• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2014 – 2016)

minas6907

Wow. Congratulations on two fronts – – your wedding and your beautiful chocolates. Much happiness always.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely work and presentation, as always, minas6907! Congratulations on candies and wedding.

Extra special thanks for carrying the non-chocolate confections banner. I know chocolates are the sexy, and there's a whole lot they can do, but really well made taffy or marshmallow or fudge can be even harder to get.

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Hiya all,

I am new newbie and recently chocolate bug bit me.

Here is my first attempt.

So far what I have learnt (from internet) is that chocolate needs tempering and pouring in shiny

object in order to get a gloss finish.

Instead of buying expensive chocolate moulds I improvised and used empty egg tray.

Here is the finish result.

Please post your reviews.

Thanks.

DSC03079 - Copy.JPG

• Like 7

Looks pretty darn good for a first time and using an egg tray in place of a mold.  Looks like you got fairly reasonable temper which is defiantly the first trick to master.  Don't be surprised if your next attempts are more disappointing - it often happens that way - but persistence pays off.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck on your chocolate making adventure. I think the best advice is to be patient and be prepared to make the same recipes over and over again to get them just right and to build your skill. Don't be discouraged by any less-than-perfect batches - it's part of the learning process (this is art and science combined!). Keep posting photos and questions, this is community is extremely supportive and eager to help!  

Those caramels look delicious! I made black forest truffles from Greweling's Confections at Home. I was looking for something a little sophisticated for a co-worker at the last minute and happened to have everything in the house. They're delicious cold out of the fridge. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

blackforesttruffles.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of my confections I've been working on:

IMG_1790-resized.JPG

IMG_1793-resized.JPG

Top one is the new design for my "Irish Kiss" a milk chocolate Irish creme liqueur and the bottom one is a test batch for a friend of a milk chocolate peanut butter bar.  Was playing around with the spraying "splatter" technique off on off-set spatula we learned while in Vegas, as well as the bottom layer of the bar is an alteration from the "oat crunch" we learned in the Master's class.  That part is still a work in progress...

• Like 10

he's a milk chocolate reindeer, yes :) it's just a cheap silicon mould (perhaps for gingerbread), you then just put it together :)

Is that mold available online somewhere? I tried every variation I could think of in google and got nothing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Is that mold available online somewhere? I tried every variation I could think of in google and got nothing.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/18208/Santas-Sleigh-Mould

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Sleigh-Reindeer-Christmas-Chocolate/dp/B00F46BZOK

"lakeland santa's sleigh" should get you enough hits to start with :)

Who would have thought that reindeer and sleigh would be so popular? I've already had orders for 6 of them! That's 1kg for each... better go get some more chocolate.

Had this mould delivered all the way from the US of A a few days ago - even with the exchange rate and postage, cheaper than moulds here in Australia. Ridiculous.

10433133_586493554811856_591344110674479

• Like 5