• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting two-ingredient cocktails?

Craig E

Don't tell anyone I mentioned this, but I hear a favorite guzzle lately is a nice glass of cider invaded by a shot of Campari.

This, but with Becherovka. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

PBR with several heavy dashes of bitters. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Becherovka + most things, honestly. 

Aperol and Campari Spritzes may count, though I prefer them with soda water to cut the Prosecco, and a dash of lemon to battle the sweetness. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Don't tell anyone I mentioned this, but I hear a favorite guzzle lately is a nice glass of cider invaded by a shot of Campari.

This, but with Miller High Life.

ETA: Craig beat me to it.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Gin and bitters (Pink gin)

Campari and vermouth (Milano-Torino)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Chilled Stolly and chilled kombu ponzu.  Especially in the heat, when your electrolytes might need a boost.  Non-alcohol version: iced water & KP.

And I wasn't joking about champagne (methode champenoise) spiked with scotch whisky (blend / malt).  There are lots of permutations, but where straight whisky can be challenging, champagne has a tendency to go glug-glug-glug and then you wonder where it went.  Put them together!

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I once mixed Drambuie and Ramazzotti.  It was way better than it has any right to be.

• Like 1

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I've had that in my locale as well. A nice vacation from Fernet/Coke.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome.

I know Gabriella Mlynarczyk at ink in LA infuses gin with kombu for her Dirty Martini, which is a similar idea.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Fino sherry and Fever Tree tonic or bitter lemon, with optional lemon bitters. A nice variation on the Andalusian Rebujito (fino and Sprite). 

Grapefruit juice and Cardamaro. Actually, grapefruit juice and most amari. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 3 months later...

I second the Brave Bull. I like Black Russians just fine, but replacing the vodka with white tequila really livens it up.

Another fine two-ingredient drink is the French Connection—equal parts Cognac and Grand Marnier in a snifter, neat. It's good after a meal when you want something sweet, but not cloying.