• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2014 – 2016)

minas6907

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, RWood said:

Peanut butter nougat and honey vanilla caramel with peanuts (sorta like a snickers). I made these to send to my dad for Father's Day/Birthday this weekend.  I used my usual caramel, and Greweling's peanut butter nougat, minus a lot of the molasses. Both his nougat and PB fudge has way too much, at least to me.

RWood - could you tell me what page the recipe for Greweling's Peanut Butter Nougat is on?  I looked in the Confections book but couldn't find it.  Thanks!

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 7:58 PM, curls said:

Thanks to @patris for sharing your marshmallow bars at the workshop in Toronto. This weekend I made two batches of marshmallow bars...

- vanilla marshmallow with peanut butter, chocolate and graham crackers

- cinnamon marshmallow with chocolate and graham crackers

IMG_4470-pbAndCinnamonMashmallowBars-lowres.jpg

Marshmallow Bars!  (Tri2Cook says with a note of hopeful curiosity.)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

21 minutes ago, pastryani said:

Playing with colors and luster dusts, peanut butter ganache inside. (sorry I don't know how to make the image smaller).

image.jpeg

So shiny... it's almost like the colors are being mirrored on a polished chrome surface.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Jim and Tri2cook.  I was playing with gold luster dust but it proved to be a bit tricky - next time I'll probably just use gold cocoa butter.  Re: the shine, I don't think I did anything different - I really think it's just the mold being shiny on the inside (and well-tempered chocolate - thx EZ!!).

• Like 1

@pastryani, those look like idealized views of Earth from orbit.  Beautiful!

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

Over dinner the other night some folks and I were reminiscing about "After Eight" thin mints and how we haven't had them in ages (they're not readily available here).

Here's my attempt at making them.  They're not as thin as the real thing, but somewhat thinner than Ghirardelli squares.

image.jpeg

Edited by pastryani (log)
  • Like 16

pastryani - those look amazing! Could you share with us how you made the semi-liquid filling? Was it firmer when you filled the chocolates and then it liquified? Also, I love the mold. So impressive!:x

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rajoress said:

pastryani - those look amazing! Could you share with us how you made the semi-liquid filling? Was it firmer when you filled the chocolates and then it liquified? Also, I love the mold. So impressive!:x

Thanks @rajoress  I was experimenting around - it was a bit of powdered sugar, a few drops of water, and peppermint extract (sorry I don't have measurements, I only made enough for 3 squares).  I chilled it in the fridge until there was a slight skin on top and then lightly nudged some chocolate over it.

• Like 5

Love this! I could always post some I guess but how they would survive transit. Hmm. Wonder if some of the inflated wine packaging I have might stand a chance....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tere said:

Love this! I could always post some I guess but how they would survive transit. Hmm. Wonder if some of the inflated wine packaging I have might stand a chance....

@Tere that is so sweet of you - thanks for such a nice thought!  It turns out they're available through Amazon if the hankering gets really strong. :P

• Like 1

On reflection, the wine packaging is pretty hardcore (like the individual wine pillow here onebottle_pack.jpg)

but sounds like you have true craving emergencies covered :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I guess I'm the only one posting in this thread anymore :)

Nice work. Been hot and humid where I live and as a home hobbyist at the beginner end of the scale, I don't have a work area set up to deal with those conditions. So for that and assorted other reasons, I haven't done much lately... not that what I do is all that exciting anyway. But the weather is already becoming more cooperative so I hope to get back to learning and posting some of my messes again soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

I guess you're the only one staying cool enough to make anything!  I'm pretty much taking the rest of August off - temps in the high 70's to 80'sF and a shared kitchen with poor ventilation make me more inclined to sit around eating ice cream than struggle with chocolate :S

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bentley said:

Lol Bentley I felt the same way so decided to not post, but now that you've paved the way, here goes! :D

Strawberry cream bonbons.

image.jpeg

• Like 11

OH!!!!! Pastryani----those are absolutely gorgeous!!!! Must wipe the drool off the keyboard once again. :D

I will be back to posting as soon as the house/shop is done, and all the equipment comes in.  Thank you for posting your beautiful pics!!! 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: