• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2014 – 2016)

minas6907

They are made under vacuum - not an easy thing to do at home.

Even at your home??

But out of interest, how do they do it?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

attachicon.gifIMG_0412.jpg

Continuing prep for fun fair this Thursday - I made a couple of pans of Rice Krispie treats that I then dipped in milk chocolate and drizzled with dark.

If I might return to this post and ask a question of Kerry. 

The Rice Krispie treats do not present a smooth surface but are full of nicks and crannies which when I dipped them took up an inordinate amount of chocolate.  :blush:   I gave up in frustration partway through, having exhausted my supply of tempered chocolate.  A few days later, when I had some leftover tempered chocolate after dipping some pretzel logs, I tried brushing the chocolate onto the krispie treats with one of those small silicone pastry brushes and it worked well...but would have been too much work for the entire production.

Now the question:  did you simply dip the treat into a container of chocolate and this worked well?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Since the kids and grandkids will be over tomorrow, I decided I needed some treats for them. I've been playing with the Eztemper, but mostly with dark chocolate. Today, I made some crackle bar by adding Rice Krispies to milk chocolate. It only took 15 minutes from 100F degree chocolate to finished bars. The Eztemper silk is a beautiful thing.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Less than 5 minutes later

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Finished  15 minutes total!!

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

• Like 7

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

If I might return to this post and ask a question of Kerry. 

The Rice Krispie treats do not present a smooth surface but are full of nicks and crannies which when I dipped them took up an inordinate amount of chocolate.  :blush:   I gave up in frustration partway through, having exhausted my supply of tempered chocolate.  A few days later, when I had some leftover tempered chocolate after dipping some pretzel logs, I tried brushing the chocolate onto the krispie treats with one of those small silicone pastry brushes and it worked well...but would have been too much work for the entire production.

Now the question:  did you simply dip the treat into a container of chocolate and this worked well?

Thanks.

Yup - just dip into a container of tempered milk chocolate - they do use a fair amount - and because they are such good insulators they need to go into the fridge fairly quickly or the latent heat of crystallization can actually cause them to bloom.

Thanks Kerry. I  used a combination of  70% and 54% dark chocolate and did not have any trouble with bloom.   Didn't put them into the fridge either...didn't realize that I should have.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just had a quick question, and thought to post here rather then start a whole new topic. Recently, the Restaurant Depot by my place started carrying more Callebaut products. Until now, they never really had any cocoa powder worth checking out, but they started stocking two cocoa powders from Callabeut. Would someone be able to chime in to tell me the difference between the regular and the one labeled high fat? What are the different applications? I've never done much more with cocoa powder other then use as a coating for truffles (and more recently, for panned items). I always had a container of Hersheys that would get used very slowly, sometimes my wife would bake an items or something, but it just doesnt get used much. Would I notice a drastic difference with the high fat powder? Would it be worth getting a bag of both? Or just one over the other? I have a bag of powder from Luker Cacao, and have yet to open it, like I said, I just dont use it much. Anyways, I saw these bags and wanted to inquire before making a purchase.

Cocoa Powder.jpg

High fat simply means it has a higher % of cocoa butter left in it. When I bake, say, a cake with the higher fat cocoa butter, the cake seems moister, but this could just be my imagination!

Yeah, I do understand that, ive just never used the product. I suppose qhat I was wondering is, if you tasted the powders side by side, would you notice a difference? Or like what keychris said, does it make the most difference when its added to a baked item? Id just be using it as a dusting powder, and from words on each package, there doesnt seems to be a difference in color. Ill probably end up getting a bag of the high fat the next time I'm in, I just wanted to ask first.

Heres the latest from my kitchen:

I got some sample boxes, I like the black ones with the raised pattern on them. So I ordered two sizes, one for 6 pc, and another for 12 pc. The company sent me double of my order, and told me to keep them, so I did. I initially thought it was odd when I had so many packages on my door step. Anyways, pictured in the box are enrobed chipotle caramels with smoked salt.

Next are enrobed coffee caramels, then banana taffies, some more molds I had gotton off of ebay from a seller getting rid of a ton of them, most in very good condition. So I just make some bonbons, the centers are a raspberry chipotle butter ganache. Then we have almonds panned in milk chocolate, and finally blueberries panned with white chocolate.

2015-05-26 14.41.24.jpg

2015-05-26 14.44.36.jpg

2015-05-26 14.51.14.jpg

2015-06-03 14.07.22.jpg

2015-06-11 12.01.47.jpg

2015-06-25 15.45.31-1.jpg

• Like 12

Yeah, I do understand that, ive just never used the product. I suppose qhat I was wondering is, if you tasted the powders side by side, would you notice a difference? Or like what keychris said, does it make the most difference when its added to a baked item? Id just be using it as a dusting powder, and from words on each package, there doesnt seems to be a difference in color. Ill probably end up getting a bag of the high fat the next time I'm in, I just wanted to ask first.

I use the Cacao Barry version of the 22/24 it's much nicer and strong then any I've used. That is my opinion. If you want to sweeten it a bit just mix with a little icing sugar.

Great hot cacao recipe with the 22/24 is 1 part cacao / 2 parts sugar a nd a little vanilla beans in the jar to enhance the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Cacao Barry version of the 22/24 it's much nicer and strong then any I've used. That is my opinion. If you want to sweeten it a bit just mix with a little icing sugar.

Great hot cacao recipe with the 22/24 is 1 part cacao / 2 parts sugar a nd a little vanilla beans in the jar to enhance the mix.

Ok, thanks for that! I ended up not purchasing the Callebaut powder. I already had purchased a bag of cocoa powder from Luker Cacao, and when I looked at it I realized it actually was high fat. I dont use cocoa powder for too much, so I dont want to start hoarding it haha. And cool tip actually, about the recipe for hot cocoa, I never thought to store the vanilla bean in a cocoa mix, I'd totally be down for that, sounds a lot more interesting them just storing it in sugar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not being much of a maker of confections, I don't often post in this forum, though I do lurk to admire others' works of art. But my daughter, the Pinterest queen, found a "pin" for Rice Krispy Treat "starfish" she wanted me to make for my grandson's "beach party" birthday.

One makes the standard Rice Krispy treat, rolled out thinner than common on a cookie sheet, and cuts into star shapes. Then one frosts them (I used a commercially prepared caramel frosting), and dips in graham cracker crumbs, pressing to be certain the crumbs completely cover and adhere to the frosting. Then one puts "eyes" (little candy buttons) on them.

Wish I had a photo of the finished product. They were kinda cute. And I got to eat the trimmings.

starfish.JPG

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I redid the photography for my last 2 chocolates...

Popping Feeling...
milk + dark chocolate ganache & lavender & lemon jenever, hazelnut praliné & milk chocolate & popping candy, dipped milk chocolate

Coffee...
milk chocolate ganache & grinded coffee, dipped milk chocolate

026. Popping Feeling.jpg

027. Coffee.jpg

• Like 4