• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Ideas for Beef

CatPoet

I have manage to get hold of of really good ox meat for stews and skewers, but I am a  but stuck on what to do.  I tend to panic and make the same stew or steak and ale pie  and it is getting a bit boring.

So any  recipes for  skewer type dishes, stews, casseroles or curries  that you like and you think I might like.

And as always  no citrus fruit, no wine ( too expensive), no coffee, no roses, no condensed milk ( yes, seen that in a stew) and no pre made soups ,  I do have a stove, a steamer and dutch oven  but no barbecue .

Please help, I am stuck.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

what if you braised some, shredded and made stuffed pasta?  I do an oxtail marmalade that I use to make ravioli... but it IS rich.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh I have  everything for making ravioli.   This isnt oxtail but  it might work  any way.  Give me the recipe and I see if it is doable.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

So any  recipes for  skewer type dishes, stews, casseroles or curries  that you like and you think I might like.

And as always  no citrus fruit, no wine ( too expensive), no coffee, no roses, no condensed milk ( yes, seen that in a stew) and no pre made soups ,

What about beer?  I've made a wonderful beef stew a couple of times using Guiness.

... Shel

Beer is ok, it wont break the bank  with buying a bottle or two.

What about beer? 

That was the first thing that came to my mind, as well.  One of our family's very favorites, and a favorite for entertaining.

Flemish Beer Stew - "Carbonnade"

You can google for recipes, or try this one.  It's basically the one I use:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Beef-Beer-Stew

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Coffee is a  no go but I am going to  a chili shop in two weeks and if they have the chilies, i might make this.

Jaymes,  Will a  Duvel  do or should I go for a Westmalle tripel ?

I actually have that  recipe but never made it and I have eaten it in The Netherlands  and of course then served with  fries.  

I actually have that  recipe but never made it and I have eaten it in The Netherlands  and of course then served with  fries.  

Golly, I'll admit that I just make it with whatever beer I have in the fridge.  That's usually a dark beer like Paulaner or Spaten Octoberfest.  The other dark beers I always have are two that you probably are not familiar with and can't get - Shiner Bock and Dos XX dark.

Honestly, I have made Carbonnade so many times throughout the years, and as long as you don't use a light beer, I think you'll be fine.  If you have a particularly bitter beer, be sure to add just a pinch of brown sugar to counteract it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

How about beef rendang? A couple of cans of coconut milk, a sachet of prepared spices, some boiling, then leave to slow cook for an hour or 2. If you find you like it, you can probably find a from-scratch recipe on these boards.

Balsamic vinegar mixed with 50% water is a fine substitute for red wine. Sherry vinegar plus water will sub for white wine.

Julia Child used dry vermouth as a general substitute for wine, as it is low cost, loaded with herbs, and keeps well in the fridge after opening.

I have manage to get hold of of really good ox meat for stews and skewers, but I am a  but stuck on what to do.  I tend to panic and make the same stew or steak and ale pie  and it is getting a bit boring.

And as always  no citrus fruit, no wine ( too expensive), no coffee, no roses, no condensed milk ( yes, seen that in a stew) and no pre made soups ,  I do have a stove, a steamer and dutch oven  but no barbecue .

Please help, I am stuck.

What about Carbonade Flamande (to go the beer route), Why is coffee a no go as it is nice in chili, Other options could be bigos if you like cabbage/sauerkraut or a tagine with beef or you could use it to make a ragu with pasta

A lambic is the best. My favorite is kriek, but if you can't find that then a framboise will do.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

If you have really good Belgian beers or lambics, drink them. Anything full-bodied, and possibly on the dark side will work for cooking. The beer can flat and even a bit stale ... won't matter. The more delicate flavors are going to vanish.

Notes from the underbelly

Vermouth cost  21 dollar here, a  drinkable one, so it is a no go.  That would cost as much at the 3 kilo of meat I got.

I love kriek, but I dont get the great one here.  Cherry flavour with meat, does that really work?   I  think I go for a  trappist,  the westmalle is most often a good beer.

I know I cant be allergic to coffee but my body sometimes react to it anyway, it thinks it is mold and  I swell up and my throat starts to bleed.  Not fun at all.

Rendang, is lovely, I have to ask  Mr B for her  from scratch recipe, I lost it in a  computer crash.

I love kriek, but I dont get the great one here.  Cherry flavour with meat, does that really work?   I  think I go for a  trappist,  the westmalle is most often a good beer.

Hard to find great ones here too.  But for this it doesn't matter.  All the best versions I had in Belgium and the area were made with Lambics, so that's what I modeled mine after.  My mother-in-law is Belgian and she says she wishes she could make it as good as me!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Then I check for a kriek when I am off for the big City. Even if the government controlled alcohol store should have the same thing every where it isnt the reality. 

Vermouth cost  21 dollar here, a  drinkable one, so it is a no go.  That would cost as much at the 3 kilo of meat I got.

I know I cant be allergic to coffee but my body sometimes react to it anyway, it thinks it is mold and  I swell up and my throat starts to bleed.  Not fun at all.

Rendang, is lovely, I have to ask  Mr B for her  from scratch recipe, I lost it in a  computer crash.

Well, I wouldn't worry about getting the exact "right" beer.  Especially if it's a bit of a hassle for you.  Even if you decide on making something else this go 'round, it's obvious that sooner or later you're going to have to give the Carbonnade a go. 

After I first recommended it way back at the beginning of this thread, there have been two more recommendations.  So, three of us can't be wrong, right?

And, I seriously have been making this for some thirty years, at least once a month during cool weather.  It's an especially terrific choice for entertaining groups that have just come in from the cold - like from the skate pond, or ski slope, or sled hill.  That's a lot of beef & beer under the proverbial bridge.  Of course, as with all recipes, some ingredients are more ideal than others, but the basic recipe is so good that even if you can't find the exact perfect beer, you should just go ahead and try it with what you can find.  It's one of the world's classic great dishes.

And don't forget to get back with us and let all of us Carbonnade fans know how it went.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

mgaretz:  I must ask about why are using caramel coloring?  Is it just for  looks ?

Well I now have  four recipes of Carbonnade, thanks to the friend who served me it in the Netherlands , so I am making it  and I am using kriek. 

Any skewer ideas??

mgaretz:  I must ask about why are using caramel coloring?  Is it just for  looks ?

Well I now have  four recipes of Carbonnade, thanks to the friend who served me it in the Netherlands , so I am making it  and I am using kriek. 

Any skewer ideas??

In our family, beef skewers are the number-one most-popular summertime meal.  We prefer a Greek/Med/Middle Eastern treatment. And the sides are good, healthful, easy - hummus, tabuli, labneh, preserved lemons, pita bread, etc.  Thread an assortment of veggies onto the skewers along with the meat - onions, peppers, big button mushrooms, squash.

Marinate, and then grill outdoors over the barbie.

If it's raining or something else precludes the outdoor barbecue grill, we broil them in the oven.

Here's a typical marinade: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/middle-eastern-beef-kabobs-recipe.html

Oh, and PS, just in case you're going to be using wooden (rather than metal) skewers and you're not familiar with them - you need to give them a good soaking in water first, so they don't catch fire on the grill.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143989-lunch-whatd-ya-have-2012%E2%80%932014/page-7?p=1910272#entry1910272

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148424-dinner-2014-part-3/page-7#entry1971509

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146719-breakfast-2014/page-7#entry1959812

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146717-dinner-2014-part-1/page-2?hl=%2Bbeef+%2Bshin#entry1948725

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145414-dinner-2013-part-4/page-16?hl=%2Bbeef+%2Bshin#entry1932323

etc