microwave it in the husk there is enough moisture there that it basically steams. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

But all the moisture in the corn inside the husk creates steam to cook the cob.  I feel a side by side comparison required.  Our corn looks grim in stores so it won’t be me.

I'm game to try this.  One cob in the husk, microwave 3? or 4? Minutes, in the husk.  CSO steam @150  for 30 minutes in the husk.  Is this the test we want?  Cobs around here are big this year.  Big and sweet.

Microwave done like this unless the cobbs are exceptionally large.

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I use the method posted here long ago by @shel.  Keep the corn in the husk and microwave for 3 minutes per ear.  Remove from the microwave then cut off the stem end just beyond the curve, towards the silk.  Then you squeeze the corn out of the husk from the silk end.  Holding it with a towel while squeezing helps if it’s hot. Slides right out with minimal to no silk.

If you cut too close to the stem it won’t slide out, so you’ve got to get just to the silk side of the fattest part.

I think the CSO treatment was naked 150 for 30 min.

awesome.  Maybe weigh the corn before cooking.

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Microwave done like this unless the cobbs are exceptionally large.

I think the CSO treatment was naked 150 for 30 min.

awesome.  Maybe weigh the corn before cooking.

Okay.  Naked in the CSO it is, dressed in the microwave.  I will weigh the cobs before husking.  I will likely try this on Tuesday as I need to pick up the corn.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm game to try this.  One cob in the husk, microwave 3? or 4? Minutes, in the husk.  CSO steam @150  for 30 minutes in the husk.  Is this the test we want?  Cobs around here are big this year.  Big and sweet.

Not 4 minutes unless you like your corn well cooked. Sometimes I do 2.5 minutes if the cob is smallish. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

As @Anna N said, not quite true, but my understanding is that veggies cook in the microwave by steaming from the inside out, using the water in the veggie.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I obtained two ears of corn this afternoon.  I cooked them 150F on steam in the CSO for 30 minutes.  As fine as any corn I've had.  Wish I had bought more.  I'm left with the question why @nathanm calls for corn on the cob 140F sous vide -- floating bags and all --  when he could easily run them through his Rational any day.  So much easier with a steam oven.

I may try 140F in the CSO but my thought was the CSO doesn't hold temperature as well as an anova bath.  I am happy with 150F in the CSO.

On August 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I like my corn on the crunchy side.  Could eat it raw with no problems 

We've been cooking it in our Instant Pot this year with great success.  2 minutes HP steam then quick release and it comes out excellent!

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.