• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2014 – 2016)

minas6907

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

When I first saw at the photograph I thought you were going to "dress" the bunnies as Santas.  That was before I realized you were about to remelt them. 

Anna, that truly is an interesting mental image.

• Like 1

Heck, go for the gusto. A bunny in a Santa suit, with turkey tailfeathers and shamrock "bling" around his neck. Good for the whole year. :)

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

My (American) Thanksgiving turkey:

IMG_5785.JPG

I'm no Ewald Notter xD

Plus pecan marzipan with maldon salt and honey-walnut-cardamom marzipan with candied lemon, both dipped in 60% dark chocolate.

What fun! Great way to combine Easter & Thanksgiving too.  ;-)  Your chocolates sound delicious.

Did you see Ewald Notter's Thanksgiving showpiece...? It is gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...

The rest of the Thanksgiving chocolates... an almond cluster with mesquite smoked almonds & an update to the cranberry-orange piece. Cranberry-orange became cranberry pdf, candied ginger, and, orange ganache.

IMG_4685-almond clusters-lowres.jpgIMG_4693-cranberry oranage ginger-lowres.jpg

• Like 13

Those are darling!  It's a good thing I don't live near you.  I'd lose all hope of maintaining a decent weight.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

42 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Playing with a mold I've had for a while - while I had the airbrush out.

IMG_3715.jpg

Kerry those are shiny & gorgeous! What did you fill them with and how large is that mold?

1 hour ago, curls said:

Kerry those are shiny & gorgeous! What did you fill them with and how large is that mold?

Hazelnut gianduja - it's about 1 1/2 inches maybe. I have a smaller one too - they might be around 3/4 to an inch each.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My annual candymania is well under way. This is a strictly amateur production - I make candy once a year for holiday gifts so even when I improve my skills I tend to relapse and have to learn them all over the next year.  My equipment is minimal - a stainless steel bowl and a saute pan for melting chocolate, a silicone spatula and instant read thermometer for tempering, my preserving pan for sugar based candy. My husband did make me a set of confectionary bars. I have a lot more candy cook books than equipment. I have a ton of fun, my family and friends enjoy the result and when it is all over, my wonderful husband scrapes the chocolate and sugar off the kitchen floor and counters. 

Here is some of what I have done so far:

Greweling's hazelnut lattes

DSC01931.jpg

Coconut- lime white chocolate truffles and raspberry truffles - both from Carol Bloom's Truffles, Chocolates and Confections.

DSC01930.jpg

Dark chocolate truffles with kirsch and pistachios and plain dark chocolate truffles

DSC01932.jpg

White chocolate truffles with candied orange peel, dipped in dark chocolate and Greweling's gingerbread squares

DSC01929.jpg

Holiday fudge from @Chocolot 's book, Candymaking - one of my first candy books and one I use a lot. If I showed up at my brother's for Christmas without a batch of Amy's toffee I might not be allowed in.

DSC01933.jpg

And there is more to be made......

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

2 hours ago, ElainaA said:

White chocolate truffles with candied orange peel, dipped in dark chocolate and Greweling's gingerbread squares

DSC01929.jpg

I am curious about the contents of the plate in the background, behind the truffles w/ orange peel...?

8 minutes ago, Fernwood said:

I am curious about the contents of the plate in the background, behind the truffles w/ orange peel...?

I didn't realize that made it into the picture! I made pumpkin caramel molded chocolates and had some of the filling left over. Chilled, it was solid enough to make into vaguely rectangular blobs which I dipped in chocolate. I had a few squares of transfer sheet left from last year so I used them up too. I am a firm believer in repurposing. :P

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Is it over yet :P. I'm so behind this year.  But the chocolates are done.  I did a lot of painting with a gloved finger, transfer sheets and a paper cone. Couldn't deal with setting up the airbrush. 

Top going across:

Valrhona Dulcey, Passion Fruit, soft Rolo type caramel

Absinthe, Coffee, Peanut Butter

Peppermint, White Chocolate Coconut, Black Raspberry

Honey Caramel with Maldon

I think the red transfers are too old.  Only a few were decent, the rest seem faded.  

I really like the silver and copper I got on my last visit to Chef Rubber. 

IMG_0344.JPG

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kriz6912 said:

Sablé, dulce de leche, moulded milk chocolate.

And a short movie...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BORf7Bdjt8c/

056. Dulce bars_400.jpg

Looks like the perfect Twix!

• Like 4

One of my Christmas collections of chocolates:

Top row:  (1) layers of pear pâte de fruit and almond cream with pear brandy, molded in dark chocolate, (2) PB&J: layers of raspberry pâte de fruit and peanut butter meltaway, molded in milk chocolate, (3) coconut cream, molded in dark chocolate, (4) apple caramel, molded in milk chocolate

Middle row:  (1) gingerbread-flavored ganache, dipped in dark chocolate, (2) layers of hazelnut gianduja and coffee ganache, dipped in milk chocolate, (3) dark caramel with sea salt, molded in dark chocolate, (4) fig ganache with port, molded in dark chocolate

Bottom row:  (1) lemon cream, molded in white chocolate, (2) pistachio ganache, molded in milk chocolate, (3) layers of apricot pâte de fruit and mango ganache, molded in white chocolate, (4) banana and passion fruit caramel, molded in white chocolate

dutton2.jpg.c0f7ede7633a2a64b717aaba3a328e0d.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Removed extraneous images per member's request (log)
  • Like 12

Sort of indirectly this belongs on the Confections thread. Each Easter and November I get together with the ladies of St Luke's Church to make eggs and barks (I talked them into the barks a couple of years ago as a cost effective fund raiser). Previous to this they had been making only gingerbread houses at Christmas to raise funds - IMHO they weren't charging enough for their houses and they needed something more. They sold a lot more house 'kits' this year instead of completed houses - again more cost effective - and put the price up at my urging. The funds they raise go to support El Hogar in Honduras. 

So today this was delivered to my home - it has my house number on it. They were going to make one based on the design of my house but ran out of time.

IMG_3835.jpg

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sort of indirectly this belongs on the Confections thread. Each Easter and November I get together with the ladies of St Luke's Church to make eggs and barks (I talked them into the barks a couple of years ago as a cost effective fund raiser). Previous to this they had been making only gingerbread houses at Christmas to raise funds - IMHO they weren't charging enough for their houses and they needed something more. They sold a lot more house 'kits' this year instead of completed houses - again more cost effective - and put the price up at my urging. The funds they raise go to support El Hogar in Honduras. 

So today this was delivered to my home - it has my house number on it. They were going to make one based on the design of my house but ran out of time.

IMG_3835.jpg

I love the gumdrop lady out front

• Like 5