• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amarone v Vin Jaune

gfron1

I fell in love with Vin Jaune a long time ago and just the other day I sampled a young amarone.  So I splurged and bought a good bottle of amarone and a decent vin jaune.  The reason I wanted both is the both reminded me of brandy. 

I want to get the most out of this so I'm appealing here for knowledge beyond wiki.  Anything that I should know?  And one specific thing is that I remember that I can cork vin jaune, but what about amarone?

Amarone.jpg

I'm also having a hard time imagining linkages between these two. If I was drawing connections between Amarone and the Jura, I'd look to Vin de Paille, which has similar raisination and none of the oxidated nature of Vin Jaune.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Huh.  My memory of vin jaune is about 6-7 years old but I remember it having a brandyish quality to it.  When I sampled the amarone just last week it reminded me of the same thing.   Maybe I'm way off base.  I guess I'll find out when I open them probably next weekend.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...