• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Permafrost roast/Tjälknöl/ Backward roast

CatPoet

This recipe is called Tjälknul in Sweden with means permafrost lump, I used to called Permafrost Roast but then none-Swedes would mess the steps up. So a Swiss friend said why you dont call it Backward Roast and I agreed. So you start of with a frozen lump of meat, you marinate it after it has been cooked and it is served cold. This seams too be hard for none Swedes to figure out, but trust me when you get your head around the idea about cooking while sleeping, you will love this recipe. It is all my guest favorite summer time food."   Backward roast, Permafrost roast, Tjälknöl
Servings: 12

•  
  •  
  • 1½ kilo / 3.3 pound of frozen meat (has to be frozen solid). You can use lamb, pork, beef or game.
  •  
  • Marinade 1.
  • 4 cups of water
  • 6½ tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
  • 1 crushed bayleaf
  • 15 crushed juniper berries.
  •  
  • Mariande 2.
  • 4 cups water
  • 6 tablespoons salt
  • 1 small yellow onion cut in chunks
  • 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2 big bunches of fresh herbs anything goes.
  •  
  • Marinade 3.
  • 4 cups unsweetenend apple juice or cider ( non alcoholic).
  • 6 tablespoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of liquid salt
  • 1 small yellow onion cut in chunks
  • 1 cup o fresh sage leafs.
  • 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns.

1. In the evening take out your solid frozen lump of meat from the freezer. Find a heatproof bucket, cooking pot or jar or bowl with lid, the meat has to fit sort of snugly in it and have 1- 2 inches free space. When you found put it a side for the morning. Plonk the meat on to a normal roasting tray and shove it into the oven. Turn the heat to 170F and now yawn and go to bed. Get a healthy eight of sleep before you go up and push a thermometer in the meat. For beef, lamb and game, 140F = red, 158F = pink and 170 F= done. Pork , let become 176 done and 186 for well done ( might crumble). Dont worry if the meat is too hot, it wont be dry.
  2. If the meat hasnt reached the temperature by now leave it until it has. It can take 4 more hours.
  3. When done, add the meat to the container you found last night and leave to rest while you are doing the marinade.
  4. Choose one of the marinades for your meat.
  5. Marinade 1, goes perfect with game and beef.
  6. Just throw everything into a pot, cook for 4 minutes,remove from the heat and cool for 10 min and pour over the meat.
  7. Marinade 2. This one works for most meats. Add everything but the herbs in to a pot and cook for 4 minutes and cool for 10 min. Place the herbs all around the meat and pour over marinade.
  8. Marinade 3. Pork works wonders with this.
  9. Just add everything into a pot, cook for 4 minutes and cool for 10. Pour the marinade over the meat.
  10. This goes for All of the marinades you have chosen. Let it cool down some what before putting in the fridge. Leave the meat to marinate for 4- 5 hours. You have remove the meat from the marinade after 5 hours or it will be horrible salty. I always remove pork after  4 hours.
  11. Slice the meat in thin slices  and served COLD. Perfect for the summer or a smörgåsbord. You can have a warm side dish or sauce to it or just potato salad. I most often serve it  cooked  new potatoes and a herb and yogurt sauce,.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.