• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2014 – 2016)

minas6907

Love everything posted above! My contributions to the Thanksgiving dessert table (which was laden!):

-maple walnut fudge

-truffled almonds

-pecans with cinnamon sugar meringue

-milk chocolate/crisp rice turkeys and pine cones

Thanks for looking!

Ruth

thanksgiving14.jpg

• Like 3

I have been working on a couple new flavors for the holidays.  Pomegranate marshmallows and egg nog caramels, and both turned out pretty good.  I know I will definitely be making a lot more egg nog caramels this year.  Now I am working on coming up with a way to make peppermint caramels, I'm thinking using peppermint schnapps and peppermint oil, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

image (4).jpg

image (2).jpg

• Like 3

Hello all - I'm full into my holiday chocolate production! A few things I've made - nut barks, peppermint bark, toasted walnut toffee, cashew turtles, peanut butter cups, mints, and numerous chocolate covered items. I always run out of plastic containers at this time of year! I have caramel corn and some Hanukkah treats still to go.

Here are a few pics. Hope everyone has wonderful holidays! Thanks for looking,

Ruth 

nonpareils.jpg

mints.jpg

chocolates2014.jpg

• Like 3

Twenty-four 1/2 pound boxes of Enstrom copy-cat toffee ready for delivery tomorrow morning at the Moab Humane Society Dog Adoption Morning for the society's Volunteers for Christmas.  Whew!  Done. P1010002_20.JPG  Not an exciting photo, but still significant.

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Very impressive, Darienne...and for an excellent cause!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Gorgeous pics, Ruth!  Are you selling at a show, or gift-giving? 

I hear ya, though. !  It's Full Production mode here too, for a craft show tomorrow.   I'm about to go dip the figgies in some dark chocolate, and sprinkle with some Himalayan pink salt.  Then, finish the peppermint bark, and then the dark choc. sea salt caramels, and the sugar plum truffles.., etc...

Yep...I'll be up all night, but I love it!  Hope you're having fun!!!!  A

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Thanks Chocomom - I am selling to colleagues, friends and family members and their colleagues and mainly folks who need gifts for the holidays. Sometimes the word of mouth just spreads!  I'm at it all night after work and all weekend but it's my creative side coming out - I work in accounting/finance all day!

Best of luck to you!

Ruth

Yesterday was a snow day - so instead of cleaning out my dad's basement I got a few things done around the house.  A batch of strawberry marshmallow, caramel for dipping apples and pretzel rods.  

This morning I drizzled milk chocolate on the caramel and pecan encrusted pretzel rods, then this evening I attempted to finish off the apples as Chocolot and I had seen at Ethyl M.  They clearly have a lot more experience than I - and I suspect they are using smaller apples.  Live and learn - next apples will be much smaller as it makes them easier to hold between two fingers for the drizzling process.

photo.jpg

I also unmolded the reindeer and sleigh that keychris showed earlier in this thread - I'm going to have to build some wheels for the disabled reindeer.  

photo 2.jpg

• Like 7

Way to go, Darienne! Now you can relax for a day or two? I hope so.

What a lot of work to do this evening, Chocomom. Hope you do get a few hours of sleep. I am sure the results will be amazing though.

Beautiful apples, Kerry! And what a sweet little reindeer. Poor fellow taking a nosedive but I am sure the wheels will fix him up.

Santa's elves are a busy lot this year! I am highly impressed. :)

• Like 2

heh, nice to see someone else do that, Kerry :P If the body is just a fraction too fat, the legs don't go on so good, chocolate not being so flexible and all that!

I end up shaving just a little out of the leg cavities with a knife if this happens, makes them fit perfectly :)

heh, nice to see someone else do that, Kerry :P If the body is just a fraction too fat, the legs don't go on so good, chocolate not being so flexible and all that!

I end up shaving just a little out of the leg cavities with a knife if this happens, makes them fit perfectly :)

Exactly what I suspected was happening.  The other one fit so well - I could see these legs just didn't quite want to slide on! 

Way to go, Darienne! Now you can relax for a day or two? I hope so.

What a lot of work to do this evening, Chocomom. Hope you do get a few hours of sleep. I am sure the results will be amazing though.

Beautiful apples, Kerry! And what a sweet little reindeer. Poor fellow taking a nosedive but I am sure the wheels will fix him up.

Santa's elves are a busy lot this year! I am highly impressed. :)

Deryn: No rest for the weary. ha ha! My 16 year old daughter usually helps me this time of year, but it seems that hitting the slopes ranked higher on Friday...so I worked all the way through the night by myself, and made it to the show location by 8:45 to set up Sat. morning. I sold all day and we packed up around 3pm. and I came home and crashed. My 9 year old is so sweet, she made a pot of coffee for me before she went to bed Friday night. I sipped on it all through the night, figuring it would perk me up. It didn't. Saturday around 4am, I discovered that it was decaf. :blink:

From a sales standpoint, it was great. I ended up with special orders coming out of my ears, so I am heading back in to the shop later today. Who knew that chocolate dipped figs would be such a hit?! I'm thrilled with the reception after being out of it for nearly 4 years!

I hope everyone is doing well, and have a terrific time with their confectionary masterpieces!!!

Andrea

• Like 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Here's a couple of my confections I've been working on:

attachicon.gifIMG_1790-resized.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1793-resized.JPG

Top one is the new design for my "Irish Kiss" a milk chocolate Irish creme liqueur and the bottom one is a test batch for a friend of a milk chocolate peanut butter bar.  Was playing around with the spraying "splatter" technique off on off-set spatula we learned while in Vegas, as well as the bottom layer of the bar is an alteration from the "oat crunch" we learned in the Master's class.  That part is still a work in progress...

Gorgeous work!  I know it's been discussed before but how do you get those beautiful lines in your Irish Kiss?  They're perfect!

Gorgeous work!  I know it's been discussed before but how do you get those beautiful lines in your Irish Kiss?  They're perfect!

Thank you! And keychris is right, I just use a parchment piping bag so I can cut a super small hole for piping and then pipe the lines before casting in dark.  I think having the right mold is key though as I've tried this with a deeper mold with less than successful results.  The mold I currently use is #1217 from Chocolate World, I purchased it at Chef Rubber when I was down in Vegas for the conference this spring.

I realize its been a while since I've posted here! married life has been busy, and the apartments finally put together. Anywho, heres the latest items I've done over the past few months. Hope everyone enjoys!

Heres the rundown:

-Strawberry pate de fruit

-Wasabi bonbon

-Nutmeg fondants enrobed in a caramelized white chocolate

-Remember that acrylic mold I had a question about being food safe? (> Well I got it and made some bonbons with it! I like how tall they came out, but didnt see that little tiny angle on the top of each cavity before I bought it, so the bottoms of the chocolate pieces have sort of a border if that makes sense. All in all, I wouldnt use it again for bonbons, but it would definitly work to make chocolate cups for other desserts.

-Peach pate de fruit

-Berlingots

-Candy sticks

-Lollis

-Caramels with cacao nibs

-Caramels with sea salt

-And finally, for a baby shower for a close friend, bonbons with a raspberry butter ganache.

2014-09-11 14.15.07.jpg

2014-10-21 13.54.41.jpg

2014-11-11 14.56.08.jpg

2014-12-10 15.35.56.jpg

2014-12-17 14.32.33.jpg

2014-12-17 14.34.34.jpg

2014-12-17 14.40.11.jpg

2014-12-17 14.41.55.jpg

2014-12-17 15.01.43.jpg

2014-12-17 15.09.58.jpg

2014-12-18 14.53.01.jpg

• Like 16

Here are the chocolates I made for Christmas this year.  Where appropriate, the list includes the principal source of the recipe.

First Row:  (1) Piña Colada in white chocolate, (2) citrus cream (orange, lemon, lime) in white, (3) gingerbread  in dark (Greweling), (4) mint cream in dark (Notter), (5) pumpkin cream in milk.

Second Row:  (1) layers of cinnamon and yuzu flavored with ginger in milk (Notter), (2) banana and passion fruit caramel in white (Wybauw), (3) raspberry coulis and orange-flavored dark ganache in dark (Notter), (4) layers of hazelnut praline and coffee ganache in milk (Shotts), (5) layers of soft caramel and coconut cream in dark (Curley).

Third Row:  (1) chocolate chip cookie in dark, (2) apricot ganache in white, (3) apple caramel in milk (eGullet's Tikidoc), (4) cherry kirsch in dark (Greweling).

dutton-christmas2014.jpg

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 14